BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have E39 M5 - 03/2000 (US Model). The sound system and Navi is all stock, except the screen. It was changed from 4:3 to 16:9 - BMW OEM Head-Unit.

The CD Changer is kind of worthless. It does not play MP3 Formatted CDs, does not recognize Rewritable CDs and skips with every little bump. I had been playing MP3 via FM mod, but the sound is not all that great. To my understating there is a unit that can be installed instead of CD-changer that has MP3 or iPod input. The unit will display the MP3s on the head-unit, just like the CD changer - (Album # and Sound #).

Does anyone know a good brand or can point me in the right direction where to find a good unit. I know there are a lot of units on the market, but some requires wires cutting, etc. That is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a plug-and-play unit.

Any help / info would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Dice mediabridge or duo. Start by checking out options from Dice.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Hi,

I have E39 M5 - 03/2000 (US Model). The sound system and Navi is all stock, except the screen. It was changed from 4:3 to 16:9 - BMW OEM Head-Unit.

The CD Changer is kind of worthless. It does not play MP3 Formatted CDs, does not recognize Rewritable CDs and skips with every little bump. I had been playing MP3 via FM mod, but the sound is not all that great. To my understating there is a unit that can be installed instead of CD-changer that has MP3 or iPod input. The unit will display the MP3s on the head-unit, just like the CD changer - (Album # and Sound #).

Does anyone know a good brand or can point me in the right direction where to find a good unit. I know there are a lot of units on the market, but some requires wires cutting, etc. That is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a plug-and-play unit.

Any help / info would be great.

Thanks.
Intravee II FTW! http://www.intravention.co.uk

·
Registered
801 Posts
Looking for the same adapters here. I have a 2002 model with Nav. Dice seems to discontinued.
You might want to check out Grom. There’s how to’s here and on YouTube for the instal.

.... I play my iPod through the stock system with Grom Audio. I run it through the lightning pin hard line from a small iPod I keep in the trunk, but you could Bluetooth it from your phone. It allows you to select playlists, ff,rwd, skip, etc through the stock head unit. The steering wheel controls work as well. If you have DSP, you'll need this adapter. The Grom goes in place of your 6 disc changer and does require taping 2 wires into existing power. Super simple though.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
I've got a used GROM if you are interested. I'm upgrading to a new head unit, so nothing wrong with it, just don't need it any more

Doug

·
Registered
307 Posts
Another vote for Intravee II + Alpine KCA-420i iPod adapter here. It's a little pricey new but worth it, or you can try to find a used setup to save some money. Don't have to mess with hooking up your phone every time you get in the car, just leave an old iPod in the trunk. Can program the steering wheel and head unit buttons to select playlists, pause the music, etc.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Looking for the same adapters here. I have a 2002 model with Nav. Dice seems to discontinued.
Come on, don't bump a thread from 2012

Another vote for Intravee II + Alpine KCA-420i iPod adapter here. It's a little pricey new but worth it, or you can try to find a used setup to save some money. Don't have to mess with hooking up your phone every time you get in the car, just leave an old iPod in the trunk. Can program the steering wheel and head unit buttons to select playlists, pause the music, etc.
I just snagged an intravee + KCA-420i on ebay for 100 bucks. I already have one in my car, easily one of the best mods I've done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
cghempel
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing