BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I have recently replaced my pads all around with disastrous effect. I only drive the car on weekends but did the change around 6 weeks ago. The pads were replaced by pagid pads that were suposed to be OE Spec. There was a very slight lip on the discs but still plenty of life so I kept them.
After they were changed they seemed to get to the limit of the operating temperatures far quicker than my old stock pads.
The main problem is that I have major brake wobble coming through the steering from the front. The cars recently passed the mot and had the tie rod end replaced and there is no shaking atall whilst driving. It seems as the brakes get hotter they shake more violently. When cold it is fine and I can't feel anything but if I do say 7-10 stops from 50mph-10mph the shaking gets worse each time I brake.

This I thought was a warped disc so yesterday I had the wheels off and checked with a runout kit.
Left side was 0.02mm and right side was 0.05mm (which if I'm right is not enough to cause problems?)
The pads are seated correctly and nothing is loose. The discs rotate freely so the callipers are not sticking.

I am at a complete loss to what would cause such a shake.

I think I'll be ordering today stoptech ss brake lines and get new brake fluid done but this won't be the cause of the shaking.
BMW want £1100 to fit stock discs and pads or I can go with stoptech 2 peice floating rotars and aftermarket pads?

I want a braking system suitable for hard street driving
What does anyone think my best options are? Thanks

T

·
0 Posts
This is what happens when you out new pads on a used rotor. It will take about 500-miles of aggressive driving or so for the pads to seat into the rotors. Currently, I bet it still isn't even half seated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
124 Posts
The replacement pads need to be "bedded". I switch back and forth between track pads and street pads on my E46 and it is seamless as long as they are properly bedded. Just search "bedding the brakes", most manufacturers have similar methods of cycling ever increasing effort and speed without coming to a complete stop. Will greatly increase the effectiveness of your brakes.
Mike

Reactions: Johnky90
1 - 3 of 3 Posts