BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard from my retailer today that BMW Canada Inc. is insisting on a $20,000 deposit to guarantee a spot in the first few months of production. I have a spot in September production (the very first month of Canadian production) and I'm being asked to ante up. My retailer is trying to negotiate something lower for repeat customers (like $5,000) with BMW Canada Inc. This is in addition to having to sign a bill of sale and a non-export agreement. Has anyone else in Canada been presented with the same request?:sad1:

Best regards,

·
Registered
703 Posts
totally ridiculous!! I have plenty of things to do with my $20k for 6 months (that is if the car is not delayed again), I'd like to get this car but not that much.

At delivery I don't mind spending but not when waiting, my .02

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a $5k deposit with BMW Canada for September build and have not been contacted (yet) about upping the ante.

·
Registered
45 Posts
red said:
I have a $5k deposit with BMW Canada for September build and have not been contacted (yet) about upping the ante.
Oops, meant BMW Toronto!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
We were told that a 1K deposit would be enough to be on the list for the second batch of cars that would arrive starting in March.

We were also told that they would put us in the first batch if we really wanted to and that would need a bigger deposit...but a 20K deposit? that's unreal and unheard of coming from BMW Canada.

I know that Ferrari requires 5K for the F430 and then a non-refundable extra 25K once your car is specified and the order is processed through!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Spiroman,

I just spoke to my dealer and he knows nothing of the ludicrous deposit suggested or the signed bill of sale prior to pricing or options availability. If $20K is what is required to get you one of the first cars, I will just wait as the car will just sit over the winter anyway.

To date, I have yet to be asked for any further committment and I would be very surprised to if my dealer actually did.

Let us know how things progress.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I agree.... I'd tell them where to shove the $20k, which hand to do it with, how much force to apply, and how deep to push... that is BS. So are the dealer markups...

·
Registered
714 Posts
if they have the list of options and their prices then i think the buyers will be more interested in putting in their $20k.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
vndkshn said:
I agree.... I'd tell them where to shove the $20k, which hand to do it with, how much force to apply, and how deep to push... that is BS. So are the dealer markups...
hihahihahiha

Now tell us how you really feel Dan. :thumbsup:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
I can see requiring partial payment when the car actually is ordered to the customer's specifications, including color, options, etc. But to demand $20,000 to, in effect, continue holding a place in a line that no one with authority has said will move at any specific time is unacceptable.

·
Registered
714 Posts
on the other hand, i think it is good policy to put a firm deposit (10% of the value of the car) when you actually order *your* car to your specs. this will short list the tire kickers or people who are just standing in line for whatever reasons.

they don't have the list of standard items and options and pricing yet, so i think it is too early to ask for more dough.

·
Registered
955 Posts
i just phone my dealer (Parkview BMW). and they are unaware of the policy either.

on a side note, the allocation for M5 for the 2006MY seems to be comfirmed. Parkview BMW will be getting 11 cars, and they claimed they'll be getting 5 (!!) for the first month.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I would draw the line at 10% WHEN the official order is placed. The only way I could see putting down $20k is if the buyer is doing ALOT of Individual options, or some wackiness. We all know that most cars will be spec'ed well equipped, and BMW of Canada knows that if the original buyer backs out for some reason, that the car will sell the same day to someone else. The only possible exception to this would be a car that has been Individualized. At one point, my dealer told me that I might have to pay up front for any Individual options, because if I backed out, they likely couldn't get the full price of the Individual options.. plus I might pick some strange color like pink which would impact resell. That stance is fair... But demanding $20k for "standard" M5s?? See my post above for what my response to that would be...

·
Registered
26 Posts
i never heard anything like that. u sure u order the M5? maybe ur dealer got mixed up and thinking u ordered the F430 or the coming gallardo roadster. hmmm

i was just at the dealership late yesterday and no one mentioned anything like that to me. or maybe my dealership just suck up the cost? imagine how many people will want to get their deposit back when they hear this.

on a side note, my friend just traded his F430 for a gallardo few days ago (dont ask why he do that, it was a slip of mind). And i had the gallardo for most part of yesterday to feel what a high performance V10 feels like. My conclusion is, if the M5 is really as fast as in the video against the gallardo, I need the M5/6 NOW!! The power is so addicting on both cars. The F430 has probably the sweetest engine sound whenever i try to step on the pedal a litl harder. The gallardo is so easy to drive and you have to look at the speedo to know how fast you are going. most of the time, u just hear that very low mumbling from the engine. also, driving the beast in the rain isnt a big problem neither. The E-Gear feels smoother than my M3 SMG, so i assume the M5 should be at least as good. My only complains are

1. my back hurts like hell after driving in the rock hard seat(even worse than the F430). i have to sit almost perfectly straight so it will hurt a litl less.

2. amount of attention is actually quite annoying after the first 10mins. some drivers were honking me and giving me the thumbs up. i think my driving experience told me to look around and be cautious when you hear the honk, not to look around and see people waving at you. ??????

3. the trunk(if that's the right word), is a joke. i dont know how many of you have seen gallardo's "under hood storage" or a pic of it. i can fill it up with 2 17" laptops and that's it. and that's with the divider in the middle. so, forget about buying ANYTHING and trying to put it in that car.

I guess it's a special car and u arent supposed to drive it everyday?? oh well, i just cant wait to get the M5 or M6 to solve those problems. :haha:

·
Registered
714 Posts
i called my dealer and is confirmed the $20k deposit as well for deliveries in 2005.

my believe is BMW Canda is trying to get as much lever and confirm as many cars as they can get from M GmbH. As well the $20k deposit with owner names may deter Dealers from stocking them themselves for stealer markups?

Aric said:
i never heard anything like that. u sure u order the M5? maybe ur dealer got mixed up and thinking u ordered the F430 or the coming gallardo roadster. hmmm

i was just at the dealership late yesterday and no one mentioned anything like that to me. or maybe my dealership just suck up the cost? imagine how many people will want to get their deposit back when they hear this.

on a side note, my friend just traded his F430 for a gallardo few days ago (dont ask why he do that, it was a slip of mind). And i had the gallardo for most part of yesterday to feel what a high performance V10 feels like. My conclusion is, if the M5 is really as fast as in the video against the gallardo, I need the M5/6 NOW!! The power is so addicting on both cars. The F430 has probably the sweetest engine sound whenever i try to step on the pedal a litl harder. The gallardo is so easy to drive and you have to look at the speedo to know how fast you are going. most of the time, u just hear that very low mumbling from the engine. also, driving the beast in the rain isnt a big problem neither. The E-Gear feels smoother than my M3 SMG, so i assume the M5 should be at least as good. My only complains are

1. my back hurts like hell after driving in the rock hard seat(even worse than the F430). i have to sit almost perfectly straight so it will hurt a litl less.

2. amount of attention is actually quite annoying after the first 10mins. some drivers were honking me and giving me the thumbs up. i think my driving experience told me to look around and be cautious when you hear the honk, not to look around and see people waving at you. ??????

3. the trunk(if that's the right word), is a joke. i dont know how many of you have seen gallardo's "under hood storage" or a pic of it. i can fill it up with 2 17" laptops and that's it. and that's with the divider in the middle. so, forget about buying ANYTHING and trying to put it in that car.

I guess it's a special car and u arent supposed to drive it everyday?? oh well, i just cant wait to get the M5 or M6 to solve those problems. :haha:
i think the seating position and view out of the cars are very different comparing a gallardo and a sedan. also, in vancouver, even with a few nice cars, you do get way too many unwanted attention in exotics, not just the first 10 mins of driving. the annoying as you have people slowing down to check out your car and completely blocking you to exit or merge.

you are correct that the trunks are pretty useless.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure why you suggest BMW Canada Inc is even involved in how dealers manage demand. I'm thinking your particular dealer has established an internal policy and the salesperson is passing it off as a BMW Canada Inc thing.

Aren't dealerships in Canada franchises like here in the US? If so, BMW should have no interest in how a particular dealer decides to manage demand.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hit_Apex said:
Not sure why you suggest BMW Canada Inc is even involved in how dealers manage demand. I'm thinking your particular dealer has established an internal policy and the salesperson is passing it off as a BMW Canada Inc thing.

Aren't dealerships in Canada franchises like here in the US? If so, BMW should have no interest in how a particular dealer decides to manage demand.
either you don't read the thread or you are still zzzzz

both spiroman and me confirmed the $20k deposit. it is not an 'internal policy'. it is a BMW Canada request.

overall i think it would be a better policy for the actual buyer than franchises stocking up on their own M5's and then demanding ransom $20k markups as you have in So Cal.
:byebye:

·
Registered
703 Posts
M! said:
either you don't read the thread or you are still zzzzz

overall i think it would be a better policy for the actual buyer than franchises stocking up on their own M5's and then demanding ransom $20k markups as you have in So Cal.
:byebye:
I think the cigars you are smoking are not 100% legal eitherzzzzz

·
Registered
714 Posts
desualt said:
I think the cigars you are smoking are not 100% legal eitherzzzzz
ouich

overall i believe the system BMW Canada has in place does deter potential flipping of spots and dealer markups in the introduction, and hence making the cars available to the actual people who wants one.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts