BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a few key points:

(1) Many potential owners have commented on how good the new M5 would look in Black - it hides the quirky lines and brings out the 'Beast' factor

(2) The M5 needs to stand out from the rest of the E60 family, so regular E60 Sapphire Black just won't do

(3) The most popular E39 M5 colour by far was Carbonblack

(4) BMW will only offer Carbonblack on the E60 M5 as an Individual Colour, at a premium of over 3000 Euros! It is not on the standard colour palette for the vehicle.

Now the clincher.... official BMW Info for 2005:

"Customers ordering the recently announced 5 Series Sport models can now specify their car in Carbon Black, previously only available from BMW’s Individual palette. Inside, Flashlight cloth / leather is offered on Sport models while optional high-gloss Light Poplar wood and Brushed Aluminium trims further increase the quality feel of the interior."

SO A 530d SPORT IS AVAILABLE IN CARBONBLACK AT NO COST BUT NOT THE M5

grrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
There are a lot of Carbon Black E60 535d cars around at dealers and I must admit if it was available on the M5 I would get it. As you say it does help to hide some of the quirky lines of the E60. Seems that BMW are keeping up their record of providing a pretty miserable selection of colours for their M Cars!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
This also demonstrates that there's nothing inherently special about Individual colours. One day they're Individual, the next day they're not!

Best regards,

·
Registered
517 Posts
Logic?

What is the logic behind this idea? An extra 3000 Euros for Carbon Black? Are they trying to keep the number of Carbon Black cars low? Trying to make them more rare and exclusive? Or is it actually an expensive color to mix? What gives?

I would have certainly gotten another CB car if it had been offered, but when I chose my colors they didn't even mention it, so I got Silver.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
First a few key points:

(1) Many potential owners have commented on how good the new M5 would look in Black - it hides the quirky lines and brings out the 'Beast' factor

(2) The M5 needs to stand out from the rest of the E60 family, so regular E60 Sapphire Black just won't do

(3) The most popular E39 M5 colour by far was Carbonblack

(4) BMW will only offer Carbonblack on the E60 M5 as an Individual Colour, at a premium of over 3000 Euros! It is not on the standard colour palette for the vehicle.

Now the clincher.... official BMW Info for 2005:

"Customers ordering the recently announced 5 Series Sport models can now specify their car in Carbon Black, previously only available from BMW’s Individual palette. Inside, Flashlight cloth / leather is offered on Sport models while optional high-gloss Light Poplar wood and Brushed Aluminium trims further increase the quality feel of the interior."

SO A 530d SPORT IS AVAILABLE IN CARBONBLACK AT NO COST BUT NOT THE M5

grrrrrrr
How about Diamond Schwarz ?

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
This makes no sense. So my guess is someone has a darn good reason or someone is out of their minds. I'm sorry Ashok. I do think though that CB doesn't really suit the E60 that much- Id prefer to see it in more of a cosmos black, black sapphire or jet black. (All impossible to keep clean- but boy do they look good when clean)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mike0804 said:
Logic?

What is the logic behind this idea? An extra 3000 Euros for Carbon Black? Are they trying to keep the number of Carbon Black cars low? Trying to make them more rare and exclusive? Or is it actually an expensive color to mix? What gives?

I would have certainly gotten another CB car if it had been offered, but when I chose my colors they didn't even mention it, so I got Silver.
Doesn't seem that would be accomplished by offering it for free on a lesser priced vehicle. I find this especially vexing as I am going to order CB with Amarone Merino Leather w/Amarone Walnut trim. Looks as though I must bite the bullet on time and money to get what I want, when I really shouldn't have to!?!

:confused2 simmikie

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like BMW is being run by the accountants who know that M5 buyers are less price sensitive, therefore they're going to milk us for all they can grrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You should be more concerned with the interior colors available... after all, you'll spend more time inside your car looking at how to pass the car in front of you, than outside looking at paint shades.

...Unless you are nuts like us, and take more pictures of your car than of your children/pets.

:byebye:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Isn't Saphirre Black the same ?

Because in France, the M5 will be available in Saphirre Black in standard, no need to go Individual...

·
Registered
40 Posts
that really makes no sense. I love the E39 in Carbon Black, and Id bet that the new M5 would look even better in a sharp black suit. BMW is sure making some strange choices lately...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Could someone please explain the difference between Carbon Black and Jet and Sapphire Black? I have a Jet black car, and I'm familiar with the metallic Sapphire Black. How does Carbon Black differ from these?? (I want the blackest M5 I can get.)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Jet black is just black. Black sapphire is metallic black- compared to jet black it looks a little grey- but by itself it looks black. Carbon black is metallic black with ~25% mid night blue mixed in. In direct light it looks like a metallic navy color. It takes on other looks depending on the light hitting it- sometimes it even looks a little purple. In lower light situations it looks more and more black. It's a very cool color.

·
Registered
283 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Jet black is just black. Black sapphire is metallic black- compared to jet black it looks a little grey- but by itself it looks black. Carbon black is metallic black with ~25% mid night blue mixed in. In direct light it looks like a metallic navy color. It takes on other looks depending on the light hitting it- sometimes it even looks a little purple. In lower light situations it looks more and more black. It's a very cool color.
ME is spot on. It ranges from deep blue to jet black to purple (under overcast/ fluorescent type lighting). And it's metallic so it's got the expensive look.

My M5 is CB and I love it. It's sinister and aggressive, suiting the M perfectly. Darth frickin' Vader.

I like to change my colours around a bit, so my next M5 won't be CB. Sepang Bronze looks awesome, as does the blue.

·
Registered
714 Posts
one of the thing that is also ironic is that BMW Individual is about PERSONALISATION.

CB is a very nice color, and a very popular color. A lot of people wants this nice color. It is not so "individual" about a color that is popular or you see on quite a few on the same car.

If BMW or BMW Individual are spraying a few of these CB M5's, it really shouldnt cost them much more money than another color.

If they have to get out of their way in their assembly line and spray you an Imola Rot or something, then it should really cost you that 3000 Euro or extra.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My first M5 was in carbon black while my E36 M3 was cosmos black (a frosty metallic black). I liked the cosms better though i could keep neither of them clean enough to look good all of the time. I ultimately went to titanium silver with the next M5 and metallic gray (forgot the name) for my E46 M3. The last two do well with occasional washing. Everything shows on carbon black.

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts