Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Comments from the driver:

"OK, as I promised when I wrote a few words about 911 Cabrio drive, here are some impressions about BMW M5:
All in all it's a great cer, cant say anything else. When you leave the engine in 400 HP mode it's comparable to quite a few supersloons, but when you push the Power button, it's out of this world ... Performance above 200 kph is better than in 911 or Maser coupe. Unfortunately it was wet and cold when I drove it (I hope wether will be better nex week, I'll call you then, komotar), so ESP was cutting in at 200+ kph (I got pretty sideway at that speed once or twice when I turned it off), but the car is extremly controlable & driftable.
It's a pitty that it's limited to 250 kph, speedo was showing 269 to 273 (on HUD), it would easiliy go 300+ ...
2 vids from highway, in one i got to top speed ... 1 vid so you can hear the engine, another one from my mobile accelerating from 40 - 240 kph. The plinking noise is the computer warning thet the tires are limited to 210 kph (winter tires) ... "

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Great vids! :1:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
clee19821013 said:
great, can you write more details, please :blabla:
Well, I'm not the driver. All I know, it's a presscar from Slovenia. And next time this guy will drive Ferrari F430 Spider.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Just_me said:
Comments from the driver:

"...Unfortunately it was wet and cold when I drove it (I hope wether will be better nex week, I'll call you then, komotar), so ESP was cutting in at 200+ kph (I got pretty sideway at that speed once or twice when I turned it off), but the car is extremly controlable & driftable.
It's a pitty that it's limited to 250 kph, speedo was showing 269 to 273 (on HUD), it would easiliy go 300+ ..."
270 kph (168 MPH) on 210 kph (130 MPH) winter tyres, with a videocam in one hand.... priceless!!

I got to enjoy that vicariously, without wetting myself or risking orphaning my kids. Thanks for posting!

Two reactions: (1) the exhaust note is wonderful; this one may not require an aftermarket upgrade, and (2) amazing how quickly the tachometer spins up revs, albeit with the typical lag. The rate of climb is impressive!

-Dave

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ops, The M5 is dead :grrrrr: I hope we don't see the same problems as M3 E46 had.

An intersting update (not for komotar, though): M5 is dead.
This mornin a colleague of mine was driving through the city (like 50 km/h, 1500 rpm) and the car suddenly started producing terrible noises. I cam by 10 mins later (to make a photo with my mobile), and from the sound of it I thing engine internals are gone. I think it will go back to factory fotr engine swap, so no more fun nex week. And it had only 2500 km on the odometer, 14 days old. Man, when BMW screws up, they do it properly. I wonder how much a new engine costs. 10K EUR? 20K EUR?

·
Registered
113 Posts
wow, .... if BMw did it again as with I6 m3 motors that will be sad, but i bet the guy beat the hell out of it, thats why it died on him. :nono: :confused3

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
There were reports early on of cars that just shut themselves down for no reason (most likely computer issues). Of course, these were the early cars used by the mags, but perhaps they haven't fully solved that problem?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I wouldnt like to know how much that engine is to replace...

But yeah i dont think it would have had an easy life, but i would expect it to last longer...

thank you for the videos :cheers:

all the best
adam

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I hope the V10 does better than the S62 V8, especially in its early days, which was plagued with VANOS failures, SES and a voracious appetite for oil. While there were a few blown E46 I6s and the annoying (double) recall, I had more problems with my M5s.

Tom

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
From what i saw in the video.. i think the result was expected becuase the engine is still in break in period.. and the guy who was driving it really hard to the rev limiter all the time..

From what i have been told by a BMW M technician that the engine need at least to break in period for 5000 KM to get the true preformance of that M engine.. thats what i heard also from an AMG technician.. and thats what i do

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just_me said:
Great movies..... M5 is fast.... However, will it ever be as much fun to drive as the old e39 M5. Probably not, it has too much computer interface to be a real drivers car..... I am hoping that getting rid of the silly active steering and ARS will make a difference..... Also, if you own an M5 with 6-speed, you will not like the new one with SMG..... I predict. :typing:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice! The M5 is starting to appeal to me, but the engine going at 2500km? What was the cause for the early M3 failures?

·
Registered
164 Posts
alsahher said:
From what i saw in the video.. i think the result was expected becuase the engine is still in break in period.. and the guy who was driving it really hard to the rev limiter all the time..

From what i have been told by a BMW M technician that the engine need at least to break in period for 5000 KM to get the true preformance of that M engine.. thats what i heard also from an AMG technician.. and thats what i do
There is your answer. I have seen many people who absolutely thrash their cars from the very first tank of petrol. I have never seen one of their engines last to 50000 km. Cars ranging from a Fiat Palio to a Mercedes C32 AMG, all developing horrific engine problems due to early abuse.

Moral of the story? Treat your car with the utmost of respect and care for it as if it was the woman of your dreams. If you have the $ it propably is the woman of your dreams :1:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This is what happend.

The oilpump broke and the car lost all the oil. The engine has some kind of
dry-sup oil system so the engine went dry.
They don't know how much it damaged the engine but it's being examined as we speak.

So future M5 owners, dont forget to check the oil ;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just_me said:
This is what happend.

The oilpump broke and the car lost all the oil. The engine has some kind of
dry-sup oil system so the engine went dry.
They don't know how much it damaged the engine but it's being examined as we speak.

So future M5 owners, dont forget to check the oil ;)
No dipstick........remember?

:7: simmikie

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
So what happened to the oil pressure guage, the oil light, the oil level check, the SES light and all of the alarms that should have gone off under this circumstance?

Tom

1 - 20 of 32 Posts