• Un-Known Brand (from China) - $10.00

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has any suggestions on the Front ABS Sensor for E39 M5.

Here are my options:
OEM-BMW from a dealer - $100
VDO (which I think is the OEM brand) - $83
Meyle - $40
Un-Known brand (probably from China) - $10

I'm not a big fan of after-market parts, especially sensors, but we are taking 2 wires and a plug. Not a major engine component. Do I really need go with OEM or high priced sensors?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Tell you something you may hate more; putting in a front sensor only to find it is the ABS unit. Far to often the car reports a front sensor failure, but the problem is the ABS unit. If you have not flipped the right and left sensor and watched to see if the code moved with the sensor, I would suggest you do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not done the Left to Right swap. I had a friend to run a diagnostic (using pro-scanner / snap-on) and it showed Front Right.
I thought if ABS is bad that OBD-II scanner (SR-300) would be able to pull a code. I ran a scan via OBDII port and it showed no codes at all.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I still have not resolved the ABS/DSC/BRAKE (yellow) issue, which stared months ago. (I was pretty busy for several months and did not have time to play in the garage, so car was sleeping for nearly 2 months).

So here is quick summary:
DIAGNOSTIC
• ABS/DSC/BRAKE(yellow) light would light up after cold start with warm engine. Out of 5 starts lights would light up about 3 times.
• Pulled codes - Showed Front Right ABS Sensor bad.
• Cleared codes. Swapped Right to Left. Pull codes again – Showed Front Left ABS Sensor bad.
o So I figure it must Front ABS Sensor. I did not swap them back. Just marked to replace the Left Side.

TRY #1
• Purchased VDO/Siemens (BMW OEM) ABS Sensor - $66.00
• Installed ABS Sensor on the Left Side.
• Cleared codes. Double checked that codes were cleared.
• After engine warmed up, ABS/DSC/BRAKE(yellow) lights came on.
• Pulled codes - Showed Front Left ABS Sensor bad.
• Cleared codes again. Double checked again. – All cleared.
• Swapped Left to Right side.
• Pulled codes (and this is where it gets interesting) – again showed Front Left ABS Sensor bad.
o Since I swapped them Left to Right, I was expecting to show Right side bad, but it showed Left again.
• Cleared codes.
• Swapped again.
• Pulled codes – again showed Front Left ABS Sensor bad.
o At this point I thought maybe I got a bad ABS sensor.

TRY #2
• Purchased ABS Sensor from BMW Dealer - $155.00
• Cleared codes. Double checked that codes were cleared.
• Installed ABS Sensor on the Left Side.
• Pulled codes - again showed Front Left ABS Sensor bad.
• Swapped Left to Right side.
• Pulled codes – again showed Front Left ABS Sensor bad.

It seems that no matter what I do, my scanner is showing Left ABS Sensor bad. What confuses me the most is before I did any swapping/etc., BMW shop pulled codes for me and would show Right ABS Sensor bad. And it was tested 2 times before I even start doing any work. Then when I did my 1st swap, the same BMW shop pulled codes, and it showed Left Side.

What am I doing wrong? This should be an easy fix. Could I have damaged ABS/DSC module (which I think are the same thing) while driving for months with a bad ABS sensor.
Or does my Chinese made scanner (C310 Creator) is not clearing codes. I highly doubt its the scanner, but I figure I put as much details as possible.
s
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
It is not the scanner. Even if it did not clear the codes, old codes won't make the lights come on, the old code would just stay in memory. Looks like it is the module you could do some more testing though.
Here is how to remove.
View attachment abs_dsc_module removal.pdf
This is a good DIY but it does not always open correctly because it has been converted so many times. The original post is on bimmerfest and the poster was bluebee.
View attachment ABS Diagnose.pdf

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, I was afraid it could be ABS/DSC Module. I guess what threw me off are the code. Original it was Front Right. After swapped it showed Front Left (makes sense). But then again after multiple swaps it continued to showed Front Left only. Even when I plug what I assume is a bad ABS sensor on the Right, it would still show Left ABS bad.
I'll try to do more testing, using provided links, but it all fails, to the shop she goes :)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Could be a wheel bearing too, since the sensor "senses" the bearing right?
It could be dirt/gunk buildup on the bearing pulse ring causing poor signal generation. I just replaced all four of my WBs and there was a ton of crud in there. It might be worth pulling the sensor and wiping down the pulse ring.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here is the update, if anyone is curios:
Ended up taking car to dealer. Dealer confirmed that it I had bad DSC module. $2,000.00 USD for part & labor. I knew that with my work hours, there is no way I'd have time to deal with this any time soon, so I had them take care of the repair. Yes, I know that was not the smartest decision, but it is what it is. At least have 2-year warranty.

I'm still not clear how it could have been DSC module, since the traction control and ABS were working. I had taken my car out on the parking lot covered with ice and snow, and I can feel the thought the brake pedal that ABS working. And traction was working too, otherwise I would not be able to clime small hill cover with ice & snow, plus I can see light coming on & off when it was kicking in.

I did the same thing after dealer installed new DSC module, and felt no difference at all. It almost feels like I spend $2,000.00 for the lights to go away.................LOL.

I guess I still have lots to learn.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did you try disconnecting the battery for a little bit? My brother's E39 (not M5) had issue with his brake light and after replacing a sensor it didn't go off... It only did after disconnecting the battery for sometime and reconnecting it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OMG............................I'm so freaking stupid. I can not believe that I did all these tests/diagnostics, and did not even think about doing something so simple. Well, its too late now. new DSC was installed last week. I made an impulse decision and it cost me...........$$$.:mad:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts