BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
His summary:

- M5 a bit faster and a bit more nimble
- CLS far better looking and power is more accessible (simpler)
- The author appears to like the CLS more, but the M5 has the "our choice" next to it in the stats summary table.

Looks are quite subjective, and I must say that the CLS's high, convex curving body line bothers me. Among other things, I question how good the visibility is and how roomy the rear is (esp. headroom).

In terms of performance accessibility, BMW seems to have a ready answer in M-Drive; a single button push and you've hit your ideal performance setting combination. But then again, I'm a technophile and I can see how more traditional types might be put off by the solution as much as the problem (of complexity).

The review disappoints me in not having more objective data. Many of the CLS data sheet cells have NA in them, so I must assume a full test was not performed.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I find both cars to be ugly, but the CLS to be even uglier than the E60! From some angles it looks like a hunch back.

I am also perplexed by the "our choice" for the M5, they seemed to prefer the alternate nature of the CLS55. Also, the complaint that the CLS has a unique interior is a bit silly because the M5 shares its basic interior with the E60 series, as does the AMG variant of the CLS.

Despite these questions, I enjoyed reading the article- thanks!

I found myself shaking my head in agreement with the SMG comments as well as the relative complexity BMW seems to want to put into using the new cars.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't like the cls's look. It looks like a coupé, and they jammed 2 additional doors in it hiha

Mercedes will have to come with something better than that if they want to impress me

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I am not a big fan of the CLS. The high belt line and chunky back end with steelpy arched back seem to fight with the eyes. I also found the article sent mixed messages as they seemed to praise the CLS yet they chose the M5.

Thanks for posting the article:cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
You could also consider this- maybe the funky E60 forced MB to spawn the CLS. Did BMW cause MB to generate 2 models? One, the E for the conservative buyers and the CLS for their more stylistic liberal ones? If so, is that a coup for BMW? They can achieve a bit of both in one design? Just some random thoughts.....

·
Registered
722 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
...I found myself shaking my head in agreement with the SMG comments as well as the relative complexity BMW seems to want to put into using the new cars.
Jerry,

Without having any direct experience with the new M5, I nevertheless suspect that many of us may be deceiving ourselves on the M5 "complexity" issue. You can't have a 400-500 hp luxury sedan that accelerates and corners like a high performance sports car, but must also run errands around town and carry four passengers and their luggage with comfort, unless high technology is applied. The reason that such cars don't have the suspension compliance of a prairie wagon or wallow and undulate like a sofa on bed springs is that they are electronically managed. Computers, circuitry, and servos underlying most everything. Where the BMW M5 differentiates itself to some extent from the rest is in the degree to which more "choice" over this management is offered, in effect putting some of this control back into the hands of the driver.

Most of us are quite comfortable having a choice over printer fonts, loading and choosing among alternative browsers, or installing and learning to play a new computer game. The creation of computational choice doesn't make the computer more complex; it makes better use of the computer. Advocates of simplicity would say that BMW should have implemented a "best compromise" combination of these various driving parameters. In computer terms, I suppose that would be Internet Explorer and Word. As it turns out, I don't like or use either.

Moreover, none of us will trouble ourselves behind the wheel of an M5 switching among the numerous permutations and combinations of performance options. We'll pick perhaps three sets of performance parameters (one automatic and two manual) for day-to-day use, program one of these into the "M" button, and ignore the rest.

Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts