BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BMW M5 F10 weights only 40 kg (88 lbs) more than the BMW 550i F10 and 30 kg (66 lbs) LESS than the 550i X-Drive F10.

Dry weight EU that is.

BMW 550i and 550i X-Drive below:

BMW M5 below:

See below for a little nice launch I did on the BMW 550i X-Drive:

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MGMzKTrDlA0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
This is extremely good news! This weight combined with the 502 Tq from 1,500 rpm is going to make the M5 feel more like the 1///M in terms of acceleration. Unfortuntely because the F10 M5 is not an AWD car, it's 0-60 times are not going to approach 4.0 seconds or below.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
An opinion from the BMW M sales manger for the Americas

I've been exchanging emails this morning (regarding the M Power Experience 2011 in Spain in November - http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/189208-test-drive-new-f-10-m5-spain.html) and the Sales Manager for BMW M for the Americas offered this regarding the horsepower and performance of the new F10 M5:

Yes, I know the M brand manager in the US, was a little skeptical as well – until he drove the car on our test track; and until he had Bernd Limmer show him what the car is up to. He thought the car is more than ever a wolf in sheep clothing!

Don’t worry

·
Registered
476 Posts
Official weight of the car?

Is the curb weight number from BMW or are you guessing? Liberal use of Aluminum could cut the weight down significantly....

·
Registered
968 Posts
Ok so it's not so porky, I'm happy :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is the curb weight number from BMW or are you guessing? Liberal use of Aluminum could cut the weight down significantly....
given that the HP and the power to weight ratio are disclosed in the press release, just a little bit of math is all you need to get the weight...no?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Can someone just please post an exact curb weight? I keep hearing 4123lbs or somewhere north of 4400lbs. I've done my own calculations and keep getting around 4122lbs. We need an exact answer.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
given that the HP and the power to weight ratio are disclosed in the press release, just a little bit of math is all you need to get the weight...no?
If the weight of 1945kg unladen EU weight is only 40 kg heavier than the 550i, that would give a US curb weight of 4,465 lbs. If the HP figure of 560 is true, then we have a weight/hp of 4465/560 = 7.97 lb/hp. For the E60 M5 it is 4034/500 = 8.068 lb/hp. That would mean that the F10 and E60 would be basically identical once rolling, and it won't 'wow' anyone. I'll bet the real HP is closer to 600, and that's why the performance should be 'stunning' once people drive it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
BMW M4 F10 weights only 40 kg (88 lbs) more than the BMW 550i F10 and 30 kg (66 lbs) LESS than the 550i X-Drive F10.

Dry weight EU that is.
unsurprising, it's basically the same car with the boost turned up. a few different parts here and there, but nothing that should weigh significantly more.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
unsurprising, it's basically the same car with the boost turned up. a few different parts here and there, but nothing that should weigh significantly more.
Lets' see:

Bigger wheels and tires
DCT
Bigger turbos and intercoolers
The odd spoiler here and there

88 lbs is not too bad, but it's a shame they did not to more to lighten the car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh, I don't think 88 pounds heavier is too bad. I just don't think it's a big accomplishment either. It's around what I'd expect. It seems like I am in the minority, but I am not as worried about weight as a lot of people. I drive my M5 daily, and I like having nav, leather everywhere in the interior, active seats, hud, and other gadgets that are in the car and those all add weight. It's kind of hard to demand more tech and more comfort and significantly less weight without having the price go through the roof. If you want a hardcore, lightweight car to drive on the weekends, you could always buy a GT3.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Me launching the BMW 550i X-Dive :)

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MGMzKTrDlA0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good, it needs to be experienced.

I've been exchanging emails this morning (regarding the M Power Experience 2011 in Spain in November - http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/189208-test-drive-new-f-10-m5-spain.html) and the Sales Manager for BMW M for the Americas offered this regarding the horsepower and performance of the new F10 M5:

Yes, I know the M brand manager in the US, was a little skeptical as well – until he drove the car on our test track; and until he had Bernd Limmer show him what the car is up to. He thought the car is more than ever a wolf in sheep clothing!

Don’t worry

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
True, kerb weight is 1945 kg (Leergewich EU).

If the weight of 1945kg unladen EU weight is only 40 kg heavier than the 550i, that would give a US curb weight of 4,465 lbs. If the HP figure of 560 is true, then we have a weight/hp of 4465/560 = 7.97 lb/hp. For the E60 M5 it is 4034/500 = 8.068 lb/hp. That would mean that the F10 and E60 would be basically identical once rolling, and it won't 'wow' anyone. I'll bet the real HP is closer to 600, and that's why the performance should be 'stunning' once people drive it.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
1945kg = 4288lbs, how is US curb weight defined?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Even Auto Motor Und Sport (they bleed blue and white) called the M5 too heavy. If a german publication calls the best german car too heavy I think we should take notice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts