BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those members (or guests) who have not viewed davidoli's long running thread recently, in which the above titled BMW Car Magazine special is discussed, I thought I'd lift its profile and highlight it via a dedicated thread.

This special, 163-page booklet (£8.99 from Unity Media) combines most of the magazine's past articles covering all four incarnations of the M5, plus the original E12 M535i and a few other lesser known editions of the M5 - including the mothballed prototype of the E34 M5 convertible.

Although any longterm subscriber to the parent magazine will have read all or most of these articles in years gone by, it is good to have them published collectively in a single, high quality, handy reference book such as this.

One small gripe however, upon receipt of my copy today via airmail from the UK, is that the spine was damaged/torn and the front cover was dog-eared at the top corner, despite the book being packaged in a jiffy bag. I feel that a little more packaging care is needed, such as a light cardboard sheath to protect the cover during transit.

Now I don't want to detract in any way from the excellent articles contained in this book, and I mean no disrespect at all to the journalists, photographers, editors and the featured car owners themselves, but in my view, for a little more effort and a few more pages, they could have turned this into the 'absolute ultimate M5 guide': firstly by including a section detailing all of the M5 series production data, and further by introducing some more fresh material not already published.

And from an E28 M5 perspective, it was disappointing to see the NA-spec cars virtually excluded from this book, with only one sentence in a single article acknowledging the existence of both the SA and NA spec cars - no pictures or articles featuring these variants.

Owners and enthusiasts in the wider forum may disagree, but as good as this special is, I would gladly have paid another couple of £'s for a more complete and comprehensive guide, mailed in a more robust form of packaging.:Thumbdown::M5thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Did it take over 10 days to arrive?
I still have not received mine and its going on a couple weeks. Is there a number to call?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I still have not received mine and its going on a couple weeks.
I ordered mine on December the first and it thirteen days later on the 14th (UK to the Netherlands); I can imagine that it requires a few more days to the US, especially given the current seasonal peak in mail-business and the bad waether disrupting flight-operations.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
And from an E28 M5 perspective, it was disappointing to see the NA-spec cars virtually excluded from this book, with only one sentence in a single article acknowledging the existence of both the SA and NA spec cars - no pictures or articles featuring these variants.
From a broather perspective, you are right, however, BMW Car is a publication whose primary market is the UK. Given Bob's introduction in which he states that this is a collection of their best M5 publications of the past fifteen years, I didn't suspect otherwise. IMHO, the absence of the LHD variants is not a miss at all as the magazine contains heaps of valuable information for any M5 enthusiast. A dedicated publication with exclusive material would cost a whole lot more time to compile resulting in a much higher end-cost to the customer. For GBP8.99, the BMW Car publication is an excellent booklet that adds much value, not only from an ownership perspective, but also from an enthusiast perspective. This booklet will without a doubt help to enhance the M5's position in the market and for that I am Bob and Seb extremely gratefull.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have not received mine and its going on a couple weeks. Is there a number to call?
My order was processed on 07 Dec and it arrived here ten days later (18 Dec NZ time), which is pretty good service.
I hope yours turns up soon and that, unlike my copy, it arrives undamaged.

Reactions: Tyson1868

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
From a broather perspective, you are right, however, BMW Car is a publication whose primary market is the UK. Given Bob's introduction in which he states that this is a collection of their best M5 publications of the past fifteen years, I didn't suspect otherwise. IMHO, the absence of the LHD variants is not a miss at all as the magazine contains heaps of valuable information for any M5 enthusiast. A dedicated publication with exclusive material would cost a whole lot more time to compile resulting in a much higher end-cost to the customer. For GBP8.99, the BMW Car publication is an excellent booklet that adds much value, not only from an ownership perspective, but also from an enthusiast perspective. This booklet will without a doubt help to enhance the M5's position in the market and for that I am Bob and Seb extremely gratefull.
I agree with most of these comments Raymond, but I feel I must add that the magazine would not be the success it is today without its international subscribers, who are not only attracted by the excellent UK-based articles, but also the frequent articles featuring BMW's from many other parts of the world, in both northern and southern hemispheres.

For £8.99 this special is a great collection of re-printed articles on the M5 that any true enthusiast would welcome under their Christmas tree, but with a little more work on enhancing the content, and retailing for say £14.99, it could have been a superb reference book, with a much wider appeal and, dare I say it, more sales revenue for the publishers.:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, after I emailed the nice people at Unity Media to complain about the transit damage to my copy of the M5 special, they have kindly sent me another one and have promised better packaging this time.
That is great customer service, and I look forward to its arrival sometime in the New Year. :M5thumbs:

Reactions: davidoli

·
10,458 Posts
i'm still waiting on mine as well. Hopefully the US bound copies are not coming thru the normal US importer, they can be painfully slow. I placed my order when i saw the thread, on 12/1 and nothing yet in california.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The January 2011 issue of BMW Car - just received - has the E34 M5 Buying Guide reproduced again for us, followed by the ad for the M5 special, which they are promoting as "The Must-Have Bookazine For Every BMW Fan".
"Bookazine" - I like that term.
The same issue also has an article on the awesome Alpina E28 B7 Turbo, of which a total of 278 were built.:M5thumbs:

·
10,458 Posts
mine arrived yesterday!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Second time lucky - happy ending

Well, after I emailed the nice people at Unity Media to complain about the transit damage to my copy of the M5 special, they have kindly sent me another one and have promised better packaging this time.
That is great customer service, and I look forward to its arrival sometime in the New Year. :M5thumbs:
The new copy arrived today, with the promised extra packaging, and I'm pleased to say it is in perfect condition this time.

Well done Unity Media for doing the right thing and following through with great customer support:applause:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Thanks for the update , BMWCAR are a quality operation and it's great to have a happy ending !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts