·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Yikes!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Just_me said:
So future M5 owners, dont forget to check the oil ;)
Isn't the new engine one of the new no-dipstick models? I remember this was discussed at some length many months ago..

If no dipstick.. how can someone check the oil? And even then, checking oil levels won't tell you if the oilpump broke.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
vndkshn said:
Isn't the new engine one of the new no-dipstick models? I remember this was discussed at some length many months ago..

If no dipstick.. how can someone check the oil? And even then, checking oil levels won't tell you if the oilpump broke.
Come on, my smiley was a joke. I dont know how to check it out without no dipstick. I guess modern cars aren't always good kinggf .

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
vndkshn said:

Good grief, with all the technological prowess of this car - sensors, computer power, monitoring systems, why would you need a 'stick' to check the oil level?

If you think about it, pushing a metal strip into a pan to check the oil level is about as primitive as you can get for a monitoring system. I would hope that with all the technology in this car, they can monitor the oil pressure and/or level and let us know when it needs oil.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yaninnya said:
In service functions on i-drive.
Now you are depending on a computer.....

I wonder how accurate, and the level of detail about oil level it shows.

And Just_me.. I understood the joke.. just pointing out the irony of it all.

·
Registered
292 Posts
vndkshn said:
Now you are depending on a computer.....I wonder how accurate, and the level of detail about oil level it shows.
If it will be as it is in E87 it is piece of s#&*. It is sad true.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Teutonaddict said:
270 kph (168 MPH) on 210 kph (130 MPH) winter tyres, with a videocam in one hand.... priceless!!

I got to enjoy that vicariously, without wetting myself or risking orphaning my kids. Thanks for posting!
-Dave
OK, I'm the driver and it was not so bad. I checked the road before for icy spots anfd the temps were so low that there was no danger to tires (tried and tested many times before). And it was 250 kph (it's just that the speedo shows 270).
As for the warning lights somebody else wrote about: there were no warning lights until after the horrible noises from under the hood. After that, there was a genuine light-show.
Engine break in procedures were observed. Car had 2500 km, which means that you can (nad should) run it full thorottle/top speed for shotr periods of time. You should not do that under 2000 km. At least the manual and BMW service tehnicians say so ... ABout oil cehecking: how do you chec oil with a dipstick in a dry-supm system?
I still don't know if they're going to swap engine or fix it ...
An yeah, next week: new 7 sreies and 430 spider :1:

·
Registered
955 Posts
jakaracman said:
OK, I'm the driver and it was not so bad. I checked the road before for icy spots anfd the temps were so low that there was no danger to tires (tried and tested many times before). And it was 250 kph (it's just that the speedo shows 270).
As for the warning lights somebody else wrote about: there were no warning lights until after the horrible noises from under the hood. After that, there was a genuine light-show.
Engine break in procedures were observed. Car had 2500 km, which means that you can (nad should) run it full thorottle/top speed for shotr periods of time. You should not do that under 2000 km. At least the manual and BMW service tehnicians say so ... ABout oil cehecking: how do you chec oil with a dipstick in a dry-supm system?
I still don't know if they're going to swap engine or fix it ...
An yeah, next week: new 7 sreies and 430 spider :1:
M5's S85 engine isn't dry sump. rather, it has special oil pump with indenpendent motors. thus the engine can still recieve ample oil while corner above 1.3G of lateral force.

and there's no dipstick. you check the oil level via iDrive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is not classical dry sump, but the principle is almost same: special pump and specila oil reservoir for extreme corner loads, sump is very shallow for the engine to be mounted as low as possible, sio quantity of oil in it is negligible (and measuring with dipstick can be irrelevant), and so on ...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts