BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My phone (ATT blackberry curve 8310) takes nearly a minute (45-55 seconds every time) to pair with the car. I recently had a loaner x5 and 528 that paired literally in seconds.

I know a minute isn't that long - the problem is I always seem to get a call right when I get in and start up and can't hear the caller on the phone or in the car.

Mainly just curious if this is normal for the M5 or a problem with my car or my phone.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
232 Posts
My phone takes a bit to pair as well (an average of about 40 seconds each time I start up the car), but I had this same issue in my 335i too. After much experimenting, it turns out that the bootup process is just getting more and more complex as more code gets added to the iDrive system with newer and newer versions of code. Judging by what I've seen, it seems to me that it's not a multi-threaded parallel application at all, so while your Sat radio, nav disc, and other junk are loading your phone is waiting in line to get some CPU time to do its normal pairing process. To prove this, while your iDrive is pairing your phone, try to increase the volume of your music... you'll see first hand that it can't multi-task :)

Just my observations...

-F

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
If I hit the unlock button on the way to my car, my Black Berry synchs within a few seconds. If I don't hit unlock (car is in garage) it takes a minute to synch. So what I am saying is that you need to wake the computer in the car before you get it so it's ready for you. I have tried this numerous times. The more time you give the computer the quicker the IPOD, BT, nav, etc are ready to go. Think about it, when you turn your computer on at the office how long does it take to open your email?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yah, the BMW boots the iDrive system as soon as any power related action is taken. (ie: Unlocking the car with the remote, or touching the door handle with comfort access, or opening the trunk). In fact if you listen carefully if you're close enough, as soon as you do it you'll hear a few things "turn on". That starts the booting process, and depending on how slow you get into the car, by the time you start and are ready to go your system will be ready to pair the phone.

-F

·
Registered
147 Posts
I find the same problem with my Sony Ericsson 880i.

It takes ages to get ready to talk.

Same issues with the general boot up proceedure. I can change the radio channel or the volume (ar anything for that matter) until it has finished processing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts