BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
SMG?
Electrical Seats?
Everything manual? This has to be a joke right?

This is a wannabe M3 for poor dumbos. And btw this color is ugly as f***. :eek:h:
No joke at all, and nothing wannabe about the car, other than with a proper tune it will smoke an M3 and M6 (the latter being only 3 secs faster on the Ring).

Not sure where you've been over the last few years, but SMG is no longer in production (rightfully so). DCT is the new show in town, and no, this is offered only in manual. Going back to true ///M roots of what a car should be (light weight and manual).

Power seats? Yes, an option for people that want creature comfort. But if you are serious about keeping weight down and want a lean and mean track worthy pocket rocket, that (as well as the heating function) is an easy pass (ditto for NAV, upgraded stereo, etc.)

For the same reason why there is no sunroof. Something that by the looks of your response will make you frawn upon. No worries, this car has a designated audience. It likely won't attract M6 owners, probably not even majority of M3 owners who like creature comfort and find a need for the myriad of fairly needless options that can be spec'ed on the car. But people that want a tossible weapon on the track/aggressive street, and have a thing or two for modifications, this hits the sweet spot. Different strokes for different folks...

·
Registered
54 Posts
lol weapon...will smoke M3 and M6 haha

0-100km/h 4.9sec hiha
1,5 tons with 300 something hp hiha

My friend im directly from germany and i asure you, smg beats every gearstick on earth, this is a matter of fact.

This car is overpriced wannabe M.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
lol weapon...will smoke M3 and M6 haha

0-100km/h 4.9sec hiha
1,5 tons with 300 something hp hiha

My friend im directly from germany and i asure you, smg beats every gearstick on earth, this is a matter of fact.

This car is overpriced wannabe M.
LOL back to you, Tom from Germany

"smg beats every gearstick on earth", thanks for making my day, funniest thing I've heard in a while. Yeah, tell that to BMW, maybe you have not heard what DCT is. Spend more time on this incredible and informative board, and you shall be enlightned, with 20 posts here, I can see your lack of knowledge is impairing your better judgement.

As I said, this car is for not everybody, especially folks like you that are virtual racers from the back of their keyboard quoting 0-60times. Big LOL! If you want to see what a modded 135i can do, look no further than here:

YouTube - stock m5 vs ASR's 135i 2nd race

·
Registered
54 Posts
What are you talking about? This car on this pics here has no DCT. It has a simple 6 gear manual transmission. I see you have no idea of whatever. :2:

If all those things will be extra option, it will cost 70.000 €uro in the end or so. HAHA

Big FAIL.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We in Germany call series 1 BMW Hartz4 BMW. :haha:

I want to see a pricelist and whats its price with full options.
Then we talk again.

I dont think the cars technic is a big fail, but the marketing and prices.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts

Then we talk again.

New info coming out seems to point to this first 1 Series M Coupe as a rare commodity which may make the market. In the new Roundel ( the monthly magazine for the BMW Car Club of America) they note that there will only be 2,701 cars offered for sale, thus making this a very rare and potentially valuable piece of history. Now they dont reference whether that is the annual sales or the total number of cars offered, but it does change the way one may look at this offering.

Anyone else hear about the possible sales volumes being offered by M?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
^ very limited production I have heard from 450 to 2700. I expect the latter...

SMG?
Electrical Seats?
Everything manual? This has to be a joke right?

This is a wannabe M3 for poor dumbos. And btw this color is ugly as f***. :eek:h:
Sorry but IMO this is why M is being ruined...

Wannabe M3 for poor dumbos? Who cares how much it costs? M isnt a trophy you put on your book case, bragging to your friends you can afford one, M is a sign that this car was engineered by crazy Germans who love speeding.

The 1M is one of the FIRST cars to really herald back to BMW M's roots. I would take the 1M over an M3 any day.

I typed a lot more but basically cosioboy hit it on the head

·
Registered
160 Posts

Then we talk again.

California reporting in. I share your sentiment about the M1. A proper tune (JB3 or similar) which will cost around 1k USD and this car will hand an M5 and M3 their asses in a straight line and on the track.

The M brand is completely diluted. Me thinks BMW is concerned more about profits (and bending over and letting the environmentalists have a go) than they are keeping up the pedigree and provenance of the M line. BMW is well on their way to becoming the Honda of Germany.

Like BMW once said "torque is cheap, horsepower is expensive". Now every joe schmuck 6pack can afford high speed performance on par with cars that cost 2-3x what this M1 will cost.

This M1 is nothing more than a bastard child born out of wedlock to a crack whore of a mother and a 9-5 punch clock factory worker of a father. Someone in Munich should have had the common sense to get out the coat hanger, or at the very least kick the ***** in the stomach when the proposal of an M1 was being incubated in the board room.

It's getting time I move towards a car company that cares more about preserving the brand name than they do lining their pockets with money.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SxiDlExBAJA?fs=1&hl=sv_SE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SxiDlExBAJA?fs=1&hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love how these images are in the same color (or real freakin' close) as the prototype M1 of the 70's...

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
There won't be a "mid-cycle" car

How about a mid-cycle version with a 385 hp 4.0 and a matte grey or black paint job.
The 1 Series M Coupe is a single model year only car. This (2011) is the last year for the current 1 series body. BMW M people told me in person that this is a single production year car from them. Kinda odd, but there it is!

And while the torque and HP curves may be different, it only has 5 more HP than the "is" engine in a Z4 335is. But then BMW M is always saying that its the balance of everything together and not just a HP & torque numbers game for them. Time will tell, but I'm sure there will be some 135 versus 1 M Coupe street and track comparisons coming.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Valencia Orange

I love how these images are in the same color (or real freakin' close) as the prototype M1 of the 70's...
In person the Valencia Orange color is quite appealing. It is a metallic paint with a gold flake under coat beneath the orange. It is not like the flat "competition orange" you may have seen on other BMWs (the 2002 comes to mind). I'm not sure what the M1 you saw looked like, but it's unlikely it was a metallic orange (or what it?).

Perhaps not a color to everyone's taste, but it a pretty hot color in person (I say a peak of it at BMW's Miramas "secrets room" back in Sept.) I think it fits the character of the 1 M Coupe. It changes color with the light like a number of the Individual paints from BMW.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I think the 1 series M is styled well, but 340 horsepower from a TT inline 6? Thats pretty weak IMO. I couldn't imagine getting one of these, when for almost half the price one could get a very nice low mileage E46 M3, which has just 7 less horsepower without those damn turbos. It is clear that they simply did a minor tune on the engine in the 135i, so it begs the question that if one wanted a fast 1 series, why not pick up a 135i with sport package and just do a Dinan tune...that alone will make it faster than the 1 series M.

Overall, nice looking but disappointing from an engineering perspective (what I expect from the "new" BMW M division). Btw, this car only having 340 horsepower now makes me think that BMW will put the exact engine from the X5 M into the F10 M5...it seems they are no longer interested in having class leading power as they did when the E39 and E60 M5s came out.

afc1

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think the 1 series M is styled well, but 340 horsepower from a TT inline 6? Thats pretty weak IMO. I couldn't imagine getting one of these, when for almost half the price one could get a very nice low mileage E46 M3, which has just 7 less horsepower without those damn turbos. It is clear that they simply did a minor tune on the engine in the 135i, so it begs the question that if one wanted a fast 1 series, why not pick up a 135i with sport package and just do a Dinan tune...that alone will make it faster than the 1 series M.

Overall, nice looking but disappointing from an engineering perspective (what I expect from the "new" BMW M division). Btw, this car only having 340 horsepower now makes me think that BMW will put the exact engine from the X5 M into the F10 M5...it seems they are no longer interested in having class leading power as they did when the E39 and E60 M5s came out.

afc1
Well, the E46 M3 may have 7 less peak horsepower, but a pathetic 262lb-ft of torque, which is 70 less than the 1 series M, and there will be places in the power band where the 1 series M makes probably 150tq more than the E46 M3 . The 1 series M will make a lot more power in the low-mid range area, get substantially better gas mileage, weigh about 100lbs less, handle/brake better, and have free maintenance/warranty unlike the E46, which won't be cheap to keep up. Not to mention you'd be driving a car that will be two model versions old in a year or so.

Don't forget a simple cheap tune will up the 1 series M to about 400hp....good luck getting that kind of bang for your buck with the E46 M3.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Well, the E46 M3 may have 7 less peak horsepower, but a pathetic 262lb-ft of torque, which is 70 less than the 1 series M, and there will be places in the power band where the 1 series M makes probably 150tq more than the E46 M3 . The 1 series M will make a lot more power in the low-mid range area, get substantially better gas mileage, weigh about 100lbs less, handle/brake better, and have free maintenance/warranty unlike the E46, which won't be cheap to keep up. Not to mention you'd be driving a car that will be two model versions old in a year or so.

Don't forget a simple cheap tune will up the 1 series M to about 400hp....good luck getting that kind of bang for your buck with the E46 M3.
M cars have never had class leading torque. Want big torque? Go buy an E63 AMG. Sure the new 1 series M has more torque than the E46 M3, but it also will lack the linear power that an NA engine provides, the thrill of hitting 8k RPM, and the awesome exhaust note (which is far better than the sound of a "butt-plugged" turbo engine, IMO).

BMW knows that they should put an NA engine in this car (even though it has less torque....blah blah blah), but I believe this measure was purely taken for fuel economy reasons. Good gas mileage is a good trait for a car, but I'd rather have BMW make compromises on their "regular" models.

Regarding being two models old, the E46 M3 may not have the same "street cred" as the brand new 1 series M, but a nice one can be purchased for probably HALF of what the new 1er will be fully loaded. And while it is out of warranty, the one I drive has been absolutely BULLETPROOF, unlike the problematic 135i's engine in which the 1 series M is based on. I'd be willing to bet that for the price of a fully loaded 1 series M, you could get a very low mileage (about 15k) 2006 M6, which soon will only be one body style old, and has a far more striking design than the 1 series M, in my opinion. Or you could purchase a 2008 E90 M3 for probably the same money...this car has more power from a high revving NA engine, more space, and is still a relatively new design.

afc1

41 - 58 of 58 Posts