BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just retrofutted mt e39 with a gen 11 bt module... it connects up fine and links with phone great...only thing is i can hear absolutely nothing??? any ideas? i have the old ound pin bm24 headunit... thanks

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Sometimes a jumper plug is needed. I know I needed to install one when I installed my BT module.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was that jst for voice recognition/? or was that for the sound issue? do you have the bm24 or bm54 unite?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Not sure on if the VR worked before the jumper plug, but I had zero sound out of the speakers before I installed it. Once it was installed, I have VR and sound. I have the BM53 radio.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting looking on bimmernav they mention the ses jumper... is it on a black plug? can you describe the plug the jumper is on?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just put a BT retrofit in my car. On the harness that connects the unit to the main power ( I think it's a 25 pin) there is a single wire with a male plug. Near the 25 pin plug there is a 3 pin female jack. The wires are Red/Brown/White. The single wire plugs into the white female. This got me sound and VR.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Glad to see you are making progress with the bluetooth. I gather you were able to connect the supplied 54 pin harness to the module and to your car's harness?

Look at the 25-pin harness on your car. Is there a wire in slot 21?? . This is the pin for telephone off/on - it's possible your car's harness doesn't have a pin there. So, the car has no way of shutting off radio and engaging speakers for phone.

You may want to check all of the pins to make sure they line up correctly. This may be helpful:

25 Pin 54 Pin

Pin 3------------------------Pin 36 (Ground)
Pin 4------------------------Pin 17
Pin 5------------------------Pin 35
Pin 10-----------------------Pin 51 (mute)
Pin 11-----------------------Pin 32
Pin 14-----------------------Pin 19 (mic)
Pin 15-----------------------Pin 1 (mic)
Pin 19-----------------------Pin 37 (speaker)
Pin 20-----------------------Pin 21
Pin 22-----------------------Pin 15 (ibus)**
Pin 25-----------------------Pin 38 (speaker)
Pin 21-----------------------Pin 33 (tele on)**

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bluetooth

I'm very interested in this upgrade, any chance one of you guys is willing to share details of what is necessary or take time to post a how to thread?

I for one would be VERY grateful, as would others i'm sure.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys, i did not buy the oem harness, as i found it extotrionate. the aim of the execise was to keep costs as near the parrot kit with steering controls as possible. I have followed this guide ÜberMpower • View topic - Custom DIY OEM Bluetooth Harness. and so far everyhting works (without sound) i am using the bm4 unit as opposed to the bm54 unit which the guide states. i have contacted the author and he is giving me a hand. So far ive managed to get ULF gen 11 £80, wires and plugs £30, button £2, Mic, Aerial, cable, £55, harness £10.... so the total rings in at just under £180 which is less than a quarter of what bimmernav want for the kit....

@pghmailman

Did you use the oem loom? also are the plugs you are referring to on that loom?

Cheers

·
Registered
428 Posts
I hear you with saving some cash.

Looks like that guy just made his own harness. No biggie.

What you have to make triple sure of is in what pins your are setting the wires. Post up a pic if you can.

Really, it's just a matter of making sure each pin on the module matches up your cars wires for the listed functions.

The harness is just an "easier" way of doing things. You could wire splice and solder everything, too.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will try to get a pic... i put a speaker on the output + and - of the ulf module and no sound came through that either... is that normal? aso what this about these wires further up the thread? and do people on here with the bm24 unit and dsp have the retrofit working ok?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still no joy - in my trunk I have a black plug with 6 round pins and another black plug with 16 or so that are connected to nothing? Is this relevant? Also I have still no joy, do you guys know if you have to do anything special with the digital dsp system and bm24?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, apparently for the dsp you have to wire the phone directly into that as the sound goes through it , it has tel on and tel mute and + - for sound.. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not things I have done directly. Maybe someone else chimes in.

I do have the bm24 radio, dsp, and the bluetooth retrofit working properly.

Here's my thoughts.

1. On putting a speaker directly to the module, seems like a good test to make sure the module is working. But, is your module even hooked up to the i-bus yet? Is "telephone" appearing on the NAV screen? Is your module even hooked up to power yet? If no, how do you know the module is even on. If no, how can you pair any device to the module and test with it? In short, I don't think the speaker direct to the module is a good test at this stage (it will be later if there are issues).

black plug with 16 or so that are connected to nothing
Describe your connectors in the trunk a bit better. I am trying to visualize it, but I am failing badly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry yes everything works with the unit except sound, phone is all paired up an appearing on nav screen... I dialled my friend then pit the speaker out in it ... I will check later maybe take a pic if I can... The wiring for the dsp plug says : 2- Low freq. negative (-) signal - Transceiver/charging electronics
11 Low freq. voltage (+) signal - Transceiver/charging electronics
Does that sound like the sound input from the bt to you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts