BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I recently installed the OEM retrofit kit with the 13th gen ULF module. My car is a European spec '02 M5, and was prewired for the Motorola V-series mobile phone. However there was no prewiring to the storage box towards the front of the car for the bluetooth antenna (this I installed in the boot towards the back seats).

I am using a Sony Ericsson K800i with the car which is under the approved phone's list by BMW, but the audio quality is terrible. I mean you can hear the other person but you have to strain to understand what they are saying! At times I think putting the phone on speaker would be clearer! I have updated the phone's software and everything else works great e.g. sms/phonebook sync.

I did some research and found there is a bluetooth audio compensator made by BMW as well? Has anyone else encountered this problem...The recipients say they can hear me clearly just a little bit distant. My friend has a 2008 335i Coupe and her bluetooth works like a charm, the audio quality is rich and loud. What I have now feels fisherprice-ish in comparison!

I think it is either:

A) My phone is totally rubbish with bluetooth audio (Hope to test this with another phone soon)
B) I have screwed something up in installing the kit
C) I need something else (Compensator?)

Cheers for any help
Faraz

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I retrofitted by BT through Bimmernav and the microphone that came in the kit was aweful. Martin (owner) advised me the newer microphone that is on the X5 is better, and I paid for the difference and got the latest one. Much much better, hope this helps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The location of the bluetooth antenna is crucial

Supposedly there is a TSB on this, but the only info is from this picture

More info here

http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_E39_Bluetooth_Installation_Instructions.html

If your car is without the DSP the booster amp will help the audio to be proper.

Also you can look at the adapter harness and see if any wiring are pushed in or bent. Many have done this upgrade with great success, so it just might be a matter of sorting it out

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Also make sure you have it facing the right direction (there is an arrow, if you positioned it facing the wrong way that will cause you probs)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the info!

I did in fact upgrade the microphone because it seemed like a worthwhile trade off. That is roughly where I installed the antenna (used same pdf) but i'm not entirely sure about direction....I will give that a check today.

If it helps I don't have M-Audio or the DSP amp. The bent wiring is an interesting suggestion though, has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm not sure if this might be your issue, but BMW normally runs 2 antenna wires for the bluetooth antenna from the module location and when I first installed mine I had the antenna on one cable and the module on the other. After changing the antenna to the other cable my quality went from terrible to perfect. Also as mentioned in a previous reply the placement of the antenna is critical if installed in the rear deck.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
It is also possible there is a slight incompatibility issue. Bluetooth is notoriously variable in implementation, which is why some phones are approved for use and others are incompatible to varying degrees. My Blackjack for example handles inbound calls fine, but if I place the call, the volume of the voice on the other end is often low. Other phones work perfectly in all respects (like the Motorola Razr), but I need the smartphone for handling work-related email. Moto's Qs don't work in my car for some reason, though you'd think the BT implementation would be similar to the Razr's. Easiest fix is the get an outboard amp (available at Bimmernav) and hook it up in series with your BT audio signal. Someone on the board got one and raves about how it solved all his volume problems. I bought one but haven't had time to install it yet. It is somewhat involved wiring-wise. You might want to take it to a car stereo installation shop.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm not sure if this might be your issue, but BMW normally runs 2 antenna wires for the bluetooth antenna from the module location and when I first installed mine I had the antenna on one cable and the module on the other. After changing the antenna to the other cable my quality went from terrible to perfect. Also as mentioned in a previous reply the placement of the antenna is critical if installed in the rear deck.
+1. Make sure you plug the *correct* antenna cable to the ULF. There is another connector in the trunk with purple connectors that look just like the BT antenna connector. You may be connecting the wrong one and BT will then sound terrible. Ask me how I know...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was no preinstalled wiring for the bluetooth ULF. Bimmernav sent me a seperate cable to connect the ULF module to the aerial. Initially, however, they forgot to do this and I did infact hook up the ULF to the same cable that was there (Which turned out to be the roof antenna for if you use a snap in adapter...which goes through the compensator) and the quality was terrible but when I had realised what I had done I wasnt surprised because it was having to go through the metal roof!

Just tried moving the antenna about a bit, left my phone in the boot (Trunk even- sorry!) and called a number with the phone a few cm away from the antenna, but the quality was still the same so I dont think it is the positioning. I am going to try with a different phone later on today to see if that could be a problem.

Thanks again for the support guys!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just did the retrofit on my 2000 over the weekend with excellent results. I also upgraded the microphone.

My wife hates being on speaker phone. The first time I called her as a test she didn't realize it and commented on her wardrobe (or lack thereof) after stepping out of the shower. I was glad I was alone in the car and made a mental note to warn her right away if ever I was not. :7:

"Also make sure you have it facing the right direction (there is an arrow, if you positioned it facing the wrong way that will cause you probs) "

Just to make sure this is clear, he means the mic, not the antenna.

Now I just need a better phone so I can take advantage of the phone book features which are apparently not supported by my Blackberry 7290.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick Update: I tried the system with another phone....(Nokia) worked a little better in terms of quality..but it was still pretty bad and crackly as well as painfully silent. I'm not sure if the audio booster will solve my problem, as wont it just be boosting this 'dirty' audio?? Also the mic is positioned in the correct manner - Everyone I call can hear me clearly....

Help someone!!

·
Registered
962 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you have tried rasing the volume of the car and phone to the max and still cannot hear, then you need something like this: http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-800.htm

Bimmernav.com sells them for $45. In the US, pre-3/02 models without DSP have the telephone wiring going to the driver's front door speaker only, without amplification. The old telematics modules that came with the older cars had a more powerfull amp built in. Post-3/02 models or those with DSP are wired through the car's amp and into all the speakers.

·
Registered
962 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay thanks for the help, I'm going to order the booster and see how it goes....

On another note, I couldnt manage to open the service mode on my radio.. Its the radio before BM53, so I hit the Info button followed by holding the right ctrl knob on RDS but it just goes back to the main display after 8 seconds....not sure if its something to do with new navigation software or something?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Definitely A. I had a blackberry 7520 and the audio sucked. Switched to an 8703e and the quality got better. Now I have a 9530 storm and the quality is tip top
+1 I agree. After I upgraded to a Gen13 module and latest mic, the volume worked perfectly with my Palm Treo. After switching to my current Blackberry 8800 the volume is now only 50% at best with no way to adjust. Quality on the other end is unchanged and they claim it is still crystal clear. I will have to switch to a Storm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Retrofit

I have a MY2000 with DSP that had a pre-wired phone that I disconnected. What parts will I need other than the bluetooth module and the bluetooth antenna?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts