BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hoping my fellow board members can give me some advice as to where and how I can bring my mpars back to their original finish....

My m-pars are genuine and are absolutely mint. Zero curb rash and in like new condition....or at least they used to be!

I recently swapped tires off of my mpars to my style 65s at America’s tire. My local store had many positive reviews and I figured a simple tire swap shouldn’t result in my usual paranoia...well my fear of them damaging them was realized when I unwrapped the wheels after the America’s tire shop guys wrapped them in plastic bags, and found them DEEPLY scratched and scuffed. I’m not talking about a few scratches, the damage was plentiful and on the out lip of every wheel.

I kindly asked them to be careful before they began work but the young man working there had trouble dismounting them and clearly didn’t know what he was doing. They needed to be repaired. I spoke with the manager and he happily offered to get them “refinished” at a local rim shop to repair the damage.

I got them back after a week and they are not how they used to look....the outer lip was sanded and polished to the point where the lip of the wheel has no paint and the lips look like they are chrome ....the inner spokes have the original finish
(See photos attached).

I spoke with America’s tire and the rim shop who both feel that the wheels look fantastic and my complaints are unjustified. I think the polished lips are quite nice but I never wanted the wheels to change. I want them back to the “brushed metal” look and not this reflective chrome look.

To bring them back to how they once were, I would have to cover the cost myself obviously and I know this will cost a lot.

Does anybody know what the process is like to refinish them back to the OEM look? What is the color code (I see a lot of variation in finish with stock mpars ) and how much do you think is a realistic cost ? Always don’t know who to trust in my area. I posted some photos off how they used to look

I’m located around Sacramento, CA

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Before:
5C4AA78E-C5BD-4FE7-BF02-E20C02678139.jpeg
DE315898-D210-4890-8A84-78DC9B9D57A6.jpeg

after:
320B2B7F-3A90-46EF-B489-26D182E1298A.jpeg
B2C213BC-B6C8-4B0D-96E5-6956E356E6FB.jpeg

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Hoping my fellow board members can give me some advice as to where and how I can bring my mpars back to their original finish....

My m-pars are genuine and are absolutely mint. Zero curb rash and in like new condition....or at least they used to be!

I recently swapped tires off of my mpars to my style 65s at America’s tire. My local store had many positive reviews and I figured a simple tire swap shouldn’t result in my usual paranoia...well my fear of them damaging them was realized when I unwrapped the wheels after the America’s tire shop guys wrapped them in plastic bags, and found them DEEPLY scratched and scuffed. I’m not talking about a few scratches, the damage was plentiful and on the out lip of every wheel.

I kindly asked them to be careful before they began work but the young man working there had trouble dismounting them and clearly didn’t know what he was doing. They needed to be repaired. I spoke with the manager and he happily offered to get them “refinished” at a local rim shop to repair the damage.

I got them back after a week and they are not how they used to look....the outer lip was sanded and polished to the point where the lip of the wheel has no paint and the lips look like they are chrome ....the inner spokes have the original finish
(See photos attached).

I spoke with America’s tire and the rim shop who both feel that the wheels look fantastic and my complaints are unjustified. I think the polished lips are quite nice but I never wanted the wheels to change. I want them back to the “brushed metal” look and not this reflective chrome look.

To bring them back to how they once were, I would have to cover the cost myself obviously and I know this will cost a lot.

Does anybody know what the process is like to refinish them back to the OEM look? What is the color code (I see a lot of variation in finish with stock mpars ) and how much do you think is a realistic cost ? Always don’t know who to trust in my area. I posted some photos off how they used to look

There probably is a wheel refinishing company near you that has a good reputation that can do it. If not and you don't mind shipping the wheels, this shop in NC has the best reputation on M5Board, at least for the Shadow Chrome finish on the OE style 65 wheels. I'm not sure about cost; if the front of the wheel just needs paining, maybe $150 per wheel?

GL

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issue. I agree what was done to the wheels is pretty bad and looks nothing like it should.

If you cannot find a local place to handle the job, Prince in NC and RimPro in MA are reputable shops. RimPro handled my OE style 65 wheels. It wasn't exactly like the OEM finish, but it was a good job overall. Colors were consistent, all the repairs we done correctly, and the wheel surfaces were smooth. Perhaps Prince would have been closer to OEM.

Since the Parallels do not have a Shadow Chrome finish, each wheel should be well under $250. I would expect something closer to the $150 that KevinM quoted.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I can maybe chime in on this. Prince is a hellofagood shop, but no need to ship out Mpars since we aren't dealing with color shade sensitive items here.

OP: What likely happened or at least from what I can tell by the pics, the shop took your wheels and sanded down the lips to be even and then mag polished them. Whether they were clearcoated is anyone guess...probono or low end, maybe not? Mag aluminum polish looks great when applied but no clear + our dusty pads... not fun.

Mpars being forged are 2 step prepped when being refinished. Stripped, sanded, painted, and then most importantly are diamond cut for that machined finish, and finally clear coated.

The original clear is somewhat of a special recipe form the supplier (I forget who it was, I could swear I was on their site 2 weeks ago). It's not easy to replicate, so you can easily tell when 1 wheel was refinished.

The usual result is something shinier than OEM.
The key to a good refinish is a well reputable shop that can do unique stuff. Mpars are ever so slightly curved and from what I was told they use (Refer out rather) to a refinisher that uses laser guided trickery to guide the lathe. Only caution is you can only redo Mpars so many times before the spokes begin to look awkward.

Old finish, albeit re cleared lips 8 years ago

Immediately after fully refurb.

Here is what mine look now (3 years post refurb)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I got them back after a week and they are not how they used to look....the outer lip was sanded and polished to the point where the lip of the wheel has no paint and the lips look like they are chrome ....the inner spikes have the original finish
(See photos attached).

Before:
View attachment 932072 View attachment 932073
after:
View attachment 932071 View attachment 932070
I can maybe chime in on this. Prince is a hellofagood shop, but no need to ship out Mpars since we aren't dealing with color shade sensitive items here.

OP: What likely happened or at least from what I can tell by the pics, the shop took your wheels and sanded down the lips to be even and then mag polished them. Whether they were clearcoated is anyone guess...probono or low end, maybe not? Mag aluminum polish looks great when applied but no clear + our dusty pads... not fun.

Mpars being forged are 2 step prepped when being refinished. Stripped, sanded, painted, and then most importantly are diamond cut for that machined finish, and finally clear coated.

The original clear is somewhat of a special recipe form the supplier (I forget who it was, I could swear I was on their site 2 weeks ago). It's not easy to replicate, so you can easily tell when 1 wheel was refinished.

The key to a good refinish is a well reputable shop that can do unique stuff. Mpars are ever so slightly curved and from what I was told they use (Refer out rather) to a refinisher that uses laser guided trickery to guide the lathe. Only caution is you can only redo Mpars so many times before the spokes begin to look awkward.

View attachment 932085

View attachment 932086
View attachment 932087

View attachment 932084

View attachment 932085

View attachment 932086
View attachment 932087

View attachment 932084
Thanks for all the information and the photos. I appreciate you explaining the process. Your wheels look perfect!

Where did you get them refinished and for how much? Maybe I will use the same shop...

In response to what you said about my wheels being clear coated....I asked and they are not....which I assume means they are bare metal with polish on them which will eventually wear off and the bare metal will oxidize and maybe stain when mineralized water hits them and dries. I am especially pissed off because I ceramic coated the wheels recently too! Now I have pay hundreds to bring them back to where they were and I shouldn't have to but hey, you win some, you lose some.

I have been having a lot of issues with shops in the Sacramento area. Every repair, maintenance or just aesthetic change I make with the car, results in a less than perfect job.

Your input is appreciated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I used Jason's Wheel Repair in SoCal ( 5201 G St, Chino, CA 91710 ). Kickin job, but being in the bay you should have equal/better options at least for wheels.

I think I paid around what was quoted above. $125-150 per wheel, just a refinish, no bend repair or massive curbing. Mounting/Balancing is usually extra but I timed it with getting new tires anyway :)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I would just simply have the tire shop pay for a set of new wheels, and have them keep the chrome-lipped ones that they like so much.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hi,

Some more information for you coming up!

The OEM M Parallel/Style 37s are indeed a forged aluminium wheel which means a high quality alloy/material and when polished, comes up looking fantastic! The wheel shop that did the polishing went this route as it's the 'quickes/cheapest/easiest' way for them to have resolved the damaged lips issue they were presented with from the Tyre place. Moving on,

The original finish as described above is a painted 'face' and machined/diamond cut lip and then all lacquered over, which is how a lot of OEM and aftermarket wheels are done. Over a period of time, the lacquer will get small stone chips and eventually, will get pierced which then lets in moisture. It's then you get the spidery/milky effect and as it gets worse, it'll lead to the lacquer splitting and then flaking off. The machining/diamond cut process removes a small amount of material depth of the wheel metal which is then re-lacquered again as part of the refinishing process. If the centres are damaged, they're blasted back to bare metal and then either paint or powder coated. The issue is, that in due course, the lacquer will get stone chipped and eventually get pierced and it'll deteriorate again. You can only machine/diamond cut a wheel perhaps 2 or a max of 3 times before it's deemed too much material has been removed and the structural strength of the wheel is compromised.

Now you mention you live in Sacramento and it's 'relatively' dry and warm there throughout the year ! so, the 'time' between the lacquer failing for you has a higher chance of being longer than say for myself, over here in damp and wet London UK! other factors of course will be how much the car is driven and where etc before the milky'spidery tell tale deterioration happens.

If you now machine/diamond cut your wheels, then 'sooner or later' you'll get the above and you'll be back in this same scenario of having to spend for a refinish again which might be the last time you can do it on these wheels due to too much material being removed. So, you have some choices

1. Sell these wheels as they are now - There's plenty of enthusiasts who want polished lip OEM Style 37/M Parallels and I'd have thought they'd sell relatively quickly for you. You can then purchase another OEM set that haven't ever been refinished and that are still in excellent shape/condition.

2. Do a first refinishing using machine/diamond cut on these wheels and put back to OEM finish, knowing that 'sooner or later' you'll get the deterioration happen again and can do another 're-cut' for the last time and know that 'sooner or later' you'll be back in the same situation again.

3. Keep these wheels as they are and know you'll not be in the same situation for the lips ever and it'll only be the centres you might have to refinish by blasting back and re painting/powder coating which doesn't remove any of the wheels material either.

I've had plenty of high quality aftermarket wheels on my car, and ones I've purchased and then sold on later and most have had the same 'deep lip' design. The wheels I usually have are more rare and sought after as well. I once went with the diamond cut but no lacquer option on a set of my Hartge Classic 19 inch wheels and they came out looking awesome! see below;

The centres were painted and as you can see, they came back to me looking awesome! I had my tyres mounted up and installed onto my car quite quickly !

Fast forward 4 weeks later and going over a pothole and bump running across the width of a very familiar road, I got home 5 mins later and was horrified.... here's how they ended up!

Thankfully, the damage didn't allow the tyres to deflate, but each wheel was bent and the worst was the split metal of the lip on one. The place that refinished them took off too much material and reduced their strength considerably. So a ruined set of wheels is how I ended up, luckily, I have maybe 8+ sets of wheels in my collection so a quick swapover was all I needed to get back on the road! ;

So, it's polished lips each time for me, I don't want to run the risk of diamond cut/machined again !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

Some more information for you coming up!

The OEM M Parallel/Style 37s are indeed a forged aluminium wheel which means a high quality alloy/material and when polished, comes up looking fantastic! The wheel shop that did the polishing went this route as it's the 'quickes/cheapest/easiest' way for them to have resolved the damaged lips issue they were presented with from the Tyre place. Moving on,

The original finish as described above is a painted 'face' and machined/diamond cut lip and then all lacquered over, which is how a lot of OEM and aftermarket wheels are done. Over a period of time, the lacquer will get small stone chips and eventually, will get pierced which then lets in moisture. It's then you get the spidery/milky effect and as it gets worse, it'll lead to the lacquer splitting and then flaking off. The machining/diamond cut process removes a small amount of material depth of the wheel metal which is then re-lacquered again as part of the refinishing process. If the centres are damaged, they're blasted back to bare metal and then either paint or powder coated. The issue is, that in due course, the lacquer will get stone chipped and eventually get pierced and it'll deteriorate again. You can only machine/diamond cut a wheel perhaps 2 or a max of 3 times before it's deemed too much material has been removed and the structural strength of the wheel is compromised.

Now you mention you live in Sacramento and it's 'relatively' dry and warm there throughout the year ! so, the 'time' between the lacquer failing for you has a higher chance of being longer than say for myself, over here in damp and wet London UK! other factors of course will be how much the car is driven and where etc before the milky'spidery tell tale deterioration happens.

If you now machine/diamond cut your wheels, then 'sooner or later' you'll get the above and you'll be back in this same scenario of having to spend for a refinish again which might be the last time you can do it on these wheels due to too much material being removed. So, you have some choices

1. Sell these wheels as they are now - There's plenty of enthusiasts who want polished lip OEM Style 37/M Parallels and I'd have thought they'd sell relatively quickly for you. You can then purchase another OEM set that haven't ever been refinished and that are still in excellent shape/condition.

2. Do a first refinishing using machine/diamond cut on these wheels and put back to OEM finish, knowing that 'sooner or later' you'll get the deterioration happen again and can do another 're-cut' for the last time and know that 'sooner or later' you'll be back in the same situation again.

3. Keep these wheels as they are and know you'll not be in the same situation for the lips ever and it'll only be the centres you might have to refinish by blasting back and re painting/powder coating which doesn't remove any of the wheels material either.

I've had plenty of high quality aftermarket wheels on my car, and ones I've purchased and then sold on later and most have had the same 'deep lip' design. The wheels I usually have are more rare and sought after as well. I once went with the diamond cut but no lacquer option on a set of my Hartge Classic 19 inch wheels and they came out looking awesome! see below;

The centres were painted and as you can see, they came back to me looking awesome! I had my tyres mounted up and installed onto my car quite quickly !

Fast forward 4 weeks later and going over a pothole and bump running across the width of a very familiar road, I got home 5 mins later and was horrified.... here's how they ended up!

Thankfully, the damage didn't allow the tyres to deflate, but each wheel was bent and the worst was the split metal of the lip on one. The place that refinished them took off too much material and reduced their strength considerably. So a ruined set of wheels is how I ended up, luckily, I have maybe 8+ sets of wheels in my collection so a quick swapover was all I needed to get back on the road! ;

So, it's polished lips each time for me, I don't want to run the risk of diamond cut/machined again !

Cheers, Dennis!
Wow Dennis. Thank you so much for the comprehensive and extremely informative write up! I appreciate you taking the time to share the process and your experience! And all the way from the UK!

I like the options you thought up. I've been in California for several years now and yes, the weather is ideal for keeping a car in fantastic condition! I considered selling the m-parallels but my original plan was to keep these wheels for my next BMW which will be the 1976-1989 BMW e24 6-series. I've always loved the e39 and will keep mine for as long as possible. Adding an e24 would be a dream as it is my second favourite BMW. Selling them will be easy but I run the risk of never being able to get my hands on them again. I suspect they will be discontinued sooner than later and it will be a difficult hunt for a set of genuine wheels ....which I will likely have to pay even more for. I do not want to get them machined and risk their structural integrity, your post definitely convinced me to not pursue that option! Although the wheels may be fine after one refinish, I wouldn't want them any different than how they came from the factory. They lasted almost 17 years in perfect condition, it would be a shame to have them get bent up or broken such as yours (great photos by the way!).

I guess I will contemplate how bad I really want to keep them. I would likely sell them for almost as much as a new pair given their like new condition and the excellent job the shop did in polishing them. Although I do not prefer the polished lip, the shop did a good job and I might just get used to them....

Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Wow Dennis. Thank you so much for the comprehensive and extremely informative write up! I appreciate you taking the time to share the process and your experience! And all the way from the UK!

I like the options you thought up. I've been in California for several years now and yes, the weather is ideal for keeping a car in fantastic condition! I considered selling the m-parallels but my original plan was to keep these wheels for my next BMW which will be the 1976-1989 BMW e24 6-series. I've always loved the e39 and will keep mine for as long as possible. Adding an e24 would be a dream as it is my second favourite BMW. Selling them will be easy but I run the risk of never being able to get my hands on them again. I suspect they will be discontinued sooner than later and it will be a difficult hunt for a set of genuine wheels ....which I will likely have to pay even more for. I do not want to get them machined and risk their structural integrity, your post definitely convinced me to not pursue that option! Although the wheels may be fine after one refinish, I wouldn't want them any different than how they came from the factory. They lasted almost 17 years in perfect condition, it would be a shame to have them get bent up or broken such as yours (great photos by the way!).

I guess I will contemplate how bad I really want to keep them. I would likely sell them for almost as much as a new pair given their like new condition and the excellent job the shop did in polishing them. Although I do not prefer the polished lip, the shop did a good job and I might just get used to them....

Thanks again for the input!

M Pars are still available new from BMW. I think you'll have no problem picking up another set:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts