BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BMW e36 (3-series) was tested by the Euro NCAP, and is seems that it is one of the least safe cars available.

Here are the results:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=3&id2=15

Here is a short quote from the report:

"The 3-series' cabin became structurally unstable during the frontal impact and the driver ran a risk of life-threatening chest injury. The distance by which the steering wheel was displaced backwards posed further risks of injury, while stiff aggressive structures in the lower facia area also added greatly to the chances of the driver sustaining serious knee, thigh and pelvis injuries. In the side-impact test, protection for the driver's abdomen failed to meet coming 1998 legislation for new models."

Cheers. Daniel.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
How come you didn't tell me this prior to 10/21/03? :(

You wanna talk about injuries! Shattered pelvis, extremely severe muscle damage, multiple broken ribs, punctured and deflated left lung, lacerated kidney, and bruised spleen to name the major ones. :(

·
Registered
189 Posts
Redshift,

Woah! :eek:oohhh: Can you tell us what happened? Sorry to hear about your misfortune and breaks my heart to see that M3. :crying:

Regards,
Charles

P.S. I wonder if there are any reports on other models, like the E34's? Thinkng about how safe my 91 E34 M5 is now....BTW, we (me, wife, 2 1/2 year old son, and our unborn child) almost got t-boned by a MDX at an intersection going about 35-40mph last week while we were coming back from the ob/gyn after finding out we're expecting our second child. The MDX driver just basically ran the red, and had it been even 0.5 second later there would have been no way I could've avoided that accident. We were in my wife's E39 Touring. grrrrrrr

Redshift said:
How come you didn't tell me this prior to 10/21/03? :(

You wanna talk about injuries! Shattered pelvis, extremely severe muscle damage, multiple broken ribs, punctured and deflated left lung, lacerated kidney, and bruised spleen to name the major ones. :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
That is scary, but don`t forget the e36 is a 14 years old project.
The e36 is probably a much safer car the than the e30. So is the e46 today. Let`s hope not to test those safety features
Regards
Alex

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
For details (and beautiful pictures of the car BEFORE it was demolished) click the link in my sig.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Redshift said:
For details (and beautiful pictures of the car BEFORE it was demolished) click the link in my sig.
It was indeed beautiful, what a loss!
As I read you`ve been hit by a Silverado pickup - that`s a big (and ugly) truck so I do now understand more the devastating effect. You were lucky to made it out :cheers:
Regards
Alex

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Yes those pics are very sad redshift :(

Do you know what speed the truck was doing when it hit you?

all the best
adam

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
The E36 is probably as safe as cars of the same age. Against the likes of the E46 it seems pretty unsafe but that's the progression of safety technology for you.

As in Redshift's case. If something much bigger hits you then it doesn't really matter what your driving. Your going to take a big hit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts