BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I currently have K&N cones on my E60, but I am wanting to go back to the air boxes. I was going to go for OE panel filters, but I've been told to go with BMC as they're "better". I have been searching around and I keep seeing mixed reviews about BMC filters. Are they worth the premium over OE panel filters? Am I really going to notice any improvements? I gather I will notice an improvement going back to boxes from the cones, even on a cold day.

Thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
With RPI scoops there may be some effect but already having 500hp it will be minimal. Any good quality oiled sponge filter will outperform paper in the flow department. The MAF is the choke point unless you add pressure.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Alan. I thought OE were paper, so by sponge are you talking about Pipercross panels?

·
Registered
683 Posts
BMC or any washable filter is 'better' than the oem paper due to being able to clean them over time (and re-oil if you prefer). More up front cost like with most 'upgrades'.

aFe has a cool design for the OEM intakes. Its a cone facing down in the intake with a flat base like stock. Not sure if there is benefit haven't seen any talk about it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
BMC or any washable filter is 'better' than the oem paper due to being able to clean them over time (and re-oil if you prefer). More up front cost like with most 'upgrades'.

aFe has a cool design for the OEM intakes. Its a cone facing down in the intake with a flat base like stock. Not sure if there is benefit haven't seen any talk about it.
View attachment 937269
Dang I didn’t know AFe made filters for the beast. I am an AFe believer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts