BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Several months ago I installed a bluetooth retrofit from BMW Bluetooth Retrofit Information. At the time I had a Windows Mobile phone and in the beginning it wouldn't connect to the car. After fiddling around with it I figured out that the issue was a contact with a long name (more than 52 characters). I shortened the name and it started working correctly.

I recently changed my phone to an iPhone 4 and connected it with the car. When I don't synchronize the contacts between the phone and the car, everything works perfectly. However, when I synchronize the contacts, it connects and a couple of seconds later disconnects; then it connects again and disconnects again and so on. I tried removing all contacts and then adding them in groups of several. I added all and it worked, so I though I had a damaged contact. However a couple of days later, without a new contact being added, the same thing happened again.

Does anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Read this thread that I posted. It talks about what your issue is.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I read somewhere (unfortunately I can't seem to find it again) that the initial problem reported might have to do with the ULF version.
But the behavior that firehire describes seems worth testing :)

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I read somewhere (unfortunately I can't seem to find it again) that the initial problem reported might have to do with the ULF version.
But the behavior that firehire describes seems worth testing :)
If he does what I suggested in the thread and he had the same issue as some of us have had, then the fix will work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If he does what I suggested in the thread and he had the same issue as some of us have had, then the fix will work.
I'm not suggesting that your answer isn't correct, I would just like to know the version of the ULF module used as there has been several issues with some of the older versions :)

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I'm not suggesting that your answer isn't correct, I would just like to know the version of the ULF module used as there has been several issues with some of the older versions :)
No prob. I have the 13th Generation of the ULF, so you might be on to something with the older generations.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which version of the ULF module are you using?
I have the 8410 9154358-02 version which is marked as the newest one available.

I added a dummy number to all my contacts (the same for all) and it did not work - same disconnecting with the sound through the speakers as described in the other threads. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have an iPhone 4 paired to my Bluetooth and it has about 270 contacts in it. I have a separate iPod Nano (Gen 3) in the trunk connected to my Intravee. I have never had problems with any popping sounds, but I also haven't done anything specific to "sync contacts" between the phone and the ULF module in the car.

I've always just used the iPhone's voice dialing (which is pretty good) or used the iPhone contact when stopped. On a couple of rare occasions I browsed the iPhone contact through the nav screen, though, and I didn't have to do an explicit sync step to do it. Is there a specific step to do that?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For information for anyone checking this thread later: the bluetooth connection between the iPhone 4 and the ULF works only if these are both true:

- You have phone numbers for every contact (even if it is just some letters)
- The total name of the contact is no longer than 44 characters. The total name is the number of letters in the first, middle, last name and the suffix + all the spaces that the system adds between them automatically.

With the Windows Mobile phone the max length was 54, which means it depends on the phone and the protocol. Always consider the length of the contacts and try with different lengths.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
For information for anyone checking this thread later: the bluetooth connection between the iPhone 4 and the ULF works only if these are both true:

- You have phone numbers for every contact (even if it is just some letters)
- The total name of the contact is no longer than 44 characters. The total name is the number of letters in the first, middle, last name and the suffix + all the spaces that the system adds between them automatically.

With the Windows Mobile phone the max length was 54, which means it depends on the phone and the protocol. Always consider the length of the contacts and try with different lengths.
So is it fixed?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, my iPhone 4 connects to the ULF just find and I definitely have some contacts that are just emails with no phone numbers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts