BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I know a number of forum members have had subwoofers installed in their M5 weather it was a custom install or an M-Audio upgrade. I wanted to share my installation outcome that I recently went with. Originally I had a 10" subwoofer box in the trunk and it produced great bass but I wanted something that would take up minimal space, look like a custom installation and produce great sound. Well I came across an install that used the area in the right side of the trunk. I sent my trunk trim piece to a company in Sarasota Florida called SRQ Custom Autosound, Car Audio in Sarasota Florida – SRQ Custom Autosound and they made a custom 1.0 cubic foot sub enclosure to fit the inner side well of my trunk. Through further conversation with SRQ I elected to install a 10" Hertz Energy Subwoofer in the custom enclosure. It took SRQ two days to build the enclosure, install the woofer and ship it back to me. Upon installation in my BMW all I can say is "AMAZING". It sounds so much better than my previous set up and I have all my useable trunk space. I am very impressed with the sound quality, craftsmanship in the building of the sub enclosure, and attention to details that SRQ exhibited throughout the build of the final product. I could go on but I let the pictures speak for themself.

Reactions: sor118 and rao

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Looks great. I just picked up a used fiberglass box to replace my old wooden one that was taking up too much space. I recovered it and am very happy with it :)

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hi,

A nice aesthetic look and also tucked to the side to allow you load space as you say - those are good positives. However, due to the location, a lot of the output from the subwoofer will simply stay in the trunk/boot area just swirling around there and not 'flowing' into the cabin where you sit. Do you have the ski hatch in your car? if so, you can drop that down and a good percentage of the bass will flow into the cabin, but not all. The results currently if the ski hatch is up or if you don't have one and the trunk is sealed, is in the cabin, you'll only be getting 'vibrational' bass coming through, not 'musical' bass.

The most efficient, cost effective and relatively easy to install solution is as per below;

It's a sealed enclosure that's up against the rear seat bulkhead and sealed around the ski hatch aperture so that no sound escapes back into the trunk area. The subwoofers 'fire' through the gap and 100% of the bass is transferred into the cabin. There's no rattles of the bootlid and vibrating of the number plate which I suspect, you might have in your setup - it might not be much as you might not have a lot of RMS power from the amplifier you are using, but it'll still be there.

Of course, if you are happy with how it is now, that's absolutley fine, the above is more efficient and better sounding method for pretty much any saloon/sedan BMW to get excellent, clean, controlled and musical sub bass into the car's cabin.

*edit* in the pictures above, that customer did go for a 'show' look - it's the principle I'm mentioning, a single higher quality 8 or 10 inch subwoofer, in an even smaller (perhaps even smaller than the enclosure you've had made) sealed enclosure around 5 inches in depth will provide fantastic sub bass. You don't have to install the amplifier in that location nor do you have to go with alcantara trimming and perspex with neon lighting either! just a simple, small enclosure right where the ski hatch is!

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
or you can remove the speakers from the rear deck so that the bass can be set free and not get confused and you will have much better imaging and a much better soundstage.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hi Rao,

That's one option many will say, however given the resulting gaps are so small, not 'much' bass will actually come flowing 'through'.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
SUBWOOFER WARS !!!!!!! :rofl:

I guess I will have to start driving while sitting in the trunk.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
SUBWOOFER WARS !!!!!!! :rofl:

I guess I will have to start driving while sitting in the trunk.

What! :eek:h: you mean that you don't already? :dunno:

I knew that there had to be one thing that you were doing wrong. :hihi:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't get you guys those subwoofers are weighing you down. Besides the M-Audio subs are perfectly fine too.

Also how are you gonna fit 3 sets of golf clubs in the trunk now?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
What! :eek:h: you mean that you don't already? :dunno:

I knew that there had to be one thing that you were doing wrong. :hihi:
I was hoping that there was one thing that I was doing right :eek:

hiha

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I was hoping that there was one thing that I was doing right :eek:

hiha

Clemster can probably bring the trunk steering retro-fit parts to Timmayfest, and we can install it in IPS' parking lot. Then your journey to the dark side will be complete. :hihi:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Rao,

That's one option many will say, however given the resulting gaps are so small, not 'much' bass will actually come flowing 'through'.

Cheers, Dennis!

I have to say there is tons of bass coming through to the cabin of my BMW through the Deck vents. It is actually more than I could have imagined and I gain all my useable trunk space back. I do believe the quality of the sub makes a huge difference with outcome. I really was not interested in carrying around a speaker box that takes up to 1/3 of my trunk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts