BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is truley amazing with what BMW can get away with these days. I attached two responses I recieved from them with regards to the purchase of my 2000 last September. I am shocked in how they blow you off in such a courteous manner.

Lyle

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
lylerichards said:
It is truley amazing with what BMW can get away with these days. I attached two responses I recieved from them with regards to the purchase of my 2000 last September. I am shocked in how they blow you off in such a courteous manner.

Lyle
Sorry to hear that you can't get this resolved. It's amazing that they just leave you to rot only a few months after purchase of a CPO vehicle. At least you got a response which is not always the case in the states.

I have to say that I am a bit surprised at the covereage of CPO being that much different than the extended warranty. Always had the impression that they'd cover just as much.

Regards

·
Registered
101 Posts
lylerichardsI am really sorry to hear about the challenges you are having with BMW CPO... I did some research before purchasing my beast and found that the CPO warranty in Canada did not cover a number of items... including valve cover leaks and the very broad "DME Sensors". DME Sensors includes common issues such as o2 sensors, MAFS, and cam position sensors!

Did your dealer at least offer some Goodwill funds?

·
Registered
837 Posts
You would think that the dealership would at least work with you to fix this, how much does it cost, seems like a dumb way to piss off customers and lose future business, hope you get things worked out, Josh

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Been there, done that
I had a case opened with BMW when I first bought my 'CPO' car. The rear drum brakes were delaminted (no pad left whatsoever) which led to rotor damage. The dealer I purchased it from wouldn't take the hit. My local dealer wouldn't take the hit. BMW wouldn't pony up. Cost me $900. They claimed since I had driven it back (1,100 miles) that it could have happened then. Yeh, like I drove with the emergency brake on for 1,100 miles. BS!

·
Registered
283 Posts
lylerichards, real sorry to hear about your troubles with your car and the dealer.
So, how much $$$ are you asked to fork out for the repairs? (if you dont mind me asking)
Remind me to never deal with the 'BMW Store' in the future!... Although, im not suprised the dealer isnt doing anything further, since [i think] that is a BMW corporate dealership... so there is no incentive for them to keep the business there. Where does it all stand now?

good luck!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I guess I am not surprised they aren't covering it- what is shocking is the infuriating language of the letter. It's like an english major told them to use 'positive, effusive' phrases in their correspondence- but forgot to tell them not to use that when they are saying NO.

"We are confident the above information clarifies why we are unable..." Moronic.

CPO inspection = worthless

Take it to an independent- ask them to find every little cpo claim you can- never take it back to the stealer unless unavoidable or free...

Good luck

·
Registered
283 Posts
Richards,

While I feel sympathetic that you bought a used car that started failing after just 8k kms, I don't see what the BMW Store has done wrong. Your parts are not covered under warranty; it's stated explicitly on numerous documentation. It was your responsibility to find out what is and isn't covered before you signed the cheque for the CPO vehicle (keyword: preowned).

If they told you pre-purchase that this sort of thing would be covered and hence deceived you, that would be a different story altogether. As it is, they've done nothing misleading.

Still, considering that it was only 8k kms, they could be doing something out of goodwill. Maybe share the cost with you, although they really aren't obligated to. Unless you were a loyal customer who has purchased many cars from the BMW Store, they have little reason to go the extra mile out of their pocket. It sucks for you, but really, BMW Canada and the dealer haven't done anything conspicuously bad. Other dealers and manufacturers would have offered the same thing in this situation.

Also, you didn't give details of any prior communications. How did you react to this? Were you indignant? Let's see your original letters and dealings with the dealership.

And as for ard, I don't see anything that BMW has written that isn't also true for 99% of business letters, in any industry. Euphemistic language is part of life. Nothing stands out here.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That's a tough call. I can see Lyle's side. I'd probably feel the same way about the leak and would be upset that it happened so soon, especially to a CPO'd car. I can also see where The BMW Store is coming from re. what is covered and what is not, and what their obligation is to Lyle (multiply that by xxx to cover the other just-out-of-warranty cases, yearly).

From personal experience though, I can say this with 100% certainty and conviction - I can live to be a hundred and I will never have a better ownership experience than what I've had with The BMW Store. While my car has not been perfect my relationship with them has been.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Lyle,

I found out that the tech that CPO's the car only is allocated 1.2 hours to do the entire check. It would be very hard to do a complete check of everythiog on the CPO checklist in that amount of time. I think that the dealer hopes that the car is OK based on the service records rather than the actual condition and that BMWNA or the new owner will be the one covering the costs of repairs that the tech did not catch (clutch, e-brakes, bad bearings, etc).

John

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree about the CPO check. Mine is CPO'd and had several problems when I purchased it at 8900 mi. The sales rep emphasized the new set of rear tires that had been replaced under the CPO certification. They missed loose weather stripping on the passenger rear window, a broken spring on the gas cap cover door, and the loose e-brake. And of course, the paint peeling off the back wheels.

Anyone considering purchasing a CPO, check it over very carefully before you sign!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree about the CPO check. Mine is CPO'd and had several problems when I purchased it at 8900 mi. The sales rep emphasized the new set of rear tires that had been replaced under the CPO certification. They missed loose weather stripping on the passenger rear window, a broken spring on the gas cap cover door, and the loose e-brake. And of course, the paint peeling off the back wheels.

Anyone considering purchasing a CPO, check it over very carefully before you sign!

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
kiwi M & M said:
I have to say that I am a bit surprised at the covereage of CPO being that much different than the extended warranty.
I think that is the common perception for sure; however, the CPO warranty is NOTHING like the original factory warranty unfortunately. I do recall others being denied valve cover gasket leaks since that is not a covered item.

I agree with other's statements about the "CPO" deal with BMW...it really depends on the dealer. I had a recent experience with a BMW dealer in Chapel Hill when I was hunting for the 4th car. The "CPO" 3-series I was interested in had a number of issues once I inspected it. The rear tires were below the CPO min tread depth of 7/32", the fuel filler door latch was broken (very obvious ouich ), and a few other items; however, the main problem I found once I got it in my garage and "quik detailed" the roof/hood was that it had hail damage in the clearcoat in addition to 6-7 hail dents. Upon returning the car to the dealer, their response was "take it or leave it, we already have another buyer for the car". At that, I stood up and left right away never to go back to that dealership again. Sophomoric sales tactics like that should be reserved for the distant past.

Interestingly, I found the car I was looking for (330i ZHP, Performance Package, 6-speed, Imola Red) at a Toyota Dealership in Clarksville, MD two weeks ago where it was just traded in. They allowed me to inspect the car on their lift, drive it as long as I wanted, etc.. The car was in excellent condition (even had CPO already from the prior owner), so I bought it after talking with the prior owner. I was very impressed with this Toyota dealership.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Opposite Lock,

I have purchased cars from the BMW store before as well as refered a great number of people there. The service reps are great and always went that extra mile for me, so I am not just walking off the street. I can complain and moan about different problems with the car, but I don't. I am just pleased that I am able to own an M5 and treat my experiences as normal everyday occurences. What infuriates me is the fact that when I purchased that car they said they would get the full CPO inspection to me and the car was top notch. Low and behold I have still not recieved the report and my car has been in for over $1500 worth of repairs not covered on the CPO and not including general maintenance. I don't care who you are or what you are selling, there is still something these days called customer service.
Late in the day on Friday I was contacted by BMW Canada (Vancouver) and they are willing to refund me 75% for my inconvienice and The BMW Stores lack of service. I am happy for the fact that BMW Canada recognized this lack of service and is willing to take some responsibility.

Lyle

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Was this before or after you posted this? Happy ending it seems like.

lylerichards said:
Opposite Lock,

Late in the day on Friday I was contacted by BMW Canada (Vancouver) and they are willing to refund me 75% for my inconvienice and The BMW Stores lack of service. I am happy for the fact that BMW Canada recognized this lack of service and is willing to take some responsibility.

Lyle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts