BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up the cradle this morning, BMW part number 84-10-9-182-792 costing £59.99 in UK money which was the same price I paid for the Nokia 6230i snap-in I previously bought. Installation is...well I wouldn't even call it installation, press down on the snap-in eject button, the old Nokia 6230i cradle pops out, snap-in the the new one...I'd say 10 seconds at most!

NOTE - it seems all UK spec cars have the snap in holder (eject box) as standard, those in the USA may have a money tray here instead, in which case you need to buy two other parts to replace the money tray and other users have reported a 30 min installation time for those, see this thread, but the extra parts needed are 84 21 6 946 075 [snap in adapter / Eject box] and 51 16 7 060 175 [Eject box frame]

First impressions are good, feels heavy, solid and robust, the pop up spring mechanism when you eject also feels sturdy yet smooth. You position the lower edge of the phone in the adapter and then press on the top edge of the screen to lower the phone down until it locks in place. There is a small plastic lip that then pops out to lock the top of the phone down. To remove the iPhone simply press the eject button and the top lip slides back and the phone lifts up at an angle for easy access. At first I had to press several times and with some force to get the eject mechanism to work but it's much easier now once it's been used a couple of times and things have "freed up".

The snap-in charges the phone and connects it to the external antenna of the car. I've NEVER noticed any signal difference on any of the phones I've ever owned with BMW/Nokia car kits using external aerials but this is more likely due to strong signal everywhere I go. There aren't any areas I can think of where i'd normally have little to no reception to test if there is any gain using the external antenna.

NOTE - the snap-in does nothing other than listed above [charge and aerial], it does NOT offer a hard-wired connection to the iDrive, the connection between phone and iDrive has been and always will be bluetooth. Several people have also wandered if this would allow you to access the iPod features on the iPhone through the stereo but it DOESNT.

I've taken far too many photos of the adapter, I've selected a few of the better ones to add to this post but to see ALL the phone click here or click on any of the photos below:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
that looks sexy.... thanks!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Beautifully explained!
I wish everyone posted threads like this.
Lokks great scoopz, I will get on to my dealer.
Thanks again!!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do they have a cradle for the blackberry curve?
Not to sure, you can see a list of all compatible phones including some blackberry's here:
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bluetooth/0,,___,00.html?siteID=1312#tabletop
but this list is never up to date, in fact I'm surprised they've put the Apple iPhone on there already, but notice they've stated there is no snap-in adapter for the iPhone when there clearly is now one available.

Best bet is to ask your dealer, they should have the list of newest snap in adapters.

hbpetrides said:
Beautifully explained!
I wish everyone posted threads like this.
Lokks great scoopz, I will get on to my dealer.
Thanks again!!!
Thank you and your welcome.
For some reason I don't like posting detailed informative posts unless they're accompanied by lots of photos (and let's be honest, we all like posts with photos :))

UPDATE - having forgotten to charge my iPhone last night I decided to give it a charge on the way in using the cradle, wasn't until I sat at my desk I realised I'd left the phone in the car ouichI wander how many times I'll do that until I get into the routine of getting it out the cradle. That's the only problem I can foresee with having the phone hidden from view, but at least when i do forget the prying eyes of the theives won't be able to spot it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Thanks a lot Scoopz for the info:cheers:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Thanks a lot Scoopz for the info:cheers:
+1. Thanks scoopz for another informative post. Looks interesting, but for $300+ (US '06's need all 3 parts) for just an ariel/phone charger, probably not worth it for me. Esp since lately I don't seem to keep phones for more than a few months. Out of curiosity though, anyone know what is required as far as installation if you need all 3 parts?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does the iPhone connnect to the external antenna through the physical connector or by induction?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Scoopz---that was an excellent post---THANKS!

·
Registered
268 Posts
that looks sexy.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Anyone figured out how to remove the rotating frame that the cradle fits into? I'd prefer the extra console space for storage.

My S.A. swears there is no way to remove, I'd prefer not using a hacksaw.

Thanks.

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
WARNING:
Don't rush out and buy an iPhone cradle just yet, and if you have don't use it, it damages the iPhone:grrrrr:!

It seems the little lip of plastic that holds the top edge in place seriously scratches the chrome bezel on the top edge. I've only been using mine for a few days and I am not a happy chappy! BMW parts were closed by the time I got there today but I'll be having words with them on Monday.

I'm trying to get a decent photo of the scratches to demonstrate this and will post asap.

Photo below is the best I could take to show scratches, if you want to download the full size (2MB) image click the thumbnail at the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd imagine that putting something like the little cloth you get for cleaning spectacles over the top edge whilst seating the iPhone would prevent the scratches - as an interim fix?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts