BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Douglas 49-675 battery was listed as a direct replacement for the
$300 dealer battery. Douglas now no longer makes batteries. I checked Sears and they dont have a battery that fits. Does anyone in Norther California have a replacement source? Thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
512 Posts
I just got one from the stealership.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think Interstate makes one, but not sure. There was another posting not too long ago that mentioned the maker of the OEM battery and the cost difference from buying the non-BMW branded version. Might try searching for that...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got my last battery for the M5 at BatteriesPlus for much cheaper than the dealership. Check them out at: http://www.batteriesplus.com

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just bought an Odyssey battery from Summit model PC1700 $280 shipped. Expensive but should be a superior battery. It also fits in the stock location.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
s62fan said:
Has anyone tried one of the Optima drycell batteries? here's the link...
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
I have an Orange-Top Optima battery in the E36 M3. It was a perfect drop-in fit and is an amazinly good product and IMO very fairly priced. Unfortunately, I recently replaced my OE battery with another (OE) one because Optima told me that they didn't have a battery suitable for our E39 M5 application. I didn't know about Odyssey...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I know the E-38 guys use one from Autozone, which only costs around $70-80. I think the Duralast 49D or 49DL should work. Sure is a lot cheaper than a Douglas!

Eric

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
bob barringer said:
Douglas 49-675 battery was listed as a direct replacement for the
$300 dealer battery. Douglas now no longer makes batteries. I checked Sears and they dont have a battery that fits. Does anyone in Norther California have a replacement source? Thanks. :confused:
In Southern CA, I got one through Evosport in Huntington Beach for $199. I believe they said it was the BMW battery, and that it is a HUGE battery.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
BKH said:
I have an Orange-Top Optima battery in the E36 M3. It was a perfect drop-in fit and is an amazinly good product and IMO very fairly priced. Unfortunately, I recently replaced my OE battery with another (OE) one because Optima told me that they didn't have a battery suitable for our E39 M5 application. I didn't know about Odyssey...
That's good to know, I was bummed that I didn't get an Optima, they replaced it before I could suggest. But, knowing that an Optima was never an option, makes me feel better.

I had a yellow top optima, in my supercharged Tahoe, and I thought it was a nice battery too. I ran a fridge/freezer, and some other accessories and never had a problem with charging or capacity.

My M5 is all stock, so I should be fine.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Odyssey battery is extremely popular replacement on E46's. It's cheaper and better then stock, and lighter (if you go with the smaller of the 2 options), which is one of the reason it's chosen. I'm sure there is an odyssey that fits that is still substantially cheaper then stock.

·
10,456 Posts
i looked into the optima before too. I think i posted about it here, but essentially, there is no optima that is a direct fit to our cars. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work, but you'd need to do a little adjusting to the battery box. The optima is smaller, so a small piece of 2x4 would probably work to make sure it doesn't move around in the box. Power-wise, it should be fine. I looked up the specs on their site a year or so ago. The optima was nearly half the weight too, iirc.
Mike

·
Registered
947 Posts
Well, the battery finally gave up today, while at breakfast. So, with little time on my hands, I ended up calling a few dealers in the Bay Area, CA:

Weatherford: $239
Concord: $249
East Bay: $259

all before CCA discount. I went with Weatherford which gave me a 20% discount on the battery (both Concord and East Bay only offered 10% discount on the battery). So, out the door with tax it was $208. I could have gone down to Scott's Valley to get one at Batteries Plus for $149 but that is 60+ miles away, each way. Not worth the effort given family obligations. I did not save any dollars today but at least I know this battery will fit and work well.

The install was easy and all electrical systems (NAV, CD, Sirius, Radio) seem to be functioning without issue.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Anyone have an Interstate battery? I just looked it up. Interstate MTP-93. $134.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Falb said:
Just bought an Odyssey battery from Summit model PC1700 $280 shipped. Expensive but should be a superior battery. It also fits in the stock location.
Is it lighter than the OEM battery? I've run Odysseys before in my M3 and loved them, but I always bought one of the tiny 15 lb ones. PC960 or something.

·
Registered
193 Posts
bgregg said:
I got my last battery for the M5 at BatteriesPlus for much cheaper than the dealership. Check them out at: http://www.batteriesplus.com
Thanks for the tip. Batteries Plus Scotts Valley installed mine for $161. Same as OEM (Douglas) and fits perfectly. Went to the Santa Cruz boardwalk after and got an hour of nice sun on the beach, which is remarkable given the rain last night.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts