BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you (myself included) who were considering option 944, the bad news is that it will not be available on the M5. This option is only available on the non-M E60 when fitted with Comfort Seats as shown here:

It will not be available on the 5 series Touring either.

The good news is that there are plenty of aftermarket systems out there which offer better value for money.

Any suggestions? I like the Alpine screens and cordless headphones.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point Jerry - an IR remote control should do the trick.

B

·
0 Posts
You could purchase the BMW Individual DVD system seatbacks and take them to a custom audio installer to make any necessary modifications and add in the aftermarket components. This will give you the OEM look.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point Daniel but the OEM screen surrounds are very bulky. I'd much rather save space and money and get headrest screens fitted like this:

I wonder if Harmon Kardon do an in-car a/v system as this could hook up nicely with the Logic-7?!

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Daniel has a great point and also, you could always get a custom shop to put in a good display right into the headrests and still use the BMW kit- Im sure the software is already there.

Has anyone tried those active seats? Im not so sure I want a seat moving around like that!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We digress but the "Active Seats" Gustav is referring to is simply the active backrest adjustment (option code 488) which is a feature of the M Multifunction seats.

These are not the same as the Active Seats which I currently have in my E39 - these proper Active Seats move your buttocks whereas Lordosen seats
(code 488 as described above) only adjust the lumbar supports.

Neither Active Seats nor DVD system are available on the E60 M5 as they both require the Comfort Seats which are not an option for the M5 :sad3:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I dont think so- the M5 has seats that have air bladders in the side bolsters- as you corner harder- the side bolsters inflate more/less. MB has similar tech. I've never tried it, but it seems a little too strange to me.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I think we will get the active side bolsters, i saw them working in a video and they look really cool, i hope they are more than just a gimmick though

Ashok i would do for alpine too, they are very good and have a strong range of products imho

all the best
adam

·
Registered
816 Posts
For me, it seems a little out of character to have two additional screens at the back in the M5, a bit too much. The car's interior is not a large saloon like the 7 series to house all that stuff. But I can imagine it's a good way to shut the kids up for those who use it for that reason!

·
Registered
73 Posts
My friend has 2x7inch screens in his Range Rover and everyone who has been in the back watching movies (Inc his kids) have all been travel sick...... Even seasoned "road trippers"

IMHO i wouldn't have them in my car - Don't really like the smell of Puke.....:p

Simon

·
Registered
265 Posts
Active seats

MEnthusiast said:
I dont think so- the M5 has seats that have air bladders in the side bolsters- as you corner harder- the side bolsters inflate more/less. MB has similar tech. I've never tried it, but it seems a little too strange to me.
Can only speak for the MB system, it actually works quite well, believe it or not.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I think video suits the M5 just fine. My opinion is if you want top be a purist, then SMG is no good and the rear seats and trunk are unnecessary weight. Btw- No one has been sick in any vehicle I have ever travelled in that has a video monitor. Well, sick from viewing the monitor! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ashok,

Park Lane was recommending these guys in London, they are supposedly very good. The dealer told me installation was 4 days and £3,500...I am sure if U go direct to them price might be better, Alpine screens and they can do multiregion too.
I had a sat nav installed in an RS4 by Sextons in Wandsworth, they were good, they do DVD set up too but I have no experience, they were recommended by Audi

C

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mmm.. thanks for that. I've driven past that place lots of times and always wondered what was going on in there! :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts