BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been challenged by a colleague who has a Motor Cycle as above the BMW GS1150, knowing him it will be an old model and will not be looked after, so do I have any chance of beating him in my 2000 M5 from 0-60mph? If there is a slim chance that I could beat him I would go for it but I need to spend some serious wad for the new MAF's before I go for it, I would love to beat him - it would be worth it.
WillM5AD

·
Registered
962 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stumbo said:
A 2000-2001 BMW R1100GS (nearest I could find) is 209kg (460lb) and 80bhp.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=motorcyclenews.bikes.model&product=MCN&workflowStatus=ACTIVE&fixture=BIKE_MODEL&action=search&make=BMW&model=R1100GS&resource=707807&fixture_bike_model=707807&resourceId=707807

= 382bhp / metric tonne. (someone better check my calculation).

An older GS1150 is not going to be a million miles from that.
According to the web the 0-60 time for the bike is between 5.3 and 5.6 seconds presumably with a very able rider, so maybe I would have a chance?
Will M5AD:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
willm5ad said:
According to the web the 0-60 time for the bike is between 5.3 and 5.6 seconds presumably with a very able rider, so maybe I would have a chance?
Will M5AD:M5launch:
According to my calculations at kerb weight of 1825kg divided by 400hp = 0.22bhp per kg
The bike @ 206kg and 80bhp = 2.58bhp per kilo so with this calculation no chance, but too many unknowns to be calculated to make this calculation worthwhile surely? Such as those big knobly tyres actually taking grip verses my mich p2's dsc on or off I will do some timed test runs before I accept his challenge.

·
Registered
97 Posts
willm5ad said:
According to my calculations at kerb weight of 1825kg divided by 400hp = 0.22bhp per kg
The bike @ 206kg and 80bhp = 2.58bhp per kilo so with this calculation no chance, but too many unknowns to be calculated to make this calculation worthwhile surely? Such as those big knobly tyres actually taking grip verses my mich p2's dsc on or off I will do some timed test runs before I accept his challenge.
206kg and 80bhp= .39 bhp per kilo

you also need to add the rider(lets say 84kg)

300kg and 80bhp= .267

not too far off..

rider ability and m5 traction will decide this one.:M5launch:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Don't do it!

Mvious

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
If you want to do it, do it.

Get off the board, stop with the calculations and drive :M5launch:

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Just do it and post the results. maybe record it :)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
genius said:
206kg and 80bhp= .39 bhp per kilo

you also need to add the rider(lets say 84kg)

300kg and 80bhp= .267

not too far off..

rider ability and m5 traction will decide this one.:M5launch:
M5 Traction? No way I think I will be quicker with the DSC switched off and the Sports button on, any other experience with this?

WillM5AD

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
M5 Traction? No way I think I will be quicker with the DSC switched off and the Sports button on, any other experience with this?
It amazes me that M5 owners haved to ask these kind of questions. Go on, find an open parking lot at night and tinker with your car, trying different techniques of launching and see what you like the best! The best way to learn things is to experience them first hand.

Have fun,

Travis

·
Registered
842 Posts
When someone challenges you to a street race they usually expect to win. Assume that the bike is modified and that your friend has practiced his launch, just as you should until you have it down perfectly.

In order to crack 5 seconds to 60mph in your M5 your car must be in top running condition and you will have to launch perfectly and shift without flaw. It will help you to read some of the threads about drag racing as some of our members are very good at the strip and have taken their stock E39 M5's to under 13 second in the 14 mile - which is very fast for a 4,000lb car with less than 400hp.

Be sure to choose the place and time of the race and empty your car of as much weight as possible and have only as much fuel as you will need and no more. Make sure the road surface is good and the rules are fair and no matter what don't give away the hole shot (don't let him get off the line first) or you will lose.

Good luck and let us know how you do. :M5launch:

Derek

·
Registered
842 Posts
willm5ad said:

WillM5AD
Yes Will, you will be quicker with the DSC turned off and the sport button turned on but be sure to practice, practice, practice (and read my post above).

Derek

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Nobody take this teh wrong way...But why is it so many people get challenged then come here and ask? I think of it like running home to mommy and asking if it's ok.

Why did you buy the car?....Just put it out there run what ever have a good time. IF you want. Forget about loosing that just means you will.

I have come apon many different things, from Ferrari 360's, to CBR's to camry's, that want to race and all in between. Ive done those I want to...Not come back here and think about it.

Be like NIKE and just do it. :) hiha :cheers:

·
Registered
439 Posts
i think it might some self esteem issue ..
but if you decide to race make sure you guys are really far apart on launch to insure (or help insure) that no one gets sideways coming out and hitting each other. you dont know how good a rider your buddy is and chances are he doesnt track the bike.
safety first when breaking the law.

Jayson said:
Nobody take this teh wrong way...But why is it so many people get challenged then come here and ask? I think of it like running home to mommy and asking if it's ok.

Why did you buy the car?....Just put it out there run what ever have a good time. IF you want. Forget about loosing that just means you will.

I have come apon many different things, from Ferrari 360's, to CBR's to camry's, that want to race and all in between. Ive done those I want to...Not come back here and think about it.

Be like NIKE and just do it. :) hiha :cheers:
:haha: :haha:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ray540inyc said:
i think it might some self esteem issue ..
but if you decide to race make sure you guys are really far apart on launch to insure (or help insure) that no one gets sideways coming out and hitting each other. you dont know how good a rider your buddy is and chances are he doesnt track the bike.
safety first when breaking the law.

:haha: :haha:
Wont be no law breaking, have open roads all over the place in he desert so we will be well out of anybody elses way, I will stay in the left lane he can stay in the right lane and leave the middle lane open, I will get a mate to video the results we have agreed on three runs and the best 2 to count obviously so just remains for me to get my car in for the new MAF's and full service then off we go, in the middle of the desert hurting nobody but our own ego, should be fun, although I am nervous, after all it is a bike, but the fact that I am even considering it shows the confidence in my car does it not? I have beaten bikes in the past at top end cos they dont have the balls to hold on much over 150mph, but acceleration from standing start is a different ball game. This will be England v S Africa as my mate is an afrikaan.
No mods on my car or his bike presumably.
WILLM5AD

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
willm5ad said:
Wont be no law breaking, have open roads all over the place in he desert so we will be well out of anybody elses way, I will stay in the left lane he can stay in the right lane and leave the middle lane open, I will get a mate to video the results we have agreed on three runs and the best 2 to count obviously so just remains for me to get my car in for the new MAF's and full service then off we go, in the middle of the desert hurting nobody but our own ego, should be fun, although I am nervous, after all it is a bike, but the fact that I am even considering it shows the confidence in my car does it not? I have beaten bikes in the past at top end cos they dont have the balls to hold on much over 150mph, but acceleration from standing start is a different ball game. This will be England v S Africa as my mate is an afrikaan.
No mods on my car or his bike presumably.
WILLM5AD

Ive gone up againist bikes on many ocations...CBR's, Yamahas, Harleys, Bruell.

Do it you will be surprised.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts