BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Release summer / autumn 2010 according to article in German Auto News and BMW M 25 Year Anniversary of the BMW M5.

I'm not 100% sure how to judge the quotes from the German text but it seems that there might be truth in this.

Auto-News -> 25 Jahre BMW M5: Business Sport – Alle Modelle auf der Nordschleife (Nachricht)

English Google Translation:

A successor will be

The new generation of the BMW 5 Series will be presented in November 2009. The M version is still a bit slow in coming - in the summer or autumn of 2010, it might be ready. Information about new business-understatement-there are hardly any cars. Still, Dr. Kay Segler, head of M GmbH, tells us: "We want to achieve fuel consumption reduction of 20 percent." On the north loop, we then proceed with more in a single piece: an anniversary M5. To questions about the car, we are cultivating silence - but we must go along, Claudia Hürtgen sits at the helm. The Special-M5 ballert off without traction interruption - apparently believes that a new version of the already deployed in the M3 seven-speed dual clutch transmission, now also the torque of an M5 engine. This finding is expressed by us Hürtgen uncommented. The motor rotates up to 9,000 rev / min high and feels after 600 hp. In the next few descendants in 1985 in Amsterdam featured stealth M5 we are already looking forward.

German:

Ein Nachfolger wird kommen

Die neue Generation des BMW 5er wird im November 2009 vorgestellt. Die M-Version lässt noch ein bisschen auf sich warten – im Sommer oder Herbst 2010 könnte es soweit sein. Informationen zum neuen Business-Understatement-Wagen gibt es kaum. Immerhin: Dr. Kay Segler, Chef der M GmbH, sagt uns: „Wir wollen Verbrauchsreduzierungen von 20 Prozent erreichen.“ Auf der Nordschleife fahren wir dann noch in einem Einzelstück mit: einem Jubiläums-M5. Auf Fragen zu dem Wagen ernten wir Schweigen – aber wir dürfen mitfahren, Claudia Hürtgen sitzt am Steuer. Der Sonder-M5 ballert ohne Zugkraft-Unterbrechung los – anscheinend hält eine neue Version des bereits im M3 eingesetzten Siebengang-Doppelkupplungsgetriebes jetzt auch die Drehmomente eines M5-Motors aus. Diese von uns geäußerte Feststellung lässt Hürtgen unkommentiert. Der Motor dreht bis zu 9.000 U/min hoch und fühlt sich nach 600 PS an. Auf den nächsten Nachfahren des 1985 verstohlen in Amsterda

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
if it is at 9,000 rpm rev, it is N/A. I would love a N/A V10 at 650 HP or so. We really need a car that can compete with the ZR1, and for it to be N/A and GT car would be so awesome. The people on this board would keep them sold out for the first year lol

·
Registered
700 Posts
why does bmw keep teasing us with all this mystery and double talk? first they say it could be N/A v10, then maybe turbo v10, possibly KERS, then likely turbo v8 sharing the drivetrain of the x5/6m... and now 9000rpm revving???
don't know about the rest of the board, but it seems like a tumultuous relationship that's on the brink of a divorce but the kids are keeping us together...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would love to see 615-650 hp.

Am I reading this right, they are leaning toward a DCT like in the M3?? I hope not. Wouldn't it be destroyed with that much power? I would much rather see a newer SMG.

I agree the high reving rpms suggest NA, but to get that HP and still increase fuel consumption by 20%, wow. Better fuel and that much horsepower would usually have me thinking turbo, but 9000 rpm says otherwise, right?

I just wish someone would stop teasing and just confirm.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My prediction: TTV8, 600 SAE hp, 8000 rpm redline, 450 lb/ft torque. Lower torque than X5/6 so the DCT can handle it. I could live with that but will miss the V10 for sure.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Can someone who is fluent in both German and English provide a better translation than what's stated above? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I would love to see 615-650 hp.

Am I reading this right, they are leaning toward a DCT like in the M3?? I hope not. Wouldn't it be destroyed with that much power? I would much rather see a newer SMG.

I agree the high reving rpms suggest NA, but to get that HP and still increase fuel consumption by 20%, wow. Better fuel and that much horsepower would usually have me thinking turbo, but 9000 rpm says otherwise, right?

I just wish someone would stop teasing and just confirm.
Cylinder deactivation comes to mind in order to increase fuel economy. With the recent TTs that BMW has released there is no way this engine can rev to 9000rpm and be turbo at the same time. I too would much prefer the kick in the ***** shifts of SMG to a DCT. I hope they keep the SMG, but as long as they put an NA 9000RPM V10 in it, i could care less if it were DCT or SMG.

My prediction: TTV8, 600 SAE hp, 8000 rpm redline, 450 lb/ft torque. Lower torque than X5/6 so the DCT can handle it. I could live with that but will miss the V10 for sure.
According to the article you're wrong, also turbo and high revs don't really go together, you either have one or the other. Look at the X5 M V8TT and the 335 I6 TT both engines make peak power before 6000 rpms.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I agree.

Sounds weird: are they given a testride in a "25 year celebration M5" with DKG and 9000 rpm limiter or do they just throw out made up facts that BMW M testdriver Claudia does not reply to?

Can someone who is fluent in both German and English provide a better translation than what's stated above? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
You can have 9000rpm and turbos specially the variable vain type turbos. To get the fuel econ/efficence they will have to go this route, I don't believe cylinder deactivation would bring the -20% gain in fuel econ.

A twin turbo v10 reving to 9000... way to go! But I'd guess it'll be more than 600bhp!

Jay

P.S the jackets a bit bright and 70's lol!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I've met Claudia. If she says that's what will power the F10 M5 will have, it will have it.

+1 on that Jacket!!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
why does bmw keep teasing us with all this mystery and double talk? first they say it could be N/A v10, then maybe turbo v10, possibly KERS, then likely turbo v8 sharing the drivetrain of the x5/6m... and now 9000rpm revving???
don't know about the rest of the board, but it seems like a tumultuous relationship that's on the brink of a divorce but the kids are keeping us together...
Why would it have KERS? BMW F1 doesnt even use KERS

I was also under the assumption that it would be a twin turbo V8 similar to the X6 //M architecture. Guess not, but also remember its not bmw thats "teasing" us... its speculative BMW fans just guessing at what lies under the hood. If this is official I think its some of the first official, concrete info we have gotten. I would rather have a V8 with 650hp and 9000rpm then a V10 with the same output :haha:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess all is speculative except the November 5-seires launch date and Summer / Autumn BMW M5 launch :dunno:

its speculative BMW fans just guessing at what lies under the hood. If this is official I think its some of the first official, concrete info we have gotten. I would rather have a V8 with 650hp and 9000rpm then a V10 with the same output :haha:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I agree.

Sounds weird: are they given a testride in a "25 year celebration M5" with DKG and 9000 rpm limiter or do they just throw out made up facts that BMW M testdriver Claudia does not reply to?
I will try to translate in my own words:

The new generation of the BMW 5series will be presented within november 2009.
But for the M-version we will have to wait until summer or autumn 2010.
There exists hardly information about the new business-understatement-car.
But: Dr. Kay Segler, chief of M GmbH tells us:
"We want to achieve a 20% decrease of fuel consumption".
(Later) we went with an unique M5 on the Nurbürgring Nordschleife: the anniversary M5.
This car was driven by Claudia Hürtgen.
On asking about this car we did not get any comment - but we where allowed to go with this car.
This special M5 accelerated without interruption in drag - it seems that the new version of the M3 7gear-doubleclutch now comes up with the torque of this new M5.
On debating/asking on this point we did not get an answer from Claudia Hürtgen.
The engine revs up to 9000 rpm and feels as strong as 600 HP.
We look forward to the next generation (M5) which follows the 1985 (E28) backdoor in amsterdam presented M5.

I hope this (not perfect) translation for you makes the information more comprehensible.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Strange. Then this must be some kind of hint of a direction: 9000 rpms, 600+ HP and DCT? Also rough presentation dates presented.

(Later) we went with an unique M5 on the Nurbürgring Nordschleife: the anniversary M5.
On asking about this car we did not get any comment -
but we were allowed to with this car which was driven by Claudia Hürtgen.
This special M5 accelerated without interruption in drag - it seems that the new version of the M3 7gear-doubleclutch now comes up with the torque of this new M5.
On debating/asking on this we did not get an answer from Claudia Hürtgen.
The engine revs up to 9000 rpm and feels as strong as 600 HP.
We look forward to the next generation (M5) which follows the 1985 (E28) backdoor in amsterdam presented M5.

I hope this (not perfect) translation for you makes the information more comprehensible.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Strange. Then this must be some kind of hint of a direction: 9000 rpms, 600+ HP and DCT? Also rough presentation dates presented.
600HP in an M could also mean 650+ considering that it seems like less HP than it actually is...to me that is. 500 HP in a corvette feels a lot different than 500 HP in a M5/6. I think it may be perception. They also didn't mention anything about a lag in power to get to 9000 so maybe that suggests N/A?? Who knows lol. I guess we will all just have to wait one year:haha:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think at the moment we read about 2 different developments:
- the new F10 M5
- and a special anniversary M5 also based on the F10 model

1 - 20 of 81 Posts