Registered
5,170 Posts
Oh no....

all the best
adam

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
It was going to happen. BMW can't ignore big sectors of the market. I don't think it's all bad though. Look what they did to the X5 a great SUV so perhaps they can work their magic and redefine the MPV.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah you should look at the new markets and needs of customers but should you seriously risk brand image in doing so?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Andm99 said:
Yeah you should look at the new markets and needs of customers but should you seriously risk brand image in doing so?
If there is a market then BMW has to be there. It's a mass producer and it needs to sell units. An MPV isn't something you would associate with BMW but neither is a 4x4 with Porsche.

Most companies are now run by bean counters. So if people want to buy a luxury MPV the bean counters at BMW would prefer it if had their badge on it rather than a competitor's.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
IMHO this is a very good idea. The trick for BMW is to make it drive like a BMW. Who would have imagined a SUV could drive like a Bimmer- yet they pulled it off with the X5 and now X3. I think they will enjoy much success and I hope they bring a variant or two to the States as I would love to have a vehicle with BMW dynamics and safety + the family hauling ability of a minivan. :cheers:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look at these pictures:

"RFK1" - launch in 2007/08 (7 seats)

"RFK2" - launch in 2007/08 (5 seats)

There's even talk of a long wheelbase X5 variant (called X7??).

FYI, Brabus do a manic people carrier called the Brabus Viano V8:

http://www.brabus.de/news/news39e.htm

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
From what I read, they will not make a vehicle called the X7, but it will be a LWB X5 with the extra space for an additional row of seats or (hopefully) more storage space. I have read that they will call the new vehicles the "V" series, so you could have a V5 or a V3...

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
OMG! Its finally true!!! I've heard about it a while ago! Noooooooooooooooo Oh wells.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's a shame that they're choosing to do this, but it was bound to happen. BMW is a company and needs to make profits wherever it exists. At least BMW does hold true to its roots and doesn't make an M version of every vehicle, but only the ones that would exemplify BMW's philosophy.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Or is it this? BMW V5

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Dan,
The spy pictures Ive seen in Autoweek show the new X5 looking similar but still noticably larger. Common sense says it has to grow since the X3 has very similar interior dimensions to the current X5. I believe the comments BMW has released to the press on the X3 say when the new X5 comes out we will see how the X3 fits in the lineup better.

As to the thread itself, yes, strictly speaking it is off topic- this is the E60 M5 forum- but most posts about upcoming BMW things tend to end up here. Maybe we should have a future BMW forum or something. The post about bluetooth in someone's 525 would also be off topic. I think this is about as much the same as these new BMWs are likely to be based on the E60 in some fashion.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I guess most dont know that it was BMW that first introduced a crossover concept vehicle called X-coupe, I think in 2001, the Z4 had many of its designs taken from this vehicle... now pratically everyother car co. has come out with a crossover for sale, since that concept except BMW for whatever reason... i have a beautiful pix from the NY Intl Autoshow when it was debuted... and it was beautifully designed, imho

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I dont think its like Nokia at all. Nokia ignored the market's demand for a flip phone and now are having troubles. They do make great phones (and snow tires too!) so I think they will be AOK.

I remember the X-Coupe:

http://www.pistonheads.com/fastcars/bmw/x-coupe.htm

Was this really one of the first "crossover" vehicles?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Jerry, I agree that it makes sense that the X5 would grow to be much larger than it currently is. I have just read that it is not as big as it really needs to be to fully seperate itself from the X3 in terms of usable space inside. Of course, time will tell.

I have liked the x3 since I first saw one in person, and would take it hands down over the X5 (with the exception of the 4.8).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts