BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who has the latest bluetooth kit from BMW know if the Treo 650 is compatible, and if so is everything functional with the steering wheel controls?
Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
252 Posts
The 650 only came out a couple of weeks ago and only for Sprint AFAIK.....if you have one already you may be the first M5 owner to get one, so you might have to be the "Guinea pig" on this one! :2: I have a 600 now and have been interested to see how the GSM 650, when it comes out, will work with the M5 BT kit. :M5eyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
03E39M5 said:
The 650 only came out a couple of weeks ago and only for Sprint AFAIK.....if you have one already you may be the first M5 owner to get one, so you might have to be the "Guinea pig" on this one! :2: I have a 600 now and have been interested to see how the GSM 650, when it comes out, will work with the M5 BT kit. :M5eyes:
Yes, I already have one, so hopefully someone with a bluetooth kit can test it out.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I have a friend with the 650 and an 03 M5 with BT. He says it works -but the catch is you have to leave your phone on. He bought a lighter adapter to facilitate this without draining the battery. He says you get access to your favorites, but not to the entire contacts database. Hes pretty happy with it.

I use Verizon so I am stuck with the "lowly" Treo 600 :crying: lol. I actually like it very much and Verizon offers the best coverage where I am so I will be happy to wait for the 650 whenever in the next decade they get around to releasing it! Then you lucky Sprint customers will be on the Tero 8 million! ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here's a good source of info on BT and the 650:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=64916

Sounds like BT on the Treo 650 is very troublesome on the BMW HF system. This was from a fellow with a 2003 M3 who had just paid the stealer $800 for the BT HF system (MEnthusiast, this might help your friend):

“Thought I would share what I have learned with the BMW bluetooth to see if it helps anyone else.

I also had the same problem with the phone losing bluetooth connection. No problems with initial pairing procedure.

2 things which seemed to help:

1) enable wakeup
2) cancel autolock mode on the phone.

It seemed that I would always lose bluetooth connection when the phone would go off. Enabling wakeup and canceling autolock greatly reduced the frequency that this would happen. However, it does still happen on a rare occasion.

This does not solve all the bugs by any means. I still have problems with disconnecting the handsfree. When I do push the disconnect button on the phone, it disconnects for a few seconds and then reconnects over the speakers. Anyway, hope this helps

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you cancel "autolock", your battery life will decrease exponentially, right? I mean, the battery life with autolock enabled isn't GREAT, and with autolock disabled, I'm guessing it would be horrible. It's nice to connect it to power to keep the phone on charge while driving, but isn't the point of bluetooth that it's WIRELESS? Just throw the phone in the trunk and go?

Too bad they can't make this interface more compatible...I think I'll keep my Treo 600 until these "issues" are resolved.

:cheers:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hello all,

I have the new 650 as well, and have just put in my pre-order for the new ARGOS Bluetooth integration system provided by Aardvark. Please see attached email. I will give full details as soon as I have the system in.

Brian

Hey Brian –<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Great to meet and speak with you at SEMA. I wanted to check with you to see if you wanted me to put you on the pre-order list for the ARGOS Bluetooth integration kit. We have the deals in place with the manufacturer and anticipate being able to ship the completed product by the end of January. I know from our previous conversations that you were interested in the Bluetooth product but wanted to see it in person first at SEMA. If you want me to put you on the list, let me know and I will make sure you have product from the first grouping. The flyer we had at SEMA is attached for your review. The retail cost is $450 plus $12 shipping. I have all the rest of your info for the pre-order. I just need your ok. Once the product is here, I will call for credit card and shipping information.<o:p></o:p>

Hope you have a great holiday. Thanks again for stopping in to see us.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Michelle Stobart<o:p></o:p>

Project Manager<o:p></o:p>

Aardvark Multimedia<o:p></o:p>

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">140 Gross Street</st1:address></st1:Street>, <st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">Ste.</st1:Street> 165</st1:address><o:p></o:p>

<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Marietta</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">OH</st1:State> <st1:postalCode w:st="on">45750</st1:postalCode></st1:place><o:p></o:p>

740.374.8599<o:p></o:p>

[email protected]<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

·
Registered
300 Posts
ALLO ALLO chaps

err - happy new year to all yous mooks

Tis I - M5 Mark your friendly neighborhood Britt

So after some hostile negotiations with sprint for a few hours they finally played with my account enough to chuck in the 650 for free -

So..... after the lengthy testing process should I consider a go / no go from the 650 and the Bluetooth kit for my O3 Beastie

I seem to remember something about ensuring I get the latest B/t bits but I can’t seem to find the part numbers - my dealer ensures me he has the correct gear but u never know

Any suggestions chaps - any solution to keeping the battery in the phone charged without using the lighter socket.

Many thanks chaps

Hope u are all well

See u out there :D

M5Mark

P.S – Jerry how are u mate???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My sprint treo 650 works well. I can only see the favorites pages phone numbers on the display, and it sounds best when I place the over directly over the bluetooth module on the armrest. I find it acceptable, as I usually call the same few number from my car if I need to talk to anybody. It answers phone calls abrubtly, as the stereo will cut out and the person is on the line right away, no ringing when called. You still hear the ring when you place a call.

Hope that helps,
Phil

·
Registered
136 Posts
i too am on the wait list for the new Argos system. sounds promising. once i get that, i'll get a bt phone as well. not sure which phone or service to get.hmm.. razr v3 probably.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Good Evening Chaps

Phill

am i to undersand that the phone doesnt ring at all when u receive an incomming call - it just picks up!!!

NO BUENO - i dont like the sound of that

u cant use the pickup / hangup button on the wheel????

is there a setting that can disable this "auto answer"

any other intresting little quirks i should knowa bout before i drop loot on the b/t kit. infact - how much should i be paying for the install including parts and lab??

thanks chaps

see u out there

M5Mar:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jimmy Hill said:
Good Evening Chaps

Phill

am i to undersand that the phone doesnt ring at all when u receive an incomming call - it just picks up!!!

NO BUENO - i dont like the sound of that

u cant use the pickup / hangup button on the wheel????

is there a setting that can disable this "auto answer"

any other intresting little quirks i should knowa bout before i drop loot on the b/t kit. infact - how much should i be paying for the install including parts and lab??

thanks chaps

see u out there

M5Mar:D
Yes, but you can use the hangup button on the steering wheel to end the call or start your own call, which you can hear the ringing if you initiate the call. The BT kit is around 700 bucks installed. Despite the quirks, it is worth it as the hands free is nice.
Phil

·
Registered
300 Posts
Update time

Afternoon Chaps

after the install and the phone purchase here is what i have to offer (and it aint much)

First off
one can disable the auto answer in the phone setup -

secondly

my car doesn not pair with the phone - it just sits there blinking at me and doest even say an error message it just sits there constantly trying to pare and has to be re-set for the screen to go away

on the other hand the phone does pair with the car and thinks its a headset or some such device

this has caused a significant problem

i think the phone is preset to a certain volume level for a headset as such the volume over the car speaker when receiving a call and the mic volume is amost totaly unusable - NO BUENO

the volume contorl on the phone does nothing, the volume control on the car that used to alter the speaker volume of the phone does nothing and the voice command volume adjustment doesn nothing

secondly

bmw's official statement is that they dont considder the 650 a bluetooth phone, they considder it a bluetooth pda and as such they have not done anything to ensure it bloody works nor dies it look like they will any time soon

thridly -= i have untli the 21st of the monht to retun the 650 - i have already found another sprint 8000 so i am on standbuy

does ANYONE have any solutions to this??

am i the only one that is having these problems??

Many Thanks Chaps

M5mark:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow...that sucks. I take back my previous statement about buying my 600 too early...guess I won't worry about upgrading for bluetooth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts