BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this was already posted on here or not but I just read in the May 2005 issue of Car & Driver:

"Manual M5: When we drove the BMW M5 last year, BMW insisted its sequential-manual seven-speed would be the only transmission offered in the 500-hp '06 M5. But in 2007 we will also get a six-speed manual complete with clutch pedal for enthusiasts who like to row their own. The new tranny comes primarily as a result of press from US loyalist and BMW's North American sales arm that forced the Munich-based carmaker to offer a traditional six-speed manual. The U.S. will be the only market to receive the three-pedal M5 because, as BMW puts it, the rest of the world, where Formula 1 is king, views the sequential manual as the most sporting and advanced option. In our Nextel Cup-loving land, we still prefer the simplicity of human involvement in our fast cars."

Interesting. Now that we have both options available, I find myself with mixed feelings on this. I'm not sure if I want to go with this one or stick with the 7 speed SMG3. :rolleyes: What do you guys think?

I also was surprised to see how powerful our "voices" really are! I guess it really DOES pay to speak up! Kudos to BMW for listening to us rabid "M" fans!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
SMG III, no doubt. :)

·
10,455 Posts
i'd lean toward smg as well. I'd think there might be a little performance hit with the 6 speed. besides, with smg, my wife could drive it too... ouich

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean you would let her drive it? :eek: Just kidding....:hihi:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
I am leaning heavily in favor of SMG, but would value the views of those who will experience the SMG before I have the opportunity to make my choice. So, Klas, Cidair, Ekan, we are waiting your reviews with great anticipation.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Definately a six speed. I still enjoy my driver involvement. Plus, as amazing as the m5 performs, it's going to be a daily driver as well as a toy. I enjoy shifting my own gears. If the car was going to be strictly for track use, I may get the SMG III but for right now...I'm getting the SIX SPEED MANUAL WITHOUT A DOUBT!!! Plus, I'd like to keep the interest there as manuals seem to be getting phased out by "F1" style transmissions. I know I always to have the option to get a manual. One of the main reasons I love BMW is because almost all platforms are available as manuals as well. I really hope sales figures in the US are enough to prove to BMW not to abandon these great transmissions.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
atomic80 said:
You mean you would let her drive it? :eek: Just kidding....:hihi:
Thats what the P400 mode is for :biggrin:

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MortenDK said:
Thats what the P400 mode is for :biggrin:
Oh yes....that's right....but we'd have to lock it out! I remember the old C4 ZR-1 had a key-lockable switch for that purpose.

·
Registered
64 Posts
have to go with the six speed.

One of the main things that always made the m5 attractive was the opportunity to shift my own gears. I dont always drive at 90-100% so this way I'm still involved even when I'm just 'cruising' around town.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
atomic80 said:
Oh yes....that's right....but we'd have to lock it out! I remember the old C4 ZR-1 had a key-lockable switch for that purpose.
For the life of me, I can't figure out why BMW doesn't use this, especially on the M cars. The ZR-1 system limited the car to something like 250 HP they said, but from experience, it feels like half of that.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
CDV would only make the problem that much worse.

Honestly, its not THAT much torque, putting together a clutch with good feel and modulation to handle the power is not THAT difficult. More costly? Sure.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
CDV is meant to protect the transmission from being jolted. It actually makes clutch issues worse by delaying/slowing grab and thus increasing slip. CDVs are evil and should especially never exist in any M car.

Tom

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
6-speed for me. i might take initial smg delivery, but will switch to 6-speed as soon as it is available most likely.

as i said before- for me the essence of the m5 is in the pleasure of driving and rowing my own gears is a big part of it. smg might be better on a technical course, but then again- i will not show up there in a big 4000 pound sedan- guaranteed so this is a moot point.

alex
few cars

1 - 19 of 19 Posts