BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Results where 1. Porsche, 2. Mercedes, 3. ALPINA, 4. Jaguar

BMW ALPINA B7 BiTurbo Allrad vs Mercedes S63 AMG Power Package (571 HP), Jaguar XJ Supersport 5.0 V8 and Porsche Panamera Turbo Powerkit (540 HP)

Sad news was that the Alpina was last to 0-200 km/h at a still quite respectable time of 16,0 s

0-200 km/h

BMW ALPINA B7 BiTurbo Allrad: 16,3 s
Mercedes S63 AMG Power Package (571 HP) 13,3 s (>BMW M5 E60 performance right there)
Jaguar XJ Supersport 5.0 V8 16,0 s
Porsche Panamera Turbo Powerkit 11,8 s :eek7:

0-100 km/h

BMW ALPINA B7 BiTurbo Allrad: 4,7 s
Mercedes S63 AMG Power Package (571 HP) 4,3 s (>BMW M5 E60 performance right there)
Jaguar XJ Supersport 5.0 V8 4,6 s
Porsche Panamera Turbo Powerkit 3,6 s :eek7:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Gustav I traded a 2008 S63 (about 45,000 miles) for my Alpina. The S63 had the small 6.3L 518 HP but it would not put the power on the road, just burned the tires off, even if AMG improved that issue, the Alpina is a world away from it IMO. The Alpina is a drivers car, the S63 is a look at me car, albiet a great car, but no Alpina. The S was NOT that fun to drive. Just one persons opinion from behind the wheel of both.

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Problem" wit hthe power of the S63 is that it has a new V8 BiTurbo now :S

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cy3qfZZZR2s?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hi Gustav I traded a 2008 S63 (about 45,000 miles) for my Alpina. The S63 had the small 6.3L 518 HP but it would not put the power on the road, just burned the tires off, even if AMG improved that issue, the Alpina is a world away from it IMO. The Alpina is a drivers car, the S63 is a look at me car, albiet a great car, but no Alpina. The S was NOT that fun to drive. Just one persons opinion from behind the wheel of both.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I must admit the S in my opinion is beautiful to look at. People were always giving me crap about it being an old mans car, by some people's standards I guess I am.

Before ordering the Alpina I also test drove a Panamera Turbo and really loved the way it drove and the decision between it and the Alpina would have been more difficult if it was not for the ugly rear quarter panel styling I just can't stand to look at it side on. One thing that bothered me about the Panamera was hyper or anxious feeling I had driving it. I don't know exactly how to describe it but I wondered if relaxed driving and uP and down shifting were possible, it felt like racing through the gears was it's only driving option. To be fair I probably needed more time behind the wheel. In the end I still believe the Alpina was the right choice, for me there is a lot more to a car than zero to 60 times. My ZR1 at 710 HP wins that race but it's not an Alpina.

·
Registered
36 Posts
While I have not owned a Panamera Turbo I have owned a Panamera 4S. It was a fantastic car and based on my very short time driving the B7 they are completely different cars. Both great cars but for different reasons. The P4S felt very much like a sportscar and the B7 like a luxury cruiser with boat loads of power. Responsiveness to throttle and steering inputs are vastly different between the two cars with the Porsche responding almost instantaineously. The Panamera was very much an "in your face" kind of car and every time we took it out people were snapping pics or gathering around it. I suspect the B7 will be less so. The Panny is now on its way to Monaco for the buyer's summer home.....

VS.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
:) Thanks. I see from your garage/sig, you too like cars of color? While I love black, silver, white and gray cars that is about all you see these days on dealers lots..... different is good. :7:
Thank you,, some body of cars can bare many kinds of flashy colors ,, but like Mercedes.. silver ,,black and some few are the traditional colors for the brand .. and i like the MB to be in a civilized class of its own .. :grinyes:

·
Registered
170 Posts
While I have not owned a Panamera Turbo I have owned a Panamera 4S. It was a fantastic car and based on my very short time driving the B7 they are completely different cars. Both great cars but for different reasons. The P4S felt very much like a sportscar and the B7 like a luxury cruiser with boat loads of power. Responsiveness to throttle and steering inputs are vastly different between the two cars with the Porsche responding almost instantaineously. The Panamera was very much an "in your face" kind of car and every time we took it out people were snapping pics or gathering around it. I suspect the B7 will be less so. The Panny is now on its way to Monaco for the buyer's summer home.....

VS.

I agree they are different and I felt odd making the comparison but these were the only two I was interested in and had dealers within reasonable distance from my house. That blue Panamera is one of the nicest I have seen by the way, the wheels and whateve else you have done balance the looks out very nicely.

I am not familiar with the E65 B7 you have pictured but the F01 B7 when placed into Sport+ mode is incredibly responsive and the shifting is very smooth and rapid, not like the PDK but about as close as I have driven. The Alpina tuning on the F01 is amazing the way it transforms the car. I was shocked at the transformation it puts a big smile on my face. Anyway, they both are winners.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.