BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago Top Gear put an Aston Martin DB9R on their racetrack and beat the record by a comfortable margin. Their goal was to put the times of the roadcars into perspective. Member Ivan suggested they put an M3GTR on the track. Since, as far as I know, the only track both cars have raced on is Spa-Francorchamps (not together but with 1 year interval) here are the lap times they put down in qualifying:
2004 - BMW M3GTR: Official BMW-Schnitzer Team: 2:19.043
2005 - Aston DB9R: 2:15.552.
I guess it would've been hard for the M3GTR to beat the time of the Aston on the Top Gear track.
Note that the pole time this year at Francorchamps is 2:14.845 set by a FIA GT Maserati MC12. The car that in its normal street version set the best time around the Top Gear track.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Bart B said:
A couple of weeks ago Top Gear put an Aston Martin DB9R on their racetrack and beat the record by a comfortable margin. Their goal was to put the times of the roadcars into perspective. Member Ivan suggested they put an M3GTR on the track. Since, as far as I know, the only track both cars have raced on is Spa-Francorchamps (not together but with 1 year interval) here are the lap times they put down in qualifying:
2004 - BMW M3GTR: Official BMW-Schnitzer Team: 2:19.043
2005 - Aston DB9R: 2:15.552.
I guess it would've been hard for the M3GTR to beat the time of the Aston on the Top Gear track.
Note that the pole time this year at Francorchamps is 2:14.845 set by a FIA GT Maserati MC12. The car that in its normal street version set the best time around the Top Gear track.
DB9R it' s a V12 6.0 with 600 hp, the M3 GTR it's a V8 4.0 with 500 hp :3:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gabriel343 said:
DB9R it' s a V12 6.0 with 600 hp, the M3 GTR it's a V8 4.0 with 500 hp :3:
Yes, correct. Powerwise BMW is no competitor for the Aston.
But BMW succeeded in 2005 to win the 24h of the Nurburgring for the second time in a row against very powerfull Porsche's and Vipers shows that they have a very driveable car especially when weather conditions are bad.
Pitty really they don't compete in Francorchamps this year. Conditions are changing a lot with buckets full of rain. With 100hp less but reliability tops with the right strategy they could've made it to victory for the 22nd time in 42 years. They won the WTCC race this weekend at Francorchamps though.
Hope Motorsport is to build a new GT soon. Maybe when the new M3 arrives?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts