BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have 1st, 2nd or even 75th hand knowledge on whether the MB E class rattles and squeaks less than the E39? E39's as we all know are full of them.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
a_ok2me said:
Does anyone have 1st, 2nd or even 75th hand knowledge on whether the MB E class rattles and squeaks less than the E39? E39's as we all know are full of them.

Interesting. I have owned 3 E39s, including one M5, and not a rattle out of any of them. hmmm

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuckc said:
Interesting. I have owned 3 E39s, including one M5, and not a rattle out of any of them. hmmm
Hi Chuckc, your post #11 in Re: M audio or decklid rattle states that your sunshade rattles when it's down right?

Here's my list:
1) Every E39 that I have test driven or owned has foam in the dash that squeaks when it's cold.
2) My M5 headliner rattled, but has since been fixed by the dealer after about one month in the shop, dropping the car off about 4 or 5 times.
3) My sunroof rattles slightly.
4) The sunshade rattled until I fixed with with tape.
5) My rear shelf rattled until I did my own fix.
6) Oh...THE DOORS SQUEAK. The infamous door seal. I can make a pretty good guess that everyone here has squeaky door seals.
7) The leather on the rear arm rest rubs and squeaks.

All that doesn't include the K-Marted cup holders. When I decided to put a ton of money into a car, I was hoping for better quality. Don't get me wrong, I like the car, but I was hoping more. I'm just curious if MB owners feel the same about their cars.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The E39 M5 is a great car, but the one thing that really left a bad and lasting impression about the build quality was the chronic rattles from the rear of the car. You'd think after the better part of a decade of production the rattles would have been eliminated years ago.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
a_ok2me said:
Hi Chuckc, your post #11 in Re: M audio or decklid rattle states that your sunshade rattles when it's down right?
Oh yes, I remember now that the M-audio system would cause an intermittent vibration when the sunshade was down. Since I drove mostly with it up, I forgot about that one. (I sold the M5 last year)

The E36 M3 I had used to get squeaks in the fold down rear seats. Some lube on the latches helped that one.

I do remember test driving a used M5 and the dashboard had some squeaks and rattles. But then again, the whole car looked beat-up.

:cheers:

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2000 528i Sport had no rattles, squeaks, nothing after 90K miles. My M5 is much nosier which I blame on the stiffer suspension, and larger wheels. My friend has and E500 and it seems much more quiet then the M5 overall. However he has had more problems with the car then anyone should ever have to put up with in a lifetime of owning cars.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tetherM5 said:
...My friend has and E500 and it seems much more quiet then the M5 overall. However he has had more problems with the car then anyone should ever have to put up with in a lifetime of owning cars.
My thoughts are the same such that the MB has better interior quality, but mechanically and electronically, it's a nightmare compared the BMW. These are just thoughts, not thorough experience. BMW electronics can be bad though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
BKH said:
The E39 M5 is a great car, but the one thing that really left a bad and lasting impression about the build quality was the chronic rattles from the rear of the car. You'd think after the better part of a decade of production the rattles would have been eliminated years ago.
Well, you can add to that an awful wind leak around the driver's door. The one time I street raced (lost pitifully to a Camaro) the leak was so bad I couldn't hear my wife screaming for me to slow down.

I thought buying the last year of a body style got you the best build quality. The sad part is that might be the case.

=NLK=

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
nlk10010 said:
Well, you can add to that an awful wind leak around the driver's door. The one time I street raced (lost pitifully to a Camaro) the leak was so bad I couldn't hear my wife screaming for me to slow down.
=NLK=
hiha hiha

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
nlk10010 said:

I thought buying the last year of a body style got you the best build quality. The sad part is that might be the case.

=NLK=
I can relate, I had horrible wind noise from my drivers door of my 98 540. :mad: The noise started after the dealer replaced the door seals under factory warranty:(

·
Registered
184 Posts
31K on mine and not a rattle or squeek, although I do have some very minor creaking coming from the climate control panel when I hit bumps (will hopefully be fixed this week) and some creaking from the split fold down seats when I hit larger bumps. I am actually surprised given that the suspension is quite stiff and the car is and has been driven quite hard (both of which I assume apply to all M5's).

I would nonetheless assume that a standard E-class or E55 would have less rattles/squeaks/creaks than the e39 5 series or M5, respectively, given the softer suspension of the MB's and the fact that they are not generally not driven as hard.

a_ok2me said:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Our E39 M5 had squeaks coming from the sunroof and rear side of the car. There definitly was some squeak and rattling happening on the rear shelf by the speakers but it was quickly fixed.

The E55 on the other hand is perfect, not a single squeak or rattle heard inside the car while driving on smooth or rough surfaces.

As for electronics, well we've been absolutly problem free for a year now except for the passenger side mirror not reclining to curb level on occasion when reversing. I say, the more regularly you drive it, the less problems you'll have. Going on 16K miles after 14 months...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Van Cooper - off topic, but how do like your MCS convertible, and how does it drive compared to your other MCS? My wife is begging for an MCS convertible to replace our MCS.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
WannaM5 said:
Van Cooper - off topic, but how do like your MCS convertible, and how does it drive compared to your other MCS? My wife is begging for an MCS convertible to replace our MCS.
Well, the single biggest difference between my '03 MCS and my '05 MCS convertible is the horsepower bump combined with the gearing change.

For 2005, Mini made some change to the MCS lineup. They bumped horsepower from 163 to 170 and they changed the gearing. I have to shift more often now but the acceleration is relentless and the torque is more present now. I comsume a little more gas on the highway now because the different gearing makes the engine run at a slightly higher rpm.

With that said, the MCS convertible has roughly 175-200 lbs more to carry compared to the MCS but because of the gearing, I can keep up with '02-'04 MCS. You do feel the extra weight behind the wheel but I like cars with heavy steering feel rather than a light, disconnected feel. The only bad thing that I can think off for the MCS convertible is the price. At CDN 43K, I'm only 3K away from the luxury car tax bracket :confused3 :confused3 :eek: :eek:

Because this is a convertible car, you should expect to get some shaking on the front end of the car. I can't compare that shaking with other convertibles because I haven't driven other convertibles but magazines and such all seem to say that the MCS convertible doesn't shake much so It's a good sign that BMW did its job with strenghtening the chassis.

All in all, I really love my MCS convertible, it still turns heads and it provides me with fun, open air motoring. I have seen many Cooper convertible but a few (less than 5) Cooper S convertible on the road and that should translate to higher exclusivity and better resale. :cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Comparing my 02 M5 to my mom's 01 E430: The M5, no rattles at all, one tiny squeak in the headliner when very cold outside and NO problems with this car past bad radio reception and an occassional DSP lockup. The E430 squeaks and rattles like an old Chevy and spends about 1/4 of it's time at the shop (COMAND system problems, broken window regulators, broken HVAC system, etc, etc). I'd pick the E39 any day over the previous E-class cars, comparing the E60 to the new E-class is a different story...MB all the way, but this is based on styling and electronics, not build quality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts