BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever since I added AUX input I've been wanting a wireless solution. You see, our VW has us spoiled. We get in the car, it auto-pairs with our phone and we can easily stream high quality audio without plugging anything in. It "just works".

I wanted to get as close to that as possible in the beast, but wanted to do it on the (mega) cheap. There are plenty of do-it-all off-the-shelf solutions, but I need projects to keep me off the streets.

My requirements:
- Auto-on with the ignition
- Auto-pair with ignition (this is less common)
- Decent audio quality
- Hidden
- Cheap!

*Note* You can do the whole thing without soldering and splicing if you buy a BMW flashlight-to-car-socket adapter, but again, that isn't as fun or as cheap.

Here's how I did it.

Parts List:
0. Aux Input (I am cheating and not counting this towards total cost since I did this earlier)
1. Miccus Mini-Rx This guy is the only one that auto-pairs on powerup! $35
2. Compact USB car charger $5
3. T-Tap splice connectors. I used generic 14-18 AWG deals from Home Depot. I'd try to score less bulky ones if I did it again. $2

Steps:

1. Solder a lead to the positive (center) and negative (barrel) contacts on your USB car charger. Use some sandpaper to get a key on the connectors.
You can crack it open to make sure you get the "live" outer contact, manufacturers save $$ by only wiring one up.
2. Use shrink wrap or electrical tape to tidy everything up.
3. Zip tie the Miccus Rx to the charger. Tidy up the USB cable (or get an even shorter one).
4. Pull the cover under the glovebox (no screws, just a firm straight back motion).
5. Locate and unplug the connector going to the flashlight. Use a DMM to check polarity. My car's purple wire was positive.
6. Run the cables from the contraption down near the flashlight. Splice the leads, plug the connector back into the glove box.
7. Enjoy!

Electronic device Technology Wire Capacitor

Technology Electronic device Wire Electrical supply

Machine

Handheld power drill Rotary tool Tool Wire Machine

Auto part Technology Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Gun Trigger

The Miccus includes the solid mini-stereo coupler, as well as a short cable if you prefer. They also supply a USB cable that is too long for my taste, but I am using it for now.

Audio quality is great and it pairs every time. I might expand the project to include an inline headphone amp later.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Thanks for this DIY; it's going to be bookmarked in the guidepost sticky.

Is this the BMW power adapter you referenced?

I'd probably try the Miccus on a 7hr charge alone, as I don't drive it daily. Was there another competing product you considered besides the Miccus?

This probably depends on the phone, but: how do you manage calls while the phone is streaming music? Does your phone send A2DP to Miccus and voice to headset? Or do you just talk on speakerphone? Thanks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for this DIY; it's going to be bookmarked in the guidepost sticky.

BMW Genuine Auxiliary Power Adapter, (3 Series after 1999), (5 Series after 1996), (7 Series after 1994), All X5, X3, Z4 : Amazon.com : Electronics Is this the BMW power adapter you referenced?
Yes!
I'd probably try the Miccus on a 7hr charge alone, as I don't drive it daily. Was there another competing product you considered besides the Miccus?
There a bunch of these, but this is the only one I could find that would auto-pair when fed power.

This probably depends on the phone, but: how do you manage calls while the phone is streaming music? Does your phone send A2DP to Miccus and voice to headset? Or do you just talk on speakerphone? Thanks.
When receiving a call on my iPhone, the audio fades and pauses, and my phone rings using its own speakers. I can then answer and use speakerphone. I suspect if I paired to a bluetooth speakerphone, it'd switch to that rather than the phone on an incoming call.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How's the audio quality? I've not found any BT interface (OEM or aftermarket) I've been satisfied with yet.
For my purposes, I'd say it's pretty good. It's a bit weak so I have to crank the volume on the iPhone just like I did with the AUX in direct.
Quality seems fine to me, though I am running the stock 10 year old M-Audio :)

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
For my purposes, I'd say it's pretty good. It's a bit weak so I have to crank the volume on the iPhone just like I did with the AUX in direct.
Quality seems fine to me, though I am running the stock 10 year old M-Audio :)
You know the aux-in has it's own volume controls (aside from the volume knob) right?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice solution- do you have a DIY link to your AUX Input? I have a Sony Head unit in my Pathfinder and the streaming audio quality from my iphone is excellent so i imagine this solution is a good one depending on the device used at the receiving end.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can u incorporate a microphone so you can use to talk on your cellphone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Not with this this. This is strictly an a2dp streaming audio receiver. I though I might try to hide a tiny third-party bluetooth speakerphone in the headliner where the OEM mic would go, but that's another project altogether.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Input sensitivity of the Aux input is set by pressing the 1-6 buttons while the Aux source is selected, 1 is least sensitive (quiet), 6 is most sensitive (loud).

1 - 20 of 84 Posts