BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rid of some of the crap in my desk and found a CCA flyer IVe had for almost 2 years now, and wondered if any of you are part of it and how you feel about it...Is it worth it or not? What have done driving wise etc.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jayson said:
I got rid of some of the crap in my desk and found a CCA flyer IVe had for almost 2 years now, and wondered if any of you are part of it and how you feel about it...Is it worth it or not? What have done driving wise etc.
Here's how I see it. I've been a member for 5+ years:
- $ 175 Dues (5 x $35)
+ $ 500 Rebate on purchase of '02 330Ci
+ $1000 Rebate on purchase of '03 M5
+ $ 150 Approx. discount savings on parts and accessories

So, over the last 5 plus years, I figure I'm "up" in the neighborhood of $1500! I think it's worth it not even considering the magazine (Roundel), which I like for it's tech articles, tips, classified ads, and other things. I haven't been to any BMW CCA sponsored driving events but have been to a few gatherings (not any actual meetings, though).

I definitely think it's worth it. Just my $.02...

Greg
BMW CCA #168184
2003 ///M5 Jet Black/Black, Sport
Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets, Bluetooth, Aux Audio Input & all "plus" options except PDC

1995 318is Boston Green/Tan (daughter's trainer...)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Jayson said:
I have been a member for ~4 years and would join again in a heartbeat. The Windy City(Chicago) and Badger Bimmer(Madison, WI) chapters are pretty active. I do about 4-5 high speed D/Es per year with them at Road America and Blackhawk farms (as well as a couple more with other groups). I have done 3 autocross events with Windy City also but that's not really what I am into. Their events are usually very well run but fairly strict and inflexible in the rules (Moreso Chicago than Badger Bimmers), additionally the quality of instruction has been excellent. The national magazine "Roundel" is worth the price of the membership alone; its probably one of the best single-marque enthusiast magazines out there (way better than the PCA magazine). I also get a discount on parts from my local BMW dealers, it seems to be fairly arbitrary in amount and you have to ask for it though. I haven't regreted it.

Regards

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Jayson said:
Money well spent. The montly mag, Roundel, is almost worth the money by itself. Add discounts for members on parts, rebates on new cars, and the abilty to attend Drivers Education at various tracks around the country, and I would say it is about the best bang for the buck for a BMW car junkie!!
Regards,
Jerry
BMW CCA #XXX66 (since 1983)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I agree with everyone above. I would do it just for Roundel. Its one of the very best auto magazines for someone who is into BMW. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been a member for several years now. Every year I save more on parts (10 to 15% off on average) for my BMWs than the dues. And like the others have said, Roundel is pretty good reading. Unlike PCAs Panorama which rarely if ever prints a negative thing about Porsche, Roundel prints multiple letters each month skewering BMWs designs, prices, marketing, dealers, etc. In fact the letters may be the best part of Roundel. I also like looking at the largely overpriced cars in the ads in the back (I'm sure I'll catch some flak for that one!)

Peter M

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
jhowton said:
Their events are usually very well run but fairly strict and inflexible in the rules (Moreso Chicago than Badger Bimmers), additionally the quality of instruction has been excellent.
I guess you could say this is my biggest beef with CCA, no convertibles allowed on any of their events. On one hand, I can understand that, given some of the more advanced DEs, but I have yet to see them let anyone bring a convertible to driving event on a track, even the beginner stuff. A bummer for those that only have a convertible. A friend of mine with a M3 is in this very situation. For me, it sucks, because I have other cars I would like to take on the track instead of the BMWs at times. But their instructors are generally excellent.

And then there are some of the get togethers, like the upcoming trip to the M driving school that the DC chapter is going on in May (man, I wish I could make it).

The mag is generally pretty good, although they are a bit error prone at times.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I've been a member for 24 years now, and I can't even imagine how much money I've saved by being able to buy parts at 20-40% off list. Even my local dealer offers 15% off parts and labor for CCA members. When I bought a new 2002 540i/6, it was nice to get a check for $1000 too. The CCA driving schools are the best run club schools in the country imo.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
vndkshn said:
I guess you could say this is my biggest beef with CCA, no convertibles allowed on any of their events. On one hand, I can understand that, given some of the more advanced DEs, but I have yet to see them let anyone bring a convertible to driving event on a track, even the beginner stuff. A bummer for those that only have a convertible. A friend of mine with a M3 is in this very situation. For me, it sucks, because I have other cars I would like to take on the track instead of the BMWs at times. But their instructors are generally excellent.
That may be a chapter by chapter decision. I don't remember any convertible ban in my chapter, but I can check if it makes a difference. I know instructors can run anything and I believe my chapter allows any car for students also, although they obviously prefer BMW's.
Regards,
Jerry

·
10,455 Posts
vndkshn said:
As an instructor with the pacific region of the bmwcca, i'm happy to follow that rule... I wouldn't want to be a passenger in a car without a roof, i've seen rollovers at cca driving schools, and the roofs are very handy indeed!
Of course, if you have a scca approved roll cage, you can bring your convertible (i still would rather have a roof though).

Back to the original question, i've been a cca member for just over 10 yrs. I think roundel is worth $35/ year, but i really did it originally to be able to go to the track. I've gotten 4 member loyalty rebates too, so i'd say it's worth it.
Mike

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Great club!

As stated above, the Roundel is a great magazine. Then the parts discount and the car discounts...

I have received checks for $2000 so far on my BMW purchases, and that includes $500 on my CPO M5!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
mottati said:
As an instructor with the pacific region of the bmwcca, i'm happy to follow that rule... I wouldn't want to be a passenger in a car without a roof, i've seen rollovers at cca driving schools, and the roofs are very handy indeed!
Of course, if you have a scca approved roll cage, you can bring your convertible (i still would rather have a roof though).
I believe the chapter I am in doesn't even allow them with roll cages.

I can understand not allowing them in the more advanced classes, but some of the rookie stuff too? Like the course I think they call the defensive driving course? BMW will let you take your convertible M3 on the DE... why won't CCA allow you to take it on some of the driving courses?

The only times I have seen a car rollover at one of the educational events was when someone was showing off how fast he could run the lap (not sure why they were alone, could have been an instructor), and when an instructor didn't tell the student to back off a little bit. Both times, the cars entered turns way too hot and flipped after hitting the apron. I have had instructors riding with me tell me to back it down to prevent this.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Well worth it. I enjoy the Roundel magazine, discounts on parts and accessories from dealers, rebates on BMWs, and chapter events - that I'm just now starting to get involved with, after being a CCA member for many years.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Definetly Worth it.

3 years about
- $110 in membership fees
+ $50 in Discount MINI OEM alarm
+ $1000 in Rebate on 2005 E60
+ $40 to 50 in discount on Accessories

I say its worth it too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
gdoan said:
Here's how I see it. I've been a member for 5+ years:
- $ 175 Dues (5 x $35)
+ $ 500 Rebate on purchase of '02 330Ci
+ $1000 Rebate on purchase of '03 M5
+ $ 150 Approx. discount savings on parts and accessories
Can someone explain how the rebates work? Sounds like you can get them on CPO and new cars? Who pays it to you and how do you go about getting it?

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mark540iMSport said:
Can someone explain how the rebates work? Sounds like you can get them on CPO and new cars? Who pays it to you and how do you go about getting it?

Much appreciated.
The rebates are advertised in Roundel in addition to on the BMWCCA web site, as EBMCS03 mentioned. They change, at least yearly and maybe more often than that, so be sure to check and see what's current.

I believe you have to be a member for at least a year before you can take advantage of the rebates so, sign up now. Like others have said, even if you only looked at the $35/year as a subscription for Roundel, it would be worth it. All the other stuff is icing on the cake!

Greg
2003 ///M5 Jet Black/Black, Sport
Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets, Bluetooth, Aux Audio Input & all "plus" options except PDC

1 - 20 of 32 Posts