BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

West Palm Beach man dies in violent BMW crash in Wellington

WELLINGTON — Investigators say alcohol and speed played a role in the single-car crash that left a 29-year-old man dead, thrown from his car this morning in Wellington.

Daniel Portela of West Palm Beach had left the Player's Club Bar and Restaurant in his BMW M3 series and headed northbound on South Shore Boulevard, according to a Palm Beach County Sheriff's report.

Portela, who was wearing his seat belt, could not "negotiate" a curve and lost control, said Sgt. John Churchill of the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office. The car turned clockwise, made it on to the median and continued sideways until it stuck a tree, which split the car in half, the report stated.

The front half of the car continued to slide on the median until it struck a second tree, which threw Portela from his car, according to the report. That part of the car then caught fire.

Portela died at the scene.

Staff photographer Lannis Waters contributed to this story.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sad. He was a member on M3post

·
Registered
733 Posts
Just look at the car. I see a lot of accidents and BMWs are safe cars, but look at it: it's in two pieces. This image impressed me. It's something to consider at times...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Drinking and Driving....Not A Good Combo

Guys,

Its been a while since I have been on this board as I have sold my M5 and got a new 7 Series. I thought I would share this link with you as I saw this driving home late last night..A real shame..

Drive Careful guys..

West Palm Beach man dies in violent BMW crash in Wellington

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Any driver that chooses to operate a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or any other inhibiting substance is a fool. I do feel for his family though.

If there is any positive to this situation, is that no one else was hurt.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very sad indeed. If it comes down to it, you should always call a taxi to drive you home if you've had too many to drink -- there is no shame in that.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Very sad. It's just amazing to me how steel can be ripped apart like that while the wood on the tree is barely scuffed. He must've been going very fast to split the car like that. Codolences to the family.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trees are among the worst things you can crash into: root firmly established in the ground and the tree cuts thru a car easily :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts