BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced rear window regulators on my E39 M5. I did everything by the book, yet now dealing with SRS light on my dash that won’t clear.
1. Opened the trunk, waited about 5 min for NAVI to power down.
2. Disconnected NEGATIVE from the battery.
3. Started working on the doors.

Pulled Right door panel…………..and this where it gets interesting. I’ve noticed that my rear right airbag was NOT plugged in. It was mounted, but the YELLOW plug was NOT plugged in. The wiring was zipped tied together.

Pulled Left door panel…………..same thing.

In nearly 10 years / 70K miles, the SRS light was never ON due to AirBag related issues, which was kind of strange, since 2 AirBags were not plugged in for nearly 10 years........................maybe longer
The only time I had SRS light ON, is when my Left Seat-Belt Buckle broke. It was replaced in Oct 2015, and I was able to clear the SRS Code and SRS light.

So here is where it gets in even more interesting.
After I replaced both window regulators and assembled the doors, I decided to plug in the AirBag wires and that is the problem started.
As soon as I plugged in the Rear Right Side AirBag, my scanner right away showed 3 codes;
1. SRS Module.
2. Internal Power.
3. Rear Right Side AirBag was NOT detected.

When I plugged in Rear Left Side AirBag, my scanner right away showed 4 codes:
1. SRS Module.
2. Internal Power.
4. Rear Left Side AirBag was NOT detected.

This was very odd, since it wasn’t an issue when the actual AirBags were unplugged. Yet, became an issue right after Airbags were plugged in.

I have 2 SRS scanners. Both showed exactly the same codes.
Took my car to 2 different Pro-Shops. Techs at both shops had exactly the same codes and they both did NOT know why codes showed up after AirBag were plugged in, and never showed up when AirBags were unplugged.

Here are my questions:

1. If I purchase a USED SRS Module with the same part # / etc., does it need to be coded by a dealer or it could be coded at home. I read something about INPA scanner/software that allows you to program modules, but I don’t know anything about it.
2. If I purchase a BRAND-NEW SRS Module, does it come un-coded? Or I still need to make a trip to the dealer?
3. If someone could explain why SRS was OFF when AirBags were unplugged, and why SRS came ON after AirBag were plugged in.

I’m NOT sure where to go from here. Any help/suggestions would be great. I can provide pictures, if helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
506 Posts
From the factory the rear airbags are not coded into the SRS module and the airbags are supposed to be unplugged. By plugging them in, you probably freaked out the SRS module accordingly. You'll have to get the SRS module coded for the rear airbags now, or go back in and disconnect them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think going back is a little too late. I've tried disconnecting them, SRS codes won't go away. Scanner is showing the same 4 codes and SRS light remains on.

Is there a chance that my SRS module is OK, just need to be re-coded? What if I pull the SRS module out of the car and leave it plugged for 24-48 hours. Would it erase the memory or SRS module similar to a computer hard-drive, which does not need power to keep the stored info?

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
If I recall correctly, 01 and 03 rear airbags were standard, but were not 'activated" unless the owner requested it. In 02, rear airbags were a no cost option, but you had to "check the box". Same thing, they were delivered but not activated. They can be dangerous if car seats are used in the rear seats.

Unless someone can program through INPA or similar, I think you have to get the dealer to code the rear airbags. Have you tried disconnecting the rear airbags, then clearing the codes as you did before?

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: beatsjunky

·
Registered
506 Posts
Disconnect, clear codes. Codes do not clear automatically or by themselves. That should do it. My 00 has the rear (disconnected) airbags. There is a sticker on the door sill mentioning that they are there but deactivated.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Disconnect, clear codes. Codes do not clear automatically or by themselves. That should do it. My 00 has the rear (disconnected) airbags. There is a sticker on the door sill mentioning that they are there but deactivated.

Correct, you need INPA / DIS /PASoft to do this.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Or the Peake SRS tool. Let me also just mention as a side note regarding the thread title that this is NOT a "nightmare" by any stretch. The OP is going to have to re-calibrate his expectations on what a German car nightmare really is! This is nothing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My M5 is 03/2000 production.
There were no stickers RE: aribags being disconnected. At least I did not notice any.

I've tried disconnecting the AirBags, thn clearing codes using 2 different SRS Scanners, but codes just won't go away. It would say "codes erased/cleared". But SRS light would remain on. I would re-scan and both scanners would show the same 4 codes and SRS light remains on.
1. SRS Module.
2. Internal Power.
4. Rear Left Side AirBag was NOT detected.

I'm so surprised and very glad, that so many of you were able to figure out the issue, and direct me in a right direction. The reason I called this a "nightmare" , is because I've been to 2 different shops, even talked to a dealer (#3). No one had any idea. Dealer said that I may have to rewire entire section, as they assumed there was a brake in the wiring.

I do have another questions RE: INPA / DIS /PASoft.
I've seem those on eBay as cheap as $10-$50. Am I looking at the right cables/software? I can't imagine that something so important could be so cheap.

BMW Inpa K Can for BMW with FT232RL Chip Diagnostic from 1998Y to 2008Y Hot | eBay

BMW USB OBD Diagnostic Cable Inpa Ediabas Ncsexpert Dis V57 SSS V32 Progman GT1 | eBay

Also I actually have OBDII to USB cable & 20-pin adapter. It was used to upload stage 3 software years ago. Can I just use the same cable and try to download the software?

·
Registered
506 Posts
OK. It is not unheard of for the SRS module to go bad and that is what the #1 code is, I think technically it's called "Internal Fault" if that's what the code is that you're talking about. I missed that reading this initially. That does definitely make it more of a nightmare status because then the codes never clear out. I can't imagine why that would happen relative to what you did, but here we are. A used SRS module from the same production era from a 540 or M5 can be swapped in without coding, the module is in the center console and pretty easily swapped. It does not need to be coded to the VIN or anything, the coding is only to the vehicle configuration and again if it's the same vehicle configuration it should be plug and play. Since we are talking about a safety system of the car, this information is to be used at your own risk.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pulled the SRS module when I doing my "testing" so I could get the correct part # / etc. I think I'm going to buy a used one with identical part # / all other info. Found it on eBay for about $100. I' think it worth trying, before going the dealer and paying $1,000.00 for new SRS module. Will post an update after I get the part.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I've found bunch of used SRS modules with the same part #, which is 65.77-9600727 /// V2.5, but I've noticed some units have same part # and it would say V2.5 and on some it would say V3.0. I'm assuming that "V" stands for Version. Does it make a difference. If I go with V2.5 or V3.0, as long the part # is the same? And does the Serien-Nr # make any difference.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought I post an update:
I ended up buying programmer/coder. Tried to program rear-door airbag. It showed that it was programmed, but the SRS light wouldn't go away.
Ended up purchasing used SRS module with same part #/V#/etc. It was pulled from 2000 BMW 540i with M-Package. (I think that as close as I could get to my 2000 BMW M5). Got it installed. SRS module had bunch of codes, but I was able to clear them. SRS light finally went away, but I drover the car for only 1 day about 20 miles. (Having other issues. Not related to SRS).
I should be able to get it all fixed in the next 2-weeks, depending how fast parts will arrive to fix the other issues. If anything changes related to SRS, will post an update.

Again, thanks to everyone!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Or the Peake SRS tool. Let me also just mention as a side note regarding the thread title that this is NOT a "nightmare" by any stretch. The OP is going to have to re-calibrate his expectations on what a German car nightmare really is! This is nothing.
Might not necessarily be true. I have an 01 and the previous owner connected and coded in the rear airbags. I disconnected them and had the SRS light. Tried to reset with the Peake SRS tool with no luck. Going to have to re code the SRS module with PASoft

1 - 13 of 13 Posts