BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is an 05/02 build - I had a short of some kind at the connection to the radio module, which melted much of the wiring harness (not sure if the fuse failed or what happened - I did a search and could find no one else with the same problem). I've purchased a newer BM53, along with a wiring harness, thinking that the superfluous wires for Sirius and the like would be easily distinguished and that BMW would use the same color and gauge of wire for the connections regardless of the year and vehicle in which the BM53 is used. I was wrong. I've matched up all but four of the wires from the car side to the right places on the harness side, but am stuck now. Is there anyone out there who'd be prepared to open up their trunk and take a close up pic of the wiring harness so that I can try to match the wiring insulation colors with the correct spot in the harness/connector? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
So your car has always had a BM53, just the harness has been damaged and you're replacing it?

This might help

Which wires have you identified and which do you have left over?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is fantastic - the description of the color of the wire insulation is what I was missing - I have the front speakers and the ground identified, now that I see the white with yellow bands is the Bus wire, I think i can figure the rest out (will have to look when I get home). Thank you very much for this.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So your car has always had a BM53, just the harness has been damaged and you're replacing it?

This might help

Which wires have you identified and which do you have left over?
Just updating - I have looked at this, and curiously my car does not have all of the wires that are referred to in this diagram. In the non-A and B sections (numbered 1-16), I have the following:

Not sure what to do on the missing ones, as I know what I'm dealing with on the car side as the existing wires are staring at me. I just need to figure out what the map means for those that are listed but not found. any suggestion on this anomaly?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
With DSP only the front channel output from the radio is used, so you won't have the 4 wires for the rear speakers.

Similarly, phone audio control goes directly to the DSP amp on some systems, so that will be why you don't have pin 11.

The connector is the same as some of the in dash radios for the E39 and X5, these have the dimmer connection but the Nav Board Monitor radios don't need it, so that's pin 14.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Richard I am very appreciative. Just a couple of quick additional questions as I try to get this followed up.

The connector/harness that I purchased is the right shape and size, but while the wires on the connector/harness were cut off (which allows me just to do butt connectors from the new connector/harness to the existing vehicle wiring), the new connector/harness does not have "connector ends" in all of the numbered spots that I need to connect to as listed above. Do you know if the "connector ends" (not sure what to call this, but the piece that looks like it is crimped onto the end of the wire, then clicks into the slot in the connector/harness) are a BMW part, or something I can get anywhere?

There are a couple of redundant "connector ends" in the connector/harness that I purchased (I think it came from a newer M3) - if I could get the connector/harness to release those, I could just pull them out and re-use them in the slots I need. But I can't figure out where the tab or other piece is that keeps the "connector ends" securely connected to the harness. Any idea on this one?

Thanks in advance for helping a wiring rookie along the way.... :)

Tim

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'm not sure of the part number, a dealer may be know if they have a good parts guy.

The pis for the flat pin connector go in easily enough, but they are almost impossible to get out without the right tool unless your plug has the blue plastic strips (I don't think the OEM connectors do, not sure about the US market though).

The pins have a barb which is hard to get at, you need to slide a pin or a very thin blade down the side of the pin, in the same plane as the pin on the radio from the radio side of the plug.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Richard. I tried dislodging the pin, and you're right it's not budging - looks like getting to the tab is a problem. Headed to the dealer...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts