BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Something like that would work wonders in many of the rural areas in which I drive at night on a regular basis. A lot of the highways around here are unlit, and headlights only illuminate so far. A great bit of technology, and something that could prevent accidents. Hopefully it trickles down into the E60 at some point.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
BmwNut said:
Something like that would work wonders in many of the rural areas in which I drive at night on a regular basis. A lot of the highways around here are unlit, and headlights only illuminate so far. A great bit of technology, and something that could prevent accidents. Hopefully it trickles down into the E60 at some point.
:cheers:
been waiting for a manufacturer to put in a car.. hopefuly will be available in all models in a while.. verty important especially over here with lots of deer, moose and reindeer on the roads and lots of accidents, which are more often than not fatal accidents.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cadillac had night vision 4-5 years ago on their geriatric -crowd Deville model .Thought it would be a big hit with older drivers (over 45 years old) , who naturally lose low-light vision. I think they got rid of it because hardly anyone ordered it ( or maybe they only drove in the daytime around their Florida and Arizona retirement communities . :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
It's a bit pointless having the display on the iDrive screen, isn't it? I mean, it's not exactly safe to go driving while not looking up at the road...

Doesn't the Corvette have a night vision option, where it projects on the corner of the screen (like the HUD)?

·
Registered
68 Posts
hythe said:
It's a bit pointless having the display on the iDrive screen, isn't it? I mean, it's not exactly safe to go driving while not looking up at the road...

Doesn't the Corvette have a night vision option, where it projects on the corner of the screen (like the HUD)?
An HUD would be better . Agree that driving while staring at the dash will be like driving while watching TV - not very safe ! For it to be effective , you have to look almost continouously or use it only in very dark or dodgy conditions .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bm5kw said:
Cadillac had night vision 4-5 years ago on their geriatric -crowd Deville model .Thought it would be a big hit with older drivers (over 45 years old) , who naturally lose low-light vision. I think they got rid of it because hardly anyone ordered it ( or maybe they only drove in the daytime around their Florida and Arizona retirement communities . :biggrin:
BMW engineers have opted for the innovative far infra-red (FIR) technology because studies show it is more effective than near infra-red (NIR) for detecting people, animals and objects at night.

·
Registered
68 Posts
CobraJet said:
BMW engineers have opted for the innovative far infra-red (FIR) technology because studies show it is more effective than near infra-red (NIR) for detecting people, animals and objects at night.
Effectiveness of the detector technology is one thing. To see the " drunk that is about to step into your path " between two parked cars on a dark road requires continuous use - the second your eye is diverted may be the only second you have to avoid him.
So are you going to drive " virtually " at night seeing the world only via a dash monitor ? You could enlist your passenger to be your " bogie " spotter . :hihihi:

·
Registered
260 Posts
hythe said:

Good point its hard enough having your wife telling you to this and that in the car now I can imagine her saying watchout everytime she sees a shadow on the screen.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Now when they superimpose that on a heads up display, we'll be in business.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think it would be pretty unsafe to drive while looking at the center screen but the high beam assist sounds promising.

·
Registered
714 Posts
^ agree very much. considering they are showing the pictures of them. looks okay, but if you are driving and these images are appearing on a tiny screen quite rapidly, and your eyes have to go back and forth from the screen to the road...

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
M! said:
^ agree very much. considering they are showing the pictures of them. looks okay, but if you are driving and these images are appearing on a tiny screen quite rapidly, and your eyes have to go back and forth from the screen to the road...
The technology already exists to put the information right in front of you and I think Cadillac has it. When driving down a very dark street the infrared like camera kicks in and illuminates the the whole road ahead.

This would be very useful and not so distracting. This is nothing new.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
The technology already exists to put the information right in front of you and I think Cadillac has it. When driving down a very dark street the infrared like camera kicks in and illuminates the the whole road ahead.

This would be very useful and not so distracting. This is nothing new.
we are not talking about how it can be projected on a HUD, etc etc as someone in this thread already mentioned cadillac.

we are talking about how distracting it is to look into the idrive screen and back and forth.

the BMW FIR system does not 'illuminate the whole road ahead'.
that is the NIR system as in the MB and perhaps the cadillac.

driving down a very dark street you use your high beams. hiha

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
M! said:
we are talking about how distracting it is to look into the idrive screen and back and forth.
Well I think that point is so obvious as to not require comment. hiha

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is there any companies on here that would make an install kit for our e39 M5's? for that matter if someone could get the part numbers of all the required pieces I will see what i can come up with.

thanks

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Love it! I wonder how a nice warm speedcamera would show up sitting on the barrier during a middle-of-the-night-going-home-flat-out-stint........ 300m is a nice warningdistance......:1:

CobraJet said:
Even though this article is for the 7 Series, I thought I'd post it anyway because it's very interesting. And who knows; the technology my be around the corner (no pun intended) for us small fries some day.

BMW adds super-vision to night driving

1 - 20 of 20 Posts