BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Wow! This is going to be huge on track! I remember when I went to a small track with a friend, I was shocked to see many nice performance cars including M3 were occasionally getting beat by a Mazda Miata and ofcourse a good driver! The HP and engine size didn't matter as much as I was thinking it did! The Weight, and wheel base length made a world of difference! This car with slight mods, such as lowering suspentions/springs, engine tuning, exhaust, etc. will give the big shot a good run for their money! I'de get one! But after its released for a year or two! I'll make it a track lizard! Very exciting!

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
It does per BMW official specs 0-200 km/h in 17,3 s. Roughly what a BMW M3 does, but not faster since that would't make sense for the M3.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Very different styling..

Has anyone seen a 335is yet? I pass one every few days and it looks just like an M3, until you get closer and see a line across the intakes. Personally, I would go for the 335is over the M1.

This car isn't very practical.. I think it will be loved by those who bring it to the track a lot (extremely small) and it's target market.. the youth (priced at 45k, for an M car, perfect to reach that market).

This car is also stripped down to it's essentials, hence "Pure M". Although not for me.. still a cool car, the interior is nice and different as well. Defiantly can see it as a leading competitor to Porsche.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'd have to say, it is definitely different enough from a 135 to make it a potential buy for me. I have driven a 335 and a 135, neither were that hot, and at the time my benchmark for a car to buy had to be faster than my then current Evo 8 RS.

This has the same powerplant as all of the BMW I-6s, but with more power than the 135, 335, 535, and 740. The variety of tunes available from the factory spells volumes about the flexibility of the powerplant. Just a tune and exhaust will give 400hp/400tq, a decent challenge to an M3 or even an M5 on a short track. Also as every M owner will tell you over and over, there is something about the M vehicle that transcends just the sum of the parts; look at any argument between M3 and tuned 335 owners. So here we have a true M car, with the tuning potential of a 335.

I would of course love to see this car with the 4.0 V-8, for no reason other than the exhaust note, but then the whole M-jenga tower would collapse, and we can't have that. How about a mid-cycle version with a 385 hp 4.0 and a matte grey or black paint job.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I like a lot of cars and enjoy various aspects of many.
The M1 will definitely fit a young sport market.
I would enjoy M1 or M3 on autocross for agility.
The WRX however, has big advantages for autocross.
If I were to run on autobahn long rides at high speeds, I'd far prefer M5 over M3 or M1 without question.
High speed driving is safest with the larger car for visability and stability.
On track, my M3 is stable at 137 mph
In a different discussion thread members have posted super high speeds I've not experienced nor would necessarily want to.
I far prefer to be in an M5 at 170 mph + for visability and stability.

M1 just would not find a spot in my garage, but an M5 would :) (at a significant cost difference)

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Definetly, M is a complete package which males it almost impossible to convert a 335 to M3.

Just a tune and exhaust will give 400hp/400tq, a decent challenge to an M3 or even an M5 on a short track. Also as every M owner will tell you over and over, there is something about the M vehicle that transcends just the sum of the parts; look at any argument between M3 and tuned 335 owners. So here we have a true M car, with the tuning potential a 335i

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking at this article on Edmunds.com Insideline, they mention in the first paragraph that the US allotment is less than 1,000 units. It is not clear if this is just for the 2011 production run or the life of the vehicle. I am assuming just 2011. Either way, if they limit the import numbers to the US that makes me wonder if dealers are going to charge a hefty premium to get one.

BMW 1 Series M Coupe To Be Priced Near $45K

·
Registered
329 Posts
Looking at this article on Edmunds.com Insideline, they mention in the first paragraph that the US allotment is less than 1,000 units. It is not clear if this is just for the 2011 production run or the life of the vehicle. I am assuming just 2011. Either way, if they limit the import numbers to the US that makes me wonder if dealers are going to charge a hefty premium to get one.

BMW 1 Series M Coupe To Be Priced Near $45K
Seems logical if the supply is limited and the demand is high; there will be little room to negotiate.
On the other hand, if the demand is particularly high, the supply will also increase above 1000 units. :wroom:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I think BMW have got it right with this one. It has aggression and poise. The only thing i am in doubt of is the engine, power is sufficient but being turbo based will it have the character M Power cars (certainly of old) should possess?

·
Registered
991 Posts
This is 100% marketing ploy to maintain sales of more costly BMW's. The pecking order mandates it must be slower than M3 in OEM stock form. However it will pounce M3 with a simple chip and the M3 can't be similarly modified. M3 owners are going to be very frustrated with the real world comparisons with cheap bolt-on's. This car is much lighter with more performance potential. It's still porky compared to old E36 lightweight, but this will become the favored BMW y2k+ track car for most venues. The V8 M3 weighs the same as my 540i with spare tire removed and that's not world class for sporting use.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Definetly, M is a complete package which males it almost impossible to convert a 335 to M3.
Marketing is real science.
Clearly M1 has a different market than does 335i and M3.
The 335IS I would suspect to be in between M1 & M3.

BMW defined M cars a while ago and they seem to redefine them continuously way back when. Naturally aspirated, high revving (4,000 rpm to 8300 rpm), low torque, high Horsepower monsters (M5). BMW seemed to indicate there never would be a turbo in an M car. Never say never.

Exciting times in tougher economic times. Perhaps that's why there is such aggressive marketing of the M.:flag:

·
Registered
692 Posts
But that side view? So FUGLY.
This car is at most a 2 + 0.5 seater

Best to compare it against say a Cayman S for practicality
Lets See - M1 - 1495 kg's, Cayman S 1350kg (DIN)
145kg's is a lot of lard to carry around.

So here begins the first of the FI M cars. I don't count the X5,X6.

Say what you want about how fast it is around the track, blah, blah - at the end of the day it's still hideous.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I didnt think I should see an autmatic M car (X5M) but I liked it alot to be a SUV, even chased and overtoo ksome Porsche 911s on the track :checkeredflag:

Marketing is real science.
Clearly M1 has a different market than does 335i and M3.
The 335IS I would suspect to be in between M1 & M3.

BMW defined M cars a while ago and they seem to redefine them continuously way back when. Naturally aspirated, high revving (4,000 rpm to 8300 rpm), low torque, high Horsepower monsters (M5). BMW seemed to indicate there never would be a turbo in an M car. Never say never.

Exciting times in tougher economic times. Perhaps that's why there is such aggressive marketing of the M.:flag:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/17772944?portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/17772944">In the Studio with BMW's 1 Series M Coupe | SkiddMark</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user469146">CitizenSlide</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The moment I have been waiting for has finally arrived - I will be back in an ///M car once again!

This car has the potential to be something really special if the ///M division got it right (no reason to doubt them other than the very short 1.5 yr development period and very limited budget).

Considering how my modestly tuned 135i slaughters my RS4 (and M3s) in a straight line (380whp), the tuning potential of this little pocket-rocket is immense. Having the M3 suspension and LSD bits addresses the Achiles heal of the 1-series platform.

And for added comfort, just check it's Nurburgring lap times, impressive! Quicker than the E60 M5 and a whopping 10 secs quicker than the E46 M3.

BMWs Compared:
  • E46 M3 CSL - 7:50
  • E90/E92 M3 - 8:05
  • E63 M6 - 8:09
  • 1 series M coupe - 8:12
  • Z4 M-Coupe - 8:12
  • E60 M5 - 8:13
  • Alpina B3 Biturbo - 8:14
  • Z4 M-Roadster - 8:15
  • Alpina Roadster S (Z4) - 8:15
  • E46 M3 - 8:22
  • 335i E92 Coupe - 8:26
Other Models Compared:
  • 911 Carrera S PDK (997.5) - 7:50
  • Audi R8 4.2 - 8:04
  • Cayman S - 8:04 (by Walter Röhrl)
  • Audi RS4 - 8:09
  • Audi TT-RS - 8:09
  • BMW 1 series M coupe - 8:12
  • Aston Martin V8 Vantage - 8:13
  • Mercedes C63 AMG PP - 8:13
  • Corvette C6 - 8:15
  • Cayman S - 8:16 (Sport Auto)
  • Porsche Boxter S (987.5) - 8:18
  • Lexus IS-F - 8:18
  • 2010 VW Golf R - 8:23
  • Audi S5 (2007) - 8:26
  • Audi TT-S (2008) - 8:29
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
54 Posts
SMG?
Electrical Seats?
Everything manual? This has to be a joke right?

This is a wannabe M3 for poor dumbos. And btw this color is ugly as f***. :eek:h:

21 - 40 of 58 Posts