BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this off one of our local sites, Wheels24.co.za..

BMW in huge safety shock
26/11/2004 07:19​
Smaller cars are getting safer for their occupants Euro NCAP (The European New Car Assessment Programme) revealed on Thursday. However, BMW was in for a surprise with the safety rating given to its 5 Series.

BMW 5 Series didn't get a five-star rating
DisplayAd('C1');

DisplayAd('C2');

The 5 Series only scored four stars in the highly acclaimed Euro NCAP whereas the Audi A6, a rival to the 5 Series, received a five-star rating.

However, it wasn't all bad news for BMW as the 1 Series achieved a five-star rating.

Renault again showed that it is very commited to safety with its new Modus scoring the coveted five-star rating for occupant protection - the first supermini to do so. LATEST TEST RESULTS: Superminis

Occupant

Protection
Child

Protection
Pedestrian

Protection
Renault Modus

5 stars

4 stars

1 star

Hyundai Getz

4 stars

4 stars

1 star

Fiat Panda

3 stars

2 stars

1 star

KIA Picanto

3 stars

4 stars

1 star

Small Family Cars

Citroën C4

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

Ford Focus

5 stars

4 stars

2 stars

BMW 1-Series

5 stars

3 stars

1 star

Large Family Cars

Citroën C5

5 stars

3 stars

1 star

Skoda Octavia

4 stars

4 stars

2 stars

Executive Cars

Audi A6

5 stars

4 stars

1 star

BMW 5-Series

4 stars

4 stars

1 star

Small MPV

Seat Altea

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

Large Off-Roader

VW Touareg

5 stars

4 stars

1 star

Test Update

Mazda 2

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry.. the results were in a table, went all funny when I submitted the thread..

Were fine when I pasted.. :(

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thanks for the post. Interesting. We've discussed about this before. I will still say not many of us will bypass the M5! Tests are all driven by the definitions/standards and the context in which they are applied & judged.

B

·
0 Posts
This is clearly very bad news, and will cost BMW many millions in lost revenue, as many safety conscious customers will not stand for a 4-star rating in a car of the stature and price of the e60.

I am sure many will still purchase the e60, and the e60 M5 in particular, but I am disappointed, as this is an intrinsic design flaw that should not have happened. The one significant thing that is to the advantage of the e60, is that it is a large and heavy car, so even though the 1-series received an excellent 5-star rating, I would rather be in an e60 if a crash happened. Weight is more important than an additional safety star.

Cheers, Daniel.

PS Here is the full review:

·
Registered
12 Posts
BeastPower said:
This is clearly very bad news, and will cost BMW many millions in lost revenue, as many safety concious customers will not stand for a 4-star rating in a car of the stature and price of the e60.
I'm sure this will also be a PR nightmare of a sort:

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/23.60.html#subj3

I can understand what the engineer was thinking when he/she designed and coded that feature in there, but the actual application is somewhat flawed.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
BeastPower said:
Weight is more important than an additional safety star.
The bigger they are, the harder they fall..................

The fact is BMW should be getting 5 stars and nothing less. They are supposed to be one of the leading car manufacturers out there.

But at the end of the day driving with common sense and restraint is the safest way to make driving safer.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
hmm...lets see, the new m5 has 507 hp and a 4 star rating...so you can go 205 unlimited but you will probably kick the bucket at 50 since it only got 4 starts.

HA HA... the E39, by far the best.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
hmm...lets see, the new m5 has 507 hp and a 4 star rating...so you can go 205 unlimited but you will probably kick the bucket at 50 since it only got 4 starts.

HA HA... the E39, by far the best.
Funny, the e39 has the same rating, and per the written text did slightly worse... so maybe not.

·
Registered
246 Posts
BeastPower said:
This is clearly very bad news, and will cost BMW many millions in lost revenue, as many safety concious customers will not stand for a 4-star rating in a car of the stature and price of the e60.

I am sure many will still purchase the e60, and the e60 M5 in particular, but I am disappointed, as this is an intrinsic design flaw that should not have happened. The one significant thing that is to the advantage of the e60, is that it is a large and heavy car, so even though the 1-series received an excellent 5-star rating, I would rather be in an e60 if a crash happened. Weight is more important than an additional safety star.

Cheers, Daniel.
Drive the E60 on days you don't plan to wreack, and a Volvo on the days that you do. Seriously, 4 stars is not bad, I view this whole flak as a yawner. Obviously BMW would prefer 5's, but they are still building a safe car, just not the safest.

:typing: simmikie

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Reading the test, the only reason it got the 4 star was the Euro design lower dashboard and knee area. In the US, we have always gotten increased protection with a different designed (thicker, bigger, lower, and padded) in the knee areas, a design very different from the Euro spec car. I'd say the US version will be fine and will receive the 5 star rating in the US. Could this be that the Euro crowd will convert their cars to the US lower-dash design instead of the usual US mod frenzy????

·
Registered
764 Posts
I believe BMW takes safety very, VERY seriously. I agree that there is some subjective bias in the "star" analysis, and that energy transfer measurements to the dummies and occupant compartment intrusion are more important. However, I think that they are going to take a long, hard look at this data, and perform appropriate reinforcements exclusive of a significant (read expensive) redesign. That said, I would feel as safe or safer in a 5 series than in any other sedan from any other manufacturer out there. I've seen some really horrific crashes, frontal, side, and rear, in E39s, and most of the occupants just dusted themselves off from the sodium azide in the airbags and called their insurance companies. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Just saw this on another BMW forum. Not sure of its authenticity:

I see that the E60 has only achieved a 4 star NCAP crash rating - at the second attempt. The first time out it achieved only 3 Stars!! All its rivals are 5 star cars.

To get a 4 star rating improvments had to be made to the steering column, footrest, door trim, airbags, door latch and software - and these mods only apply to cars made after September 04, all those before are 3 star rated cars!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It was the fact that pre Sept 04 models are only 3 Stars and that they had to do a considerable amount to get the 4 Stars

·
Registered
764 Posts
I looked at the 1998 result for the E39 which was also only 4 stars. I can tell you that the E39 has one of the lowest injury claim histories of any car on the road in the U.S. I find it hard to believe that there has been no advance in the safety design for the E60, but perhaps certain structural aspects of the car don't perform as well in the NCAP test as in BMW's own testing. :wroom:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
The NCAP ratings are not what I really bother looking at when buying a car - does anyone here?

Safety *is* important to me, but not that much that I buy a Hummer / Volvo. Also, the NCAP ratings aren't that representative of the most usual crash situations. Why no rear impact tests? The 7 seat cars would fail spectacularly on those...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Munky said:
The NCAP ratings are not what I really bother looking at when buying a car - does anyone here?

Safety *is* important to me, but not that much that I buy a Hummer / Volvo. Also, the NCAP ratings aren't that representative of the most usual crash situations. Why no rear impact tests? The 7 seat cars would fail spectacularly on those...
It is important to me, considering the competition Audi and Merc have 5 stars!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Munky said:

This is why we need a 5 star rating! You never think about it until something happens..... :sad2:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts