BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my stock filters to BMS ones and since giving it a few hard pulls the engine management warning light has come on.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the oil on the filters clog up the MAF sensors - Am I right?

Also as my motor is under warranty / service package - do they cause me a problem if I go to BMW to resolve - or should I swap back ?

Note: I have no diagnostic reader but the vehicle status in the menu section doesn't flag anything up??

Thanks in advance Lee

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not familiar with BMS, however, you assessment is correct. Oiled filters like the K&N ones are not meant for this car (even though K&N sells them as compatible). Not sure if your issue is resolved but try a sensor cleaner - you can get it at any Auto parts store and wipe both sensors.. let the car run or drive it around and turn off completely. Wait 30 seconds and restart. If the code still exists something else may be up and you will need a code scanner to know what codes it is throwing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not familiar with BMS, however, you assessment is correct. Oiled filters like the K&N ones are not meant for this car (even though K&N sells them as compatible). Not sure if your issue is resolved but try a sensor cleaner - you can get it at any Auto parts store and wipe both sensors.. let the car run or drive it around and turn off completely. Wait 30 seconds and restart. If the code still exists something else may be up and you will need a code scanner to know what codes it is throwing.
Hey paddy, thanks for your response. Ultimately i haven't changed / done anything but the CEL light has gone away again. It did return once, so think our theories are correct regarding MAF sensors, and needing a clean. Ill do this when it get gets
I will keep them in on the basis it feels a bit stringer at top end....Next for me are new boots...seems that MPS4S's are the flavor at the moment...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you ever get to scanning the codes for the CEL? There is a specific code for the MAF sensors - it even tells you which side - right or left.

Good choice with the MPS4s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Paddy - No to scanning codes but my CEL light has returned and seems to be on permanently (1 week and counting ) so need to get it checked out..

Been travelling so now looking forward to getting the new boots fitted later this week. Ill report back once "run in"..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Paddy,

Took the car into my local Indy this morning and as suspected my CEL was caused by the MAF sensors which leads me to the conclusion it was the oil residue from the BMC filters. They cleaned them, replaced and now light is gone..

Also got the MPS4S's fitted last week.. WOW much much better than the PZero's.. very little traction issues once up to temp so highly recommend them to anyone needing new boots..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts