BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another welcome, this time from Melbourne.
Make yourself familiar with the M5board and get a code reader.
Stealers are notorously expensive, replacement parts are hideous, whole assemblies replaced instead of bit parts and faults fixed by a process of elimination that ends up costing '000's...
My mate with an E60 M5 had a gearbox warning light, stealer replaced clutch $6K no fix, gearbox $20K (offset by BMW Australia) no fix, then ECU module $7K and finally ok. May just have been a sensor all along...
Cheers.
Hi RickRoss
I couldn't agree more with you. One of the small things I had to get fixed was a front wheel bearing. Contacted BMW Sydney and they quoted me $1250 total. $700 was for the bearing. I got
the identical part delivered from the US to my door for $295 (bearing was $175) and installed by
Southside suspension (taren point) for another $150. Total cost $445. How can they justify charging
$700 plus $500 for labour? I guess the answer to that is : because they can!
Cheers:):):)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
2005 E60 Black on black. 70kms now. Was a UK car which I shipped over with me when I saw the prices over here!!!

Some mods on the go...

Regards

Jay

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice!
Hey, has anyone thought of changing an E60 M5 to a manual like the USA version option?
I know the engine is peaky and suits the SMG-II best but the troubles & faults further along the ownership line scare the daylights out of prospective buyers.
Depreciation fantastic, should be some real bargains soon....

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
No not me, clonky old manual NEVER, I love the SMG and its behaved brilliantly, can't fault it! The price of the parts has dropped massively so do a search if it bothers you, the clutch can go like any car. Try getbmwparts.com (AKA Tricher), thats where I get all my parts shipped from, they are briliant to deal with and cheap!!

And if peak is your though of the V10 then slap a SC on it, more on that later ;Op....

Jay

·
Registered
20 Posts
No not me, clonky old manual NEVER, I love the SMG and its behaved brilliantly, can't fault it! The price of the parts has dropped massively so do a search if it bothers you, the clutch can go like any car. Try getbmwparts.com (AKA Tricher), thats where I get all my parts shipped from, they are briliant to deal with and cheap!!

And if peak is your though of the V10 then slap a SC on it, more on that later ;Op....

Jay
When did you ship her over Jay? Was it a hassle and/or expensive exercise?

With the cost of "luxury" cars here compared to O/S, I can't help but wonder why more people don't buy one in the UK, travel around for a year (which I think removes the import restrictions for tax etc), ship it back with them and either have a really cheap supercar or sell it and have a free years holiday.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Ben
My wife's still recovering from the original purchase (it needed a few bits & pieces done straight away) so I may need to take a breather before going down the mods path. I've also got another wallet lightener coming up with a probable CCC replacement. The I-drive screens gone blank and my research points to the CCC which is going to set me back over $3k. Hope I'm wrong but I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks for the tip about foxmans - I can give a wrap to a service guy at brookvale, named alastair from bromspec. When I first got the car he did a service and brake pad for me and was reasonably priced. He also seemed to have a passion for BMW's and has the diagnostic machine that plugs into the car computer. Nice bloke. Unfortunately brooky is a bit of a trek so I'm keen to find something a bit closer to home (maroubra). I'm always a bit reticent to go to the stealers unless I have to but $250 for a minor service seems (unusually) cheap. You're not married to the dealer principal are you :)
Cheers.
Alastair at Bromspec is a knowledgeable man. A lot of Sydney guys would agree with that. Quite a few members on here on the Northern Beaches.

Nothing I know of around Maroubra. I work in Randwick and haven't come across anyone I'd take my cars to just yet. However, it may be worth the trip Alexandria. There's a few shops down there that some friends take their cars to.

My last service was free at Canterbury BMW for my 135i. That included new rear tail lights (all 3), software upgrade and oil change. I guess it's just luck.

·
Registered
431 Posts

With the cost of "luxury" cars here compared to O/S, I can't help but wonder why more people don't buy one in the UK, travel around for a year (which I think removes the import restrictions for tax etc), ship it back with them and either have a really cheap supercar or sell it and have a free years holiday.

One word - SALT...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
One word - SALT...
Depends on the marque, how and when you drive it and how anal you are with washing, cleaning and protecting the underside!

Mine has no fur or corrosion and having seen under cars here in Perth when they have been on the ramps it looks no different to a home grown car. Unless you have had some very doggy repair done modern cars are impurvious!!

Don't forget 80 something percent of Australians live next to the sea and all that salty sea air and abrasive sand, I have never seen so many matt cars in my life until I came here. The sun is far more distructive as well:rolleyes:

Jay

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

I shipped the M5 over last September, as I had owned it for well over the one year min it made it a relatively simple process. They do look very very closely at your passport and want a signed itinery of any travel out side your countries boarders in that year along with road tax and insurrance information plus servicing etc. Its hard to fool them if you think you can buy and gargage the car for a year to get arround it.

There are other methods to import a car but it gets harder and more expensive, I am looking at a 997 GT3RS and working my way through the process, so far I should still see a health saving/profit so its worth while just harder work but theres help out there if your interested:thumbsup:

Jay

·
Registered
431 Posts
Depends on the marque, how and when you drive it and how anal you are with washing, cleaning and protecting the underside!

Mine has no fur or corrosion and having seen under cars here in Perth when they have been on the ramps it looks no different to a home grown car. Unless you have had some very doggy repair done modern cars are impurvious!!

Don't forget 80 something percent of Australians live next to the sea and all that salty sea air and abrasive sand, I have never seen so many matt cars in my life until I came here. The sun is far more distructive as well:rolleyes:

Jay

yep, UV / sun very nasty to paint, trim & upholstery!
just has a couple of the electro-chromatic mirrors go from heat too.
salt more of a problem down the track but when it starts you're knackered.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi all
I'm a newb. Just recently taken ownership of a sapphire black 2006 E60 M5 with 50k km on her. Located in eastern suburbs of Sydney. I'm also keen to hear of any positive experiences with service places around here. Would rather steer clear of the stealers whenever possible.
Cheers
Welcome! Good to hear of another M5 nearby :applause: I love E60s, would love to go for a spin in yours some time!

I'm in Double Bay, but my M5 has been at Panel One Alexandria getting a full respray for about 3 months (to those following it all my parts arrived from the US this week, so I should have it back in 2 weeks!!).

Probably the best Indie I've found is Alastair as he's cheap and does know his stuff. But I also hear good things about BeeEmms at Hornsby (even further away!), who have successfully tackled E39 M5 Vanos replacement which is no mean feat and have good connections with a global independant BMW Repairers network so they can borrow special tools etc from the US if needed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi guys,

I am currently living in the Netherlands but am planning to move back to Sydney in the near future. I just got my residency application approved!

I have a 1999 E39 M5 which is LHD.
I have done some research regarding importing a vehicle into Australia and notice that LHD cars are not allowed.

But I also notice bgom5 has a LHD M3?! There's hope yet!
Surely, there must be a way to bring in a LHD into Oz?

Would be great if anyone here could offer some advice?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Here you go...

Cheers
Jay

Hi guys,

I am currently living in the Netherlands but am planning to move back to Sydney in the near future. I just got my residency application approved!

I have a 1999 E39 M5 which is LHD.
I have done some research regarding importing a vehicle into Australia and notice that LHD cars are not allowed.

But I also notice bgom5 has a LHD M3?! There's hope yet!
Surely, there must be a way to bring in a LHD into Oz?

Would be great if anyone here could offer some advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Holy thread revival, Batman!

I suppose I should officially add myself to the Australian Registry.

Although I think most of the Aussies have already spotted my Intro Thread

Avus Blue 1999 M5, located in Northern NSW - so not really handy to anybody :)

21 - 40 of 163 Posts