BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help as I just bought the BMW ipod kit and it did not come with installation instructions. I just spent about an hour looking through the forums and could not find what I was looking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the installation guide? I would also appreciate the usual haters not to chime in unless they can provide help.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
that looks like it goes in the trunk in place of your cd changer.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured where it goes but just trying to hunt down some sort of installation instructions as there are lots of connections.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Does that even work on the E39? I don't recall ever hearing of it installed in an E39 (but perhaps it is something new?). It reminds me of the kit installed on my E46.:dunno:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got it from a friend who had a 2002 e39 that never put it in as he totaled the car right before he was to put it in. Are you thinking this is not made for the car? I really can't find much info on this at all.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Other BMW models utilize this also, iPod Interface as they call it. A few members have used this on their cars successfully. From my research, it depends on which radio and CD changer units you have. Let me see if I can dig up some of my old files. That's what I can remember, as it did not work on my car, and I have a 2001.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
M55555,
I would be forever grateful to you if you can find something on this. I really surprised that I can't find any documentation on the net for it?

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I still don't think it is compatible with the E39 M5. I've never seen one installed in an E39. E46 definitely, I have one.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
This specific interface is something I have not seen before. If you look on Apple's web site they have generic information.

The part number does not show up in a basic Google search or on RealOEM, I believe this is because it is an accessory.

Most accessories have instructions that are provided by the BMW dealership parts department. The parts department has a computer database with some specific name/acronym. It is called BMW Parts Aftersales Assistance Portal (ASAP). This is dues to BMW being a "global" supplier and they do not include instructions with most of their accessories. The dealership parts department needs to print off the instructions in the appropriate language for the country/area the accessory is being sold in.

That being said, if the previous poster is correct that he has seen it work in an E46, then it should work fine in a later version E39 with MarkIV NAV, which I believe you have. There may be different cables for the E46 vs the E39, however, the E46 with MarkIV NAV and the E39 with MarkIV NAV have a lot in common.

The basic question is where is this iPod adapter supposed to be located? I believe in the dash near the glovebox? The long cable is probably meant to be run from the trunk when the CD changer is plugged in? The iPod adapter probably hooks to the Aux potion of the NAV unit and/or has some other cable connections to me connected.

I have both an 2006 E46, without NAV and a 2003 M5 with MarkIV NAV and I have added factor Sirius to both cars. I also have a Dice unit in the E46, which I plan on moving to the E39. The Siruis units both connect the same way, however, there is one version with NAV and one version without NAV, so I have 2 different modules due to the NAV issue, but otherwise if both cars had NAV, they would use the same Sirius box, this is where these platforms are very similar.

I did not read over all the MadRussian info, however, I believe he hacked it a bit due to the vintage/head unit his car had. I do not believe you need to do this.

This is really pretty easy, contact a dealer parts department, possibly Tischer via e-mail, and ask them if they can provide install instructions for the part number of the iPod device you have from the ASAP system. I have had them PDF and email them to me before.

Additionally the NAV unit comes out of the E39 with 4 screws and I know what the back of the unit looks like. 2 connectors for the MarkIV NAV unit and the 3 terminal AUX connector.

If you can figure out what to connect to the MARKIV NAV unit, then, you can just stretch the cable to the trunk for the other connection or vs. versa.

It is too late for me to look at your cables again and check out the interface in my trunk, BUT, you many not have the correct cables to interface to the car?? You need to figure out what the interface was originally purchase for and/or check with a dealership Parts Department to see if you have the correct cables.

FWIW, for about $40, you can purchase a nice AUX cable with a mounting plate that you can easily connect to your NAV unit to connect an iPod or other device via 1/8" stereo headphone jack. No you cannot control the iPod or other MP3 player or phone from the steering wheel or the radio interface, not it will not charge your iPod, MP3 player or phone, but you can play music via the cars audio system. This take about 10 minutes to connect if you do not install the small mounting plate. If you are handy with electronics you can make your own for about $4 in parts.

Now the only caveat with the iPod adapter is if you have DSP in the E39 and your CD changer uses an optical interface to your DSP amp. You will need a different interface adapter. I believe most of the later E39's do not use the optical interface, or at least my car does not use it.

Hope this info is helpful. I really do not think it is as difficult as you think it is, you just need to know if you have the correct cables and where to interface them.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Your wires are confusing me a bit.

The CD changers/Sirius radios have 2 connectors. A 3 terminal connector, usually female that had +12 Volts, Ground and I-bus. A 6 terminal connector, usually female that receives the analog Left & Right channel from the device. Usually the 6 terminal connector is not fully populated from what I have seen.

There is a similar 3 terminal connector on the back of newer radios that supports Aux input. They support a common audio ground, Left and Right channel audio. The cable that connects to the radio Aux port has a resistor and capacitor network to indicate to the radio that a Aux cable is connected. This 3 terminal connector looks very much like the CD/Sirius 3 terminal power/I-bus wire, however, I believe the connector may be shaped a bit differently?

The long cable in your picture appears that it may be a female style connector? If it is, not sure where it would connect in either a E39 or E46? The OEM Sirius boxes have daisy chain ports so an additional audio source can be connected, however, I believe this connector on the Sirius box is a "male" connector?

Most audio adapters need to connect to power/I-bus and supply audio out to the head unit in the car somehow.

Without having the cables in my hand it is a bit hard to tell exactly what you have. Again, the iPod interface is more "generic" it is the interface cabling that makes for the proper vehicle interface. Usually these cables can be purchased separately if needed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts