BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08/00 beast and I tried installing the ULF kit today, but no luck getting it to work. I am using the Advancedautovation kit. I had a CPT 6000 kit which I took out of the car. AA sent a ULF module and BT antenna, plus the 25 pin adapter harness. The car has the latest NAV and 16:9 screen. The blue Voice Input Jumper is there as well. So I hooked it all up, with a pairing button up front rather than a cradle, and following the pairing instructions and .........................nothing happened.

Oh well. Dealer will get his **** money for coding the ULF.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
doubtful that coding will do anything. SO nothing happens when you press the pairing button? I'm not familar with that kit. On my car, the phone paired, i could place a call, but i had no audio. Installing the VR kit solved my problem.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just curious. What pairing button up front are you talking about? The one on the steering wheel cannot be used as a pairing button. Also the VR kit that works with the bluetooth is completely different from the one CPT so the Mic in the headliner does need to be replaced. Also, does the Telephone option show up on the screen? If not, recoding wouldn't do much for you. Good luck.

ALEV8 said:
I have an 08/00 beast and I tried installing the ULF kit today, but no luck getting it to work. I am using the Advancedautovation kit. I had a CPT 6000 kit which I took out of the car. AA sent a ULF module and BT antenna, plus the 25 pin adapter harness. The car has the latest NAV and 16:9 screen. The blue Voice Input Jumper is there as well. So I hooked it all up, with a pairing button up front rather than a cradle, and following the pairing instructions and .........................nothing happened.

Oh well. Dealer will get his **** money for coding the ULF.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
Good point, you have the pairing button in the adapter piece in the center armrest, right? That is needed, at least temporarily to pair the phone. Good call on the nav screen too, if telephone isn't there, something is amiss.

retrofits can be tricky, i have the BT Ulf, the bt mic but still needed the old VR unit (as would be used with a cpt8k) for my car. The ses jumper plug didn't work. perhaps as my bt kit from bimmernav was a prototype, something was not right in the wiring adapter, but it doesn't bother me as long as it works! (which it does). I had mine coded, the only difference is my phone now has ulf##### (#'s are the last 5 of my vin, which i don't remember) rather than a more generic BMW ULF. Worked just the same, before and after.
Mike

SANguru said:
Just curious. What pairing button up front are you talking about? The one on the steering wheel cannot be used as a pairing button. Also the VR kit that works with the bluetooth is completely different from the one CPT so the Mic in the headliner does need to be replaced. Also, does the Telephone option show up on the screen? If not, recoding wouldn't do much for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put the pairing button under the roll-cover compartment, inside the center console, since I have a euro tilt/slide/storage tray armrest. Then, pair the phone, & forget about the pairing button. Also, that is where the phone connection is!

The only connection I made to the ULF module was to the DB25 connector from the car which is black, plus the antenna (FAKRA) connection.

I don't think AA sent the wrong kit b/c you have to give your VIN, presumably so they know your M5's wiring specs?

I thought something would utilize the blue plug & jumper in the install, apparently not? Just a jumper that plugs into that plug and nothing more?

I'll check into the mic issue as well.

Not sure what the VR module looks like.......or if I ever had one. Supposedly, the 01/01 on M5 has the CPT7000 or CPT8000 phone and that is what was removed.

I am at a loss.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ALEV8 said:
I put the pairing button under the roll-cover compartment, inside the center console, since I have a euro tilt/slide/storage tray armrest. Then, pair the phone, & forget about the pairing button. Also, that is where the phone connection is!

The only connection I made to the ULF module was to the DB25 connector from the car which is black, plus the antenna (FAKRA) connection.

I don't think AA sent the wrong kit b/c you have to give your VIN, presumably so they know your M5's wiring specs?

I thought something would utilize the blue plug & jumper in the install, apparently not? Just a jumper that plugs into that plug and nothing more?

I'll check into the mic issue as well.

Not sure what the VR module looks like.......or if I ever had one. Supposedly, the 01/01 on M5 has the CPT7000 or CPT8000 phone and that is what was removed.

I am at a loss.
Did you ever get your issue resolved? I recently successfully did the install myself... just trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NO!!!!
I can't speak to my callers and the VR won't work (consistent with no outbound mic function).
ULF pairs up beautifully and I can hear everything.....but I can't talk back!
The mic is brand new.
AA recommends I check the continuity of the mic wiring for a short. I have no idea how to do this but I do have a REALLY nice digital multimeter.
ANY help is appreciated.

-alex

·
Registered
29 Posts
ALEV8 said:
NO!!!!
I can't speak to my callers and the VR won't work (consistent with no outbound mic function).
ULF pairs up beautifully and I can hear everything.....but I can't talk back!
The mic is brand new.
AA recommends I check the continuity of the mic wiring for a short. I have no idea how to do this but I do have a REALLY nice digital multimeter.
ANY help is appreciated.

-alex
is there any chance you plugged the mic into the wrong plug? the garage door opener plug looks similar and i think there was another plug up there that would fit.... It's obvious the issue is mic related.... that's most likely why the VR won't work, because it doesn't ever receive anything. I'd check there first.

Do you have NAV? Does your nav respond to Voice commands.... like scale??

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have the Mk4 Nav retrofitted and it won't respond to voice commands either.
If I have the wrong plug then why can I hear? It's possible though I suppose. That might be it. I never fished around but instead unplugged the existing mic and put the new one in its spot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ALEV8 said:
Yes I have the Mk4 Nav retrofitted and it won't respond to voice commands either.
If I have the wrong plug then why can I hear? It's possible though I suppose. That might be it. I never fished around but instead unplugged the existing mic and put the new one in its spot.
If you have the ceiling apart, it is very easy to plug them in incorrectly.... I almost did! That would explain why you can hear and not talk though! Go outside and check.... those pieces just pull down.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just replaced the old mic that was there......but the wiring could be wrong I suppose. Maybe the mic and homelink are mixed up?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my 00, the garage door and mic have different plugs so that's not it, although there was a plug up there that is WIDE and maybe has 7 pins or so. I dunno what that is! the plug that goes into the mic has ONE wire that has loose shielding around it that looks a bit sketchy at its connecton. there are 3 wires total in that connector & it's part of a harness that runs in the center of the roof. Other than the weird WIDE connection that is unused, I can't seem to find another loose connector, but then I didn't look all that hard......................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts