BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was perusing the bluetooth website which I discovered while on the X5 website, but before getting the basic kit is it really worth the $500+? Now yes I like cool M5 toys but what do I gain from the bluetooth kit?

·
Registered
158 Posts
You gain bluetooth:) <br><br>What you gain is a fairly integrated phone system that allows you to use your bluetooth cell phone rather than sticking you with an aging piece of technology like the phones that used to come with the cars. <br><br>When I purchased my '00, it had the CPT8000 phone - nice if you want to continue to use TDMA (mine was ATT) and have phone from the dark ages - but not so nice if you want to modernize and have it work in the vehicle. <br><br>The cost of the upgrade is minor relative to the cost of the car, and the integration with my Moto v551 is excellent. <br><br>Summary : Hands-free, phonebook integration (on most phones), integration with the car audio system (stereo mutes when phone is ringing or in use), voice dial, voice recognition for the nav (if you don't already have it)<br><br>Highly recommended, if you can't tell. Another good source of information is www.bimmernav.com. He sells the conversion kits but not the bluetooth modules.<br><br>

·
10,455 Posts
another vote from me, i love the bt system, phone can be in my pocket, briefcase, or the cradle. Phone book on the nav screen, voice recog, etc.
Mike

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went ahead and purchased the $600 kit with the cradle and antenna in the C pillar, ostensibly so I may take advantage of the existing antenna on the rear window, and have a cradle to charge the phone if need be. One thing though, I am unsure if the website asked for my cellphone type or if I need the latest microphone.........I guess I'll find out!

·
10,455 Posts
ALEV8 said:
I went ahead and purchased the $600 kit with the cradle and antenna in the C pillar, ostensibly so I may take advantage of the existing antenna on the rear window, and have a cradle to charge the phone if need be. One thing though, I am unsure if the website asked for my cellphone type or if I need the latest microphone.........I guess I'll find out!
1. there are different cradles, snap in adapters is the 'correct' term, for different phones. I wonder what you'll get if they don't ask?

2. I do think you want the latest microphone, i've heard some people who had trouble with the bt had an older mic.

mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
mike, what do i need to do to convert my car to bluetooth. the car is pre wired , but for the old system . can it be safely done so that i can use it with my voice recog. & on the screen ? of course dealer said can not be done . just as they said sirius could not be added to a oo beast.just love proving them wrong ,and that is'nt very hard to do.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Everything is possible :cool:

The BT module(from bimmernav) has limited VR capability. You have to remove your existing VR module.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Uh, well-

If you use bluetooth you are basically stuck with a GSM only phone.

And despite what marketing tells you it doesn't have the coverage of the "old" technology.

Now, if you've replaced your service recently you've probably already been hoodwinked into giving up TDMA/CDMA and are using GSM. If that's the case, sure- go for BT.

There ARE other solutions outside of either a BMW BT module or a CPT8000 phone....

A

PS I still have a GAIT phone... GSM or TDMA or Analog.

·
10,455 Posts
JCB466 said:
mike, what do i need to do to convert my car to bluetooth. the car is pre wired , but for the old system . can it be safely done so that i can use it with my voice recog. & on the screen ? of course dealer said can not be done . just as they said sirius could not be added to a oo beast.just love proving them wrong ,and that is'nt very hard to do.
Check out www.bmwbluetooth.com as i think they were/are the same prouduct as bimmernav.com. Essentially, you are paying for the most up to date bt module with some custome wiring harnesses to plug the new parts into the old harnesses. It is all plug and play. You can keep your current VR module, in fact, my system did not work until i installed a VR module (which is odd, as the bt module has Vr built in).
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts