1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hasn't this been posted four days early? :hihi:

·
Premium Member
8,805 Posts
I guess this would only make sense for engines that can't be built on BMW production lines.

So this opens the door for some very interesting small-scale engine projects that differ quite a bit from "standard" BMW engines?
Possibly more/less cylinders, alternative cilinder head concepts, non-turbo high-performance engines?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I guess this would only make sense for engines that can't be built on BMW production lines.

So this opens the door for some very interesting small-scale engine projects that differ quite a bit from "standard" BMW engines?
Possibly more/less cylinders, alternative cilinder head concepts, non-turbo high-performance engines?
Back to the good real ALPINA days :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
This makes a lot of sense. Since M cars are going down the turbo route, the difference between Alpina and M is getting too narrow. They had to do something, and given the facilities and expertise at Buchloe it's the right step.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Back to the good real ALPINA days :tonquesmilie:

Time makes things look better. Alpina never had own engines in the past.

Basically , the "good old days" (and I share your feeling) relied pretty much on the iconic B7 turbo and B10 biturbo, as well as some well packaged swaps of tuned-up BMW engines (M30 in E21 and in E30, M62 in E36, etc... ) but most of the time, it was "just" a proper tuning and polishing of existing BMW engines.

I'm very curious about this rumour. if it's a high output engine, it can only be a turbo-based engine, as this is the only technology which can cope with the current and future emissions constraints. Developing AND producing a new engine costs a huge amount of money. Making such an investment to sell a few cars a year is financially not viable. Or... Alpina will sell its engines to BMW ? or others (Wiessman, Artega, ... )?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
this is never going to happen...like sherlock says alpina always usede bmw engines for base and they went on the production line with bmw which was a massive step forward..... to go on their own now would be suicide and they would have to pump a serious amount of money in which they do not have.... and they are doing well with the partnership of bmw so why would they change that and to achieve what......nonsense rumour

1 - 10 of 10 Posts