BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Bimmer lovers;
Sorry if some of these issues are reposts but i have multiple issues and i thought it would be easier to have them in a single post. i have a 2002 E39 M5 Hamman i use it as my everyday car, its a fantastic car but latley i have been plagued with some issues that might be or might not be serious, hence i need your help in identifying and solving these issues; so i can keep this beautiful beast alive. Please find below a list of problems and car details:

Milage: 168000 Kms
last service: 1 month ago; replaced filter and did oil flush/change
last major service was about 8 months ago where previous owner replaced clutch, brake discs, brake pads, filter, oil flush and even replaced tires.

1- After doing the service i noticed smoke from the tail pipes but only for a day the next day there was no smoke but i have noticed oily residue on 3 of the 4 exhaust pipe tips, the oil is not everywhere in the exhaust but right at the tips at the end, I have noticed a few drops of oil when i park the car, the other day i reved it hard and i noticed that the oil residue on the exhaust truned whitish. I am very concerned about this, i had some oil in the trunk that leaked out and messed up my trunk and it went all the way and leaked out of the car but i do not suspect this got into the exhaust it self. Kindly please advise...

2-My screen has gone off the radio/CD changer everything is working i can increase/decrease the volueme, change tracks,from the unti and from the sterring wheel but nothing is displayed on the screen its a blank screen, i can tell that the light behind the screen is working cause i can see the screen light up when i switch on the car. It happened before and after a few days when i started the car the screen was working again but this time its been weeks and the screen is not working i took it to the dealership and as usual they told me to replace the screen.

3-The other day late at night and the outside temp was around 19 degrees. I was driving and all of a sudden the radio stopped wipers engaged, i got two warning lights, battery and traction or ABS (i think) car felt like it lost power; i immediatley put it in neutral, the whole incident lasted for liek 5 seconds. After that radio came back on, wipers stoped, i put the car back into 4th gear and continued driving, i have not experienced anything like that before and since it happened i have not noticed it anything strange with the car. Before it happened the radio kept changing from CD to FM for a few seconds then back to CD it happened 4 times at different times of the day. I need expert advice on this could it be something wrong with the cluster, ECU, relay switches ???

4-The aircon has an internal leakage i filled up the aircon gas 2 in the last 2 months, i notice that one side if the car cools more than the other, they garage i take it to told me its an internal leak and not a compressor leak heance they have to take the dashboard apart to fix the leak.

5-I keep getting a low windscreen washer message i filled the container and noticed there was a leak cause the samll pipe that runs from the container to the washers was disconnected, i reconnected it filled up the washer container again but i keep getting the message.

6- The driver side side mirror doesn't fold when i press the button to fold them. I noticed before that the right one would fold faster than the left one. I guesse i need to replace the whole side mirror or find the motor if its sold seperatley.

I am sorry for the long post. I look forward to some advice and positive responses.

Cheers...:)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
4-The aircon has an internal leakage i filled up the aircon gas 2 in the last 2 months, i notice that one side if the car cools more than the other, they garage i take it to told me its an internal leak and not a compressor leak heance they have to take the dashboard apart to fix the leak.

There's a solenoid that deals with this (twin heater solenoid valve), that I seem to remember gets more attention on general E39 forums. I would suspect the diagnosis of a leak, as the heat distribution on these type of systems is usually controlled by automatic flappage, and not two separate systems... (happy to be corrected if needed)

Here's where I read about it, I seem to have same issue and it's on the list :)

forum.bmw5.co.uk • View topic - Hot air out of vents on one side - DEFINITIVE FIX.

As for : 2-My screen has gone off the radio/CD changer everything is working i can increase/decrease the volueme, change tracks,from the unti and from the sterring wheel but nothing is displayed on the screen its a blank screen, i can tell that the light behind the screen is working cause i can see the screen light up when i switch on the car. It happened before and after a few days when i started the car the screen was working again but this time its been weeks and the screen is not working i took it to the dealership and as usual they told me to replace the screen.

Use the search feature for this (try 'blank screen', 'nav gone off' etc. Can't remember the exact phrase but it's happened to loads of owners before), loads on it, Nav firmware, plenty to try before replacing the screen, which I don't think would sort it anyway. For example, http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/167975-16-9-monitor-blank-screen.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts