BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if any of you learned gents could help me - my bluetooth kit in my July '02 build M5 works fine from a pairing perspective, but the callers can't hear me very well - there is a lot of background noise which is drowning out my voice.

Bimmernav recommend two things - swapping the mic over to where the sunroof control is so it's nearer the driver, and replacing the old mic (p/n 84 31 8 380 319) with a newer, noise cancelling one (p/n 84 31 6 938 762). Swapping the mic over looks quite easy so will try that as an initial step (and will check whether the mic's installed the right way at the same time!), but wondered if anyone else had done the mic swap and if they'd noticed any significant improvement? By the looks of things the new mic costs about £40 which isn't bad but its obviously only worth doing if there's going to be an improvement...

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received! :flag:

Olie.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think the new mike is worth it. Not sure on the part number, but the difference is quite noticable in both a E46 M3 cab and X5 in my experience.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had issues even with the "upgraded" mic. I ended up getting an amplifier (sold by Bimmernav) and that cleared up all of my issues. If anything, my problem now is that it is difficult to set the volume low enough so that you don't crap yourself every time you get a call.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clearly don't want to soil my nice black & grey leather seats every time I take a phone call, and if it really is bowel-looseningly loud would be pretty dreadful if you had a carful of passengers... hopefully that particular upgrade won't be necessary... :)

The good thing I can report though is that (mic issues apart) my bluetooth works just fine with the iphone 4...

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've done this and found it works better than the old mic, swapping the position of the mic and the sunroof switch is a little fiddly as the slots are slightly different sizes but works for me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've done this and found it works better than the old mic, swapping the position of the mic and the sunroof switch is a little fiddly as the slots are slightly different sizes but works for me.
yeah I had to break out the Dremel on my e46 when I switched the position to get the mic to fit

Reactions: OlieL

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Night and day difference from the other end. The callers say they can tell a big difference. Upgrade FTW!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I had issues even with the "upgraded" mic. I ended up getting an amplifier (sold by Bimmernav) and that cleared up all of my issues. If anything, my problem now is that it is difficult to set the volume low enough so that you don't crap yourself every time you get a call.
:hihi: hiha It's true. I have the amp and it was hard to find that sweet spot. When I first installed it and recieved the first call, I jumped out the sunroof. That old office phone style ring tone doesn't help either.

Wondered if any of you learned gents could help me - my bluetooth kit in my July '02 build M5 works fine from a pairing perspective, but the callers can't hear me very well - there is a lot of background noise which is drowning out my voice.

Bimmernav recommend two things - swapping the mic over to where the sunroof control is so it's nearer the driver, and replacing the old mic (p/n 84 31 8 380 319) with a newer, noise cancelling one (p/n 84 31 6 938 762). Swapping the mic over looks quite easy so will try that as an initial step (and will check whether the mic's installed the right way at the same time!), but wondered if anyone else had done the mic swap and if they'd noticed any significant improvement? By the looks of things the new mic costs about £40 which isn't bad but its obviously only worth doing if there's going to be an improvement...

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received! :flag:

Olie.
Get the new mic and swap positions. You probably won't need the amp for an '02 so do not worry about soiling your seats.

·
13,589 Posts

On Blackberries, the BT volume is firmware version dependent. The latest upgrade has eliminated volume control for BT from the device and left it at a really low level. Fine for sitting still, but once moving you cant hear anything. The previous version of the Firmware on my phone allowed for BT volume to be adjusted from both the car and the phone and was easily loud enough to be heard outside the car.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I did the mic swap about a 2yrs or so ago. Totally worth every penny/pence. Bluetooth volume is carrier dependent on certain phones though. I remember once owning a Treo with Sprint and the bluetooth audio quality totally sucked. Volume and audio quality is like night and day with my iPhone 3g. You definitely don't need an amplifier if you have an '03 beast with M audio. I know I don't. I would suggest doing the mic swap first to see if the volume is to your liking.

Vic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts