BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can you describe? Thx -
With the M5 (and the Cayenne I had before it) I feel like the BMC or K&N give you a better throttle response. It isn't really scientific because I didn't measure anything. But more airflow cannot hurt performance. The company selling the BMC claimed a 10 HP gain. I don't know if this is true or not.

They are not that expensive (I paid $180 on eBay), try them and see if it feels any better. The only down side is getting the back right screw off the left air filter cover, it can be frustrating. If you change the filters to BMC you might as well pull the carbon flters off while you are in there. If you are doing it yourself you need a small ratchet to get on it. I used a Rosewill 1/4 inch Drive Mini Rachet Screwdriver that you can find on Amazon for $5.

·
Registered
756 Posts
With the M5 (and the Cayenne I had before it) I feel like the BMC or K&N give you a better throttle response. It isn't really scientific because I didn't measure anything. But more airflow cannot hurt performance. The company selling the BMC claimed a 10 HP gain. I don't know if this is true or not.

They are not that expensive (I paid $180 on eBay), try them and see if it feels any better. The only down side is getting the back right screw off the left air filter cover, it can be frustrating. If you change the filters to BMC you might as well pull the carbon flters off while you are in there. If you are doing it yourself you need a small ratchet to get on it. I used a Rosewill 1/4 inch Drive Mini Rachet Screwdriver that you can find on Amazon for $5.
I have the K&Ns and agree entirely with these subjective assessments--it somehow feels more free; loosened up. I also deleted those dumb-*** Californian-mandated carbon filters at the same that I added the K&Ns and could certainly hear the turbos more clearly. By the way, this verbiage we use -- "carbon filter delete" -- equates to pulling/sliding a filter out of the "airbox" (I think that's the correct name but I'm no expert on engine nomenclature) and discarding it--an 8 second job when already installing new air-filters.

Short story: I'd highly recommend doing both although my own first-hand experience only extends to the carbon-filter delete and swapping the stock air-filters for K&N... I've no idea how the BMC's perform.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts