BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking into windshield replacement options on my 2003 E39 M5, I have noticed there are multiple options.

My car came with the climate comfort windshield. I believe the replacement part no. is 51317059699
This is to my knowledge the laminated version with a green tint, IR protection and green sunshade in the top edge of the window, and fits the rain sensor.

As there are a number of different producers, and the prices vary by up to 50%, I was wondering the following about oem aftermarket replacement windscreens vs original:

1. Identical in quality (i.e. if certain producers have opted to use new materials, UV protection etc.)
2. Identical in tint and tone - or if certain producers have opted to make a darker tinting in their glass?
3. Do I have to watch out for unlaminated single layer windshields?
4. Is there such a thing as a bullet proof (extra strong) version?
5. Are there fitment issues over the production line from 98-03?
6. Should I just buy the original as it is not overly expensive?

I am inclined to just buy the original, but if there is in fact a difference in the tint of the versions I might go for the darkest oem option, as I am not a fan of adding tint to the windows.

- As a secondary question with regards to window glas, I have experienced a continuous degradation of my rear (back) window. Although not scratched, there is a lot of shadowy spots, which become particularly visible, when the car is newly polished. It seems as if the (double layered glass?) is potentially separating, creating the spots. The same can be observed to a lesser degree on the side windows.

7. Is this a known aging problem with BMW windows, and if so can it be fixed or is replacement the only way?

I look forward to your input.

·
Registered
236 Posts
if oem is not too expensive that what I would go with. you might be better off calling a windshield shop with these question. dont think there a dark oem tint usually blue or green anyways and a bullet proof one would be custom made and a up armor company could probably get one for a hefty penny.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts