BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I get blue tooth cell phones? Will it just connect in the next M5 without dealer charges? If two blue tooth cell phones are in the car how does that work? Has anyone got blue tooth in their BMW and how does it work?

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Have heard a lot about this.. My dad decided to order it in his car (not signed yet, still need to determine leather and colours) as he find his current mobile-to-car system as a must-have. No personal experience with it though. But, as far as I've heard it should connect to the pre-chosen phone if there are two bluetooth phones in the car.

"Will it just connect in the next M5 without dealer charges?"

I'm not sure what you exactly mean by this question, but it is extra equipment..?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Extra charges:

I got the impression blue tooth would be standard in the M5 and therefore not equipment charges.

I'm wondering about a activation or other charges.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bluetooth is an option in switzerland. It costs approx. 600US$. You have to couple the devices (phone and car) by exchanging a passkey. Not all phones work. I would go to a dealer with your current phone and try it out. I did this with my Orange SPV C500 signature phone, it worked very well. There are no charges beside the bluetooth kit. If you have another phone which is not coupled with the car it won't interphere.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ganzbaf said:
Bluetooth is an option in switzerland. It costs approx. 600US$. You have to couple the devices (phone and car) by exchanging a passkey. Not all phones work. I would go to a dealer with your current phone and try it out. I did this with my Orange SPV C500 signature phone, it worked very well. There are no charges beside the bluetooth kit. If you have another phone which is not coupled with the car it won't interphere.
Thanks good explaination. We will have to see if the equipment is standard here when the car arrives in the late fall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We do have it (BT) on our 545i. Sony ericson works fine with it. Samsung D500 works but is unable to share its adress repertory... :(.

Anyway it's a great option. U just have to enter in your car when u turn on the engine of your car, your mobilephone will connect automaticaly. Voice recon will work over BT.

Going tomorrow evening at my BMW Dealership in Geneva for a test drive of the M5.... we will have the car for all night ;o))))))))))))))

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sank_ch said:
Going tomorrow evening at my BMW Dealership in Geneva for a test drive of the M5.... we will have the car for all night ;o))))))))))))))
Are you lucky, that would never happen here. :sad1:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
Should I get blue tooth cell phones? Will it just connect in the next M5 without dealer charges? If two blue tooth cell phones are in the car how does that work? Has anyone got blue tooth in their BMW and how does it work?

Thanks for looking.
Blutooth never really worked in our m5 and the car cant read your adressbook, just sim-entries! it's a big crap! dont get it!

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Jim,
Get it with the caveat of maybe you want to have the BT feature + the hardwired phone to cover all bases. All the car companies absolutely 100% hate being in the cell phone business. They can't get the latest phones their customers demand because their orders are tiny compared to Verizon or Sprint, etc. Bluetooth is a way out for everyone. Now they can sell you a phone with a common interface (BT) and you can take it anywhere. Even to another car. At some point in the future, they will no longer sell a hardwired phone and it will all be BT. The day they no longer have to sell you a phone that gets wired into the car cannot come soon enough for them. Do you know the #1 complaint the car manufacturers get? Yes its the phone! Their hands are tied with the old way and BT gets them free.

I have a BT keyboard for my computer and a BT headset for my BT phone. Both work great. Yes, be sure that particular model of phone will work with the car because BT is fairly new with cars and electronics is really not BMWs #1 strength. But as time wears on, I'd imagine that more and more BT phones will work with BMWs. One thing to be aware of BT is a short range transmission protocol. So someone standing maybe 50 feet away could not grab your signal- but it can be hacked and from what I read- the experts recommend turning off the BT if you are going into a mall, airport or other crowded place. You don't want your personal info getting out there!

·
Registered
82 Posts
max_m5 said:
Blutooth never really worked in our m5 and the car cant read your adressbook, just sim-entries! it's a big crap! dont get it!
Thats a bit of a sweeping statement!

It is not crap at all. Its only crap if you can't get it to work with your phone. I had problems, but I now have updated the firmware on my Nokia phone and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It works flawless with SE T630 and SE K700i in my car.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Earlier this year (production week 9) BMW stopped offering the BMW Professional cordless in-car SIM based telephone (option 538) on all E60 5 series cars. This is a shame because I have it on my E39 and it's great.

This leaves Bluetooth option (it is an option) as the only in-car telephone system offered on the E60. I have, therefore, chosen it as I use my carphone a lot.

Don't forget that you will need a compatible handset and a suitable cradle (supplied by your BMW dealer). I am going to get the new Nokia 8800.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.